main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph I'm looking for some good Batman novels

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    After reading the novelizations of No Man's Land and Knightfall, I'm looking for some more good batman novels to pick up. Not graphic novels, mind you, but actual book novels. Anyone know of any good ones I should try and get?

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    No Man's Land is the cream of the crop. I seem to recall that Dennis O'Neil's adaptation of Knightfall was pretty good.

Forthcoming are Batman novels by Michael Reaves (whom you may know if you read SW novels), John Shirley (good SFF/horror writer) and Alexander C. Irvine (very talented writer who's also writing an Ultimates novel). All will be published by Del Rey.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Forthcoming are Batman novels by Michael Reaves (whom you may know if you read SW novels), John Shirley (good SFF/horror writer) and Alexander C. Irvine (very talented writer who's also writing an Ultimates novel). All will be published by Del Rey.

I hadn't heard about this. I'm quite happy to hear it. Do you have a link?

The only Batman novel I've read was No Man's Land because collecting the comic would be way too expensive. A great novel. I do have a ecent book "JLA" by Chris Golden so I'll have to see how that one is.

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Those are the only good ones to date IMO.

5. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    I don't remember the name, but the only Batman novel I've read (and own) involves a child sex ring in Thailand or something.

EDIT: It's called The Ultimate Evil

[face_plain]

6. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't know what's going on with the Reaves novel. It's been pushed back and retitled over and over; who knows if it will actually come out. The Shirley novel is called Dead White, IIRC -- I think it's listed on Amazon. Alex Irvine mentioned his comic novels in an interview at SFW some time ago.

7. NightHunter319

NightHunter319 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    Hush is a nice little read.

Can anyone let me in on No Mans Land story? I've seen it at Borders and am wondering if its worth the read

8. darth-ermac

darth-ermac Jedi Master star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    The novel adaptation of "No Man's Land" is by Greg Rucka, who co-wrote the comics version and had a run on the Batman flagship book and co-wrote GCPD. As well as writing "The OMAC Project". It's a good adaptation of the comics, but it's also best to read all five volumes.

Batman novels I can recommend, but most of these you'll have to find off of E-Bay as they're long out of print.

-The Batman Murders
    -Catwoman: Treasure Hunt
    -Captured By The Engines
    -The Further Adventures Of Batman volume one
    -The Further Adventures Of Batman volume two: Featuring the Penguin
    -The Further Adventures Of Batman volume three: Featuring Catwoman
    -The Batman novel that's part of a JLA storyline
    -The Death & Life Of Superman (Cameo)
    -Kingdom Come adaptation of the comic book mini-series

9. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    That was actually an interesting book. And disturbing, because it's based off of true situations.

10. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005

i agree. my library has a copy of that book, otherwise i probably never would have heard of it. but if you can get your hands on a copy it's a definitely interesting read.

11. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Mar 1, 2003
    No man's land I didn't especially like because it felt like more of a Jim Gordon novel than a Batman novel, though I haven't read it in years. Personally, I like stories that feature the bat-family more so than batman.

12. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    As many have already said, the NML and Knightfall novelizations seem to be the best ones. Even the 'Batman Begins' novelization (written by Denny O'Neil) was rather dissapointing.

And someone mentioning NML as a 'Jim Gordon novel', that is precisely why I love NML. The focus on Gordon (and on his relationship with Sarah 'sacrificial lamb' Essen) was a breath of fresh air. Rucka's use of Oracle's narration (an intimate narration not only recording events, but Barbara's feelings and emotions) also helped to give the novel a unique feel. It is one of the few books where I actually cried at the end.

13. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Alex Irvine reports:
    I just finished revisions on Batman: Inferno, a novel about Batman's early career. Look for it in December from Del Rey.

14. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Maybe Batman's just become too dependant on pre-packaged visuals or maybe it's because these books often have a hard time tightroping between fantasy and reality, but I've hated just about every Batman book I've ever read, and I love Batman.

In fact, the only Batman book I've ever finished is the novelization for 'Batman Begins,' which I really loved. It's written by Dennis O'Neil (who wrote the novelization of 'Knightfall' as well as oversaw all the Batman titles from about 1986 to 1996) and it's sharp, credible, and really adds things of genuine value to the story. Specifically, there are prolonged passages in which Bruce discovers Ra's al Ghul's origin, which is taken virtually verbatim from the graphic novel, 'The Birth of the Demon,' which Dennis O'Neil himself wrote.)

And speaking of translating Batman into other mediums, has anybody here heard the BBC radio drama of 'Knightfall'? It's TERRIBLE! I had it as a kid and I just listened to it again, it is unfathomable how anybody could produce such lame trash.

15. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    [image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0345479440.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

16. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Mar 1, 2003
    Thanks for the updates, Mastadge. That cover looks pretty interesting. Do we know what Dead White is going to be about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.