main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned this.....

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: TCG' started by Loyal-Guard, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyal-Guard

Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    Unless they have, and i just haven't seen it.

Recently, on a trip to Seattle, I stopped by a mall where they had a Wizards of the Coast store. I had been there before, and bought a few packs of TCG cards.

Posted up everywhere were Going out of Buisness signs. I went in and found out that all of WOTC's retail stores were closing up shop. The lady there told me the company was phasing out their retail division. She also slyly told me that since WOTC laid off a bunch of designers that now the Seattle area was full of people desigining their own games. (I don't know if this part is true or not, just thought id add it.)

Kind of a bummer, since I've been having a hard enough time finding cards. But since they were having a sale, I walked out of there with about thirty boosters of BOY cards at nearly 75 percent off. Came out of the whole deal with three rare Death Stars. Not too shabby.

In an additional note, I stopped by that comic shop that's in the lower level of the Pike's Place Market (i dont know if anyone knows what im talking about). They're pretty iffy about carrying anything to do with SW, but in a giant box of loose booster packs that were discounted, i dug through it and was able to get about 12 five card ANH boosters for next to nothing. I guess if i wait long enough these things will trickle down.

Just wondering if anyone else out there heard or experienced first hand the WOTC store closings.

thanks for reading.

2. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    their "Gamemaster" stores? i read about it a while back, although we don't get cool places like that in the UK :(

3. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    A few months ago the WOTC store in San Diego had a giant sale before it closed. It was a bummer, and I still didn't find the items I was looking for. [face_frustrated]

4. Valoisian

Valoisian Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2003
    Yes, this news has been "out there" for awhile. I'd suggest starting to hit up your local gaming stores to stock the product. Buying from them when you're there should increase their interest.
    If all else fails, there are several internet sites that sell boxes, packs, and singles.
    Personally, I've had a horrible time trying to get interest in mid/Southern Kansas, so I buy online...but every once and awhile I'll try those local stores again (typically before a new set is released).
    jz

5. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Hopefully when ep3 comes out this will give Wizards a huge boost for the game.

6. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    Hopefully when ep3 comes out this will give Wizards a huge boost for the game. \

Hear, hear! (or is it, "Here, here!")

Either way, I second that emotion!

7. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Loyal-Guard, I live in the Seattle area and have been to that exact same card shop on the lower level of Pike Place market. In fact, that store holds a special place in my heart since about 5 years ago (maybe more?) I was on vacation here from Tucson, AZ and I walked into that store and bought two SWCCG starter decks. Everything took off from there including my passion for CCGs/TCGs and some of my "nerd career" of writing for TFN and SW Insider. See this link before it goes away when they update the page (since I stepped down from duties here).

Anyway, I wanted to mention that when I saw your post! That store is a bit pricey though, they were selling Marvel TCG packs for about $4.75 or so. But every time I am at Pike Place market (which I try to avoid at all costs), I will go into that store and after coveting all the life sized cardboard SW figures at the entrance (and having my backpack confinscated at the counter as standard procedure), I will take a stroll down memory lane....

8. Loyal-Guard

Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    That's awesome!!! I'm so glad someone knows what im talking about. I like the store too, but yea they are kind of pricey. And like i said, the last couple of times ive been in there, they've had kind of a 'tude about Star Wars merchandise and what not.

Still, lots of cool stuff there if you look hard enough. That store is where I was introduced to Steve Jackson card games like Munchkin or Frag. Or other similer things like Lunch Money.

If you go poking around the far wall, theve got some pretty cool vintage SW toys and figures, including a massive Ep I Queen's Starship, that I dont even remember coming out. I mention that since one of the guys there told me they avoid new trilogy toys like the plauge.

Dig those cardboard figures at the entrance too. I would have bought one, but I dont think there was anyway I could have got bikini leia on the airplane without folding her in half. Arrrrrhhh. My girlfriend said she'd try to send it to me, but she didnt want to look stupid carrying it out of the market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.