main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO I'm looking to pitch a Star Wars offline RPG to Bioware set after Return of the Jedi

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MasterSanders, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterSanders

MasterSanders Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2014
    Well I have been wanting a game like KOTOR and KOTOR 2 in the Star Wars universe set after ROTJ since I played KOTOR, and I'm still waiting for the next excellent Star Wars game.... I thought to myself if no one is going to make it on their own then I have to step up and put the work in so that we all can benefit.... I have recently began a new project compiling and researching for a future RPG video game with many unique storylines,features, and options, that follows the expanded universe.... (details will come after storyline completion, game specific features, and other ideas are under copyright, I don't want yall to steal my ideas sorry).... I am currently putting together a concept document, multimedia presentation, storyline, dragon age toolset demo and musical composition to pitch to the concept team at Bioware for this game.... I am also looking for people to help especially in the area of graphic design and coding for the game... If you are a capable programmer or graphic designer and would like to be involved on the ground floor of what could be the next big Star Wars game please let me know.... I have already worked out what characters, stories, time period, villains, the works, but I need help putting together a demo and the graphic renderings to present to the Concept Directors at Bioware.... If you love the expanded universe books and wish you could play them, that is what I am trying to do.... So if you want to play as Luke, Han, Boba Fett, and other expanded universe characters, then please lend me your support and I promise if the game moves to pre-production and finally released you will share in the dividends.... Also I have a couple other side project ios based mini-games I would also like to pitch or potentially just make if I could meet the right programmer who could do the coding.... Basically I have all these ideas and just need someone to help me bring them to life.... Please get back to me and let me know, if not I will pitch the idea with everything I have the ability to do, but with an excellent demo to go along with the great storylines, game features, presentation, and musical composition I think it will definitely get bought.... I hope to hear from some of yall soon.... Have a good one....

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I cannot imagine they would be remotely interested in being remotely interested sorry.

3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    While your effort is commendable, BioWare is a AAA studio owned by a massive publisher. They have people that are paid to do this, and the concept stage involves much more than just demonstrating the potential game. You've got to be able to sell it to the publisher - this game is going to appeal to this target demographic based on these things.

The manner in which you throw around words such as copyright suggests you are inexperienced. If you really have a passion for this, I'd suggest buying a book and learning basic coding, and creating games by yourself. If you wished to get into a developer such as BioWare, proving to them that you already know your stuff is better than any degree a college/university will give you.

4. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    Well I appreciate your feedback and I understand that it may be a feeble attempt at best, but I think that I have a groundbreaking concept, storylines, and many other great ideas to bring to the table.... I am a musician who has always loved star wars and I know that I can at very least wow them with my ability to do musical compositions and voiceover acting which is always needed in the gaming industry, however I determined that I would 1. Try to pitch a video game idea to Bioware Austin since I live in Texas and give them a very good picture of the game with art renderings of characters, in depth storylines, missions laid out, game features and specs, and really give passionate presentation, which is not that hard for a huge star wars fan, but one that has a lot of theatre, teaching, and public speaking experience I believe that I can give an amazing presentation that would show them everything they would need to know about the game, down to the details of what controls do what on each console and on pc.... Also I plan to show all the market research data on star wars games and also show the market research on the sales of the Star Wars novels and how popular they really are, because most of the authors in the expanded universe end up being on the new york times bestseller list so I know that they have to be nationally a big hit if not internationally.... Also I have done quite a bit of research and pitching an idea to an established developer such as Bioware you do not necessarilly have to have a finished product, because they make video games, thats what they do so I don't have to have a completed game to pitch to them.... I know I could not possibly have the patience to do coding I'm just not wired like that hence why I asked people on this site who could very well be expert programmers and very strong in the force of game code... Now I could very well do all the work and nothing happen and then its just an amazing idea with nothing to show for it, but then I wouldn't have tried and better to have a passion for something and try than to not try at all.... And besides the point I don't have anything better to do so why the hell not.... 2) I also am going to submit a novel to del rey and do the audiobook recording and send them in, because as I stated earlier I know I am excellent at a few things playing music, acting, writing, and doing lots of voices. So if the whole video game doesn't pan out which it very well might not then I'm hoping that I can cash in that way.... Either way I hope that I can make such a good impression in the presentation of both of these mediums that I can at the very least get a job with one of these companies doing voice over work, scriptwriting, concept team, or any job available really.... I've been out of work for a while and have really gone into a deep depression so Star Wars has literally been the only thing keeping me sane and of course my girlfriend, my family, etc, but in my own private time at home I have just sit and listened to star wars audiobooks and play star wars video games.... I know yall don't know me and you have no concept of knowing how talented I am or to what extent I plan to go over the top with this presentation, but I promise you this at the very least I will have had a big ole hairy set of balls to aspire to sell a great idea about 2 of my favorite things - Video games and star wars, and honestly thats more than most of people do.... But who knows in 6 months I could have a lot of money doing what I love, but if I don't even try I will just feel like more of a failure than I already do.... So I appreciate your attempts to make me stop and give me a reality check, but I'm not asking for your opinion on whether or not I can do it, because 1 you don't know me and 2 I don't care what you think because I don't know you yet.... But I promise you this I will have tried my hardest and I will do a damn good job.... And hell if none of it works out I still have a hot girlfriend who believes in me so at the end of the day I'm still getting laid with no job and working on video games that may never get made, and having all of my bills paid by rich relatives so either way i'm cool with it....

5. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Bioware's last foray into the Star Wars universe, SWTOR, wasn't nearly as successful as they'd hoped. They wanted to challenge WoW with it and now it's running on a free to play model. Bioware is far more focused on original IPs than using existing settings (a move that began when they originally started working on Dragon Age years ago.) I imagine that this is a pitch that would need to be directed at Disney, who would then go on to find their own developer.

If you're more interested in just working for Bioware, you should play to your strengths--build a portfolio of your voice acting and musical work and send it in with a resume. If you don't have a lot of experience so far, it might be hard to break into a large established company like Bioware...but by offering your services at acting/music to modding projects, you can probably put something together down the road! People running mod projects are already handling the coding and management side of things, and you'd be able to focus on your talents--for example, heavy modding to Skyrim has used plenty of additional music scores and voices for new NPCs. It'd probably be fun, be a new experience, and give you practice at actually working on games.

(Also, you'll probably want to use paragraph breaks in your write-up/pitch)

07jonesj likes this.
  6. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014

Once again I appreciate your advice and your good ideas, but I am still going to do this no matter what because I love star wars and I love RPGs.... One thing that you need to know though is that Disney has sold EA the rights to make future Star Wars games, and EA has 3 major developers, and their main developer Bioware released SWTOR, and I'm sure that EA will continue to use Bioware for all other Star Wars projects.... Also Bioware did KOTOR and KOTOR 2 and they were both incredibly succesful, their only mistake was trying to become like WoW.... I play SWTOR and it is a good game, but I still wish it was more like KOTOR and less like SWTOR... I want have some very original ideas for combat and how they are implemented and I believe it will do extremely well... Besides that I also have 2 other game ideas that should have already been made years ago and I know that I can sell them easily if not to Bioware then to EA at least.... And also I have an amazing idea for a new star wars book.... I want to make it very force driven and jedi centric but set after Crucible and FOTJ.... Also would like to try on a new character I have an idea for that will bring 2 worlds together in a big way... Another thing Bioware wasn't the one who messed up SWTOR it was EA rushing the launch date and putting too much pressure on Bioware... Anyways I've done quite a bit of research and even looked on the bioware website and they even have tips and advice for pitching games to them, so I will get my advice from Bioware itself and I will proceed with my dream... I appreciate yall's attempts to bring me to reality or try to help me in some way, but once again I don't need your approval or go ahead I'm telling you what I'm doing and if you want to help or want to do the same thing then that's the help I'm looking for.... I'm not really looking for tips on how not to do what I want to do, that isn't going to get me anywhere.... Jones and Aragorn you both have some valid points and I can see that you might be trying to help or just discourage me alltogether, but either way I'm going to do this... When I do something I have to go all in if I'm going to get the results I want, so that's what I'm doing....

7. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    MasterSanders,

First of all, welcome to the boards. We are very happy to have someone as extraordinary as you in a while; probably since Nailbiter's time (He revolutionized the gaming graphics cards you see in the market today). :)

Do you remember the moment in Episode IV when Luke Skywalker was being chased by Darth Vader in the Death Star trench? Do you remember the script?

BEN'S VOICE: Use the Force, Luke.
    BEN'S VOICE: Let go, Luke.
    VADER: The Force is strong with this one!
    BEN'S VOICE: Luke, trust me.
    BASE VOICE: (over speaker) His computer's off. Luke, you switched off your targeting computer. What's wrong?
    LUKE: (over speaker) Nothing. I'm all right.

You have done just that – telling the previous posters that nothing's wrong and you are all right. I commend you for having the courage and wit to do just that. Forget about starting small, creating skins, modding, map design and building a portfolio. For example, just look at previous posters on these boards like jp-30 who slaved away with making Jedi Knight skins for ages and look where he is today. Working at world class companies like Bioware? Nope. Other failed character's include The2ndQuest and MarcusP2; ending up as TFN moderators. Do you want to be a TFN moderator for the rest of your life? I didn't think so.

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. Go big or go home. Like you mentioned you are interested in creating a videogame, voice-over acting, character design, storyline, writing a book – I think that's not dreaming big enough – you need to diversify your focus and also create a mini-series or short movie or trailer - it's up to you.

I also have an idea and I feel like I can trust you because I feel like we think very similarly. I haven't started yet, but I was thinking Star Wars: TK421 Adventures. I can't divulge into the fine details but I think you get my drift. ;)

Just remember what Han Solo said when everything was said and done:

HAN: Great shot, kid. That was one in a million.

Good luck with your dreams! :)

Just out of deep interest and curiosity – how much would you be willing to pay if I joined your team? Do you cover health benefits? Do I have to sign a non-disclosure agreement?

By the way, I can program with JavaScript, Forceboat-ee, C, C++, C#, , Visual Basic, and FORTRAN.

Cheers.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    MasterSanders, I work in the game industry. I'm not going to go full force into this thread because I think a few facts here will pummel your dreams enough.

- You legally cannot make and sell and distribute a star wars game
    - Unless you're a millionaire, you cannot afford to staff a project of this scale
    - Why would you spend millions of dollars on a game that you legally can't distribute
    - If you really want to make video games, get a life skill and try to get hired at a game company. I can tell you there are so many countless people with game ideas who think they have the best new ideas. The people who make games and do it for a living have the best ideas because they've already gone through so many trial and errors. The game industry isn't easy at all. It's an extremely diverse field with a million different types of talents necessary just to make one product.

Also if you can't accept that your idea is one in a million you probably shouldn't join any artistic field as a career. You'll be crying within a week. Also don't listen to this shoot for the moon crap. You want something? Do the work. You think ideas will get you somewhere? No. They don't. We all have brains. Go get a practical gaming skill and work your butt off like the rest of us.

edit: After reading some of the other attempts at positive advice in this thread...if you join another part of the game company as something like voice acting or whatever, your idea still won't be heard. You want your ideas heard, join the art dept.

9. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    I appreciate your advice and I will put in the work and I will not spend any money making this.... I will do it by cashing in a lot of favors and with help from others.... I understand that it is hard and I know that it might be feeble but like I said you don't know me and you don't know my talents so you really have no right to tell me that I can't do it because you don't know me... I understand that you have experience and honestly I wish that you would help me and that you would at least hear what I have to say before shooting me down like everyone else, but if this is your final word I don't accept it because no one will ever tell me what to do because I'm a grown ass man and I do what I want... Besides that I appreciate your advice and I honestly hope that you would at least hear my ideas and give me feedback on what to do... I don't want to hear don't do it again, because I'm doing it and no one will convince me otherwise...

I am an extremely talented writer, singer, songwriter, and visionary and I know that I can make it in this field maybe not even getting this project done, but if it still gets my foot in the door then that will be reward enough... I want to make Star Wars games I have played them since the 80s and I will continue playing them and I want to be able to make them... I live in Texas so it is very possible for me to get my foot in at Bioware-Austin and I'm going to do my best... I would also like to add that if you still continue to nay say I will not reply...

I am putting myself out asking for help and I would appreciate if you have any criticisms that you would provide positive feedback and how I CAN do what I am doing... If you tell me I can't I will not accept it...

10. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

Point Given and Life like this.
  12. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
  13. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    The world doesn't run on favours.

This kind of attitude won't get you anywhere.

Texas has a population of 26 million. Not only that, but geography isn't important.

Let me give you a direct example. There's a Star Wars mod called Republic at War. Have you seen it? http://www.moddb.com/mods/republic-at-war

It's a mod for Star Wars: Empire at War. Over the eight years it took to develop, more than 25 people saw work on it, though not all at the same time. Some moved on, others came. It got to the point where two separate mods and their teams had to pool their resources and their modders just to get it done. 8 years of very hard work, with no pay. And that was a mod. They didn't have to create the game engine.

What you propose is massive in scale, and BioWare are not going to help you out based on favours. EA aren't going to allow them to take in your idea based on passion alone.

But all is not dire. Every game developer, every studio, every success story... they all started with nothing. Aim for something tangible, something you could do in the next year. I ask you, what do you think you could get done in a year?

14. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    I have closed the thread because I'm tired of hearing people telling me what I can't do when you do not know me... I appreciate the support to those who gave it and I'm sorry but don't presume to lecture me and tell me what to do... I understand your points and criticism and honestly I don't presume to know everything about the gaming industry, but I know that I can formulate an amazing presentation and concept document to present to bioware with all the necessary details that they would need to begin developing the game... I'm pitching to a developer not pitching a finished game there is a huge difference... If anyone who is interested in helping me make this game concept and presentation with all graphics renderings, musical score, voiceover work, and storylines finished and ready to pitch...

I am also working on another project writing a book set after the Fate of the Jedi... If one doesn't hit then the other will... If anyone is seriously interested in helping me do the project then please send me a message... If you just intend to tell me what is possible and what you think I cannot do I will just delete it... Thank you for your posts and I understand where all of you are coming from and that some of you do have experience, however I will continue my research and will do my best to go to Bioware with the best formulated plan and presentation that I can possibly do...

15. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    You have?

[​IMG]

heels1785 , Life and Sith-Lord-Gunray like this.
  16. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    MasterSanders, I cannot post your highly unprofessional and amusing PM you sentme due to TOS rules, but I will respond here.

First of all, my previous post reply in this thread was for the lulz; particularly if you are a g4m35 ph0rum old-timer – you will see it.
    Second of all, you have a terrible terrible terrible attitude. Yikes! Go back and read your replies.
    Third of all, you are extremely lucky that these fine folks in this thread have offered you great spot-on advice. You even got advice from Sith-Lord-Gunray who is in the industry. I would genuinely advise that you follow all the advice in this thread (minus mine). Otherwise, you are going to end up like that Bulletball guy in Master_Jacen's video. lol

gg

17. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    All I have ever heard my entire life is people telling me what I can't do... I will not accept that... I am sorry if I offended you or disrespected you in any way, but I made this thread in order to find help not find criticism... Honestly all that you have said is just made me not want to even try which is why I wanted to close the thread, but of course I'm new and I don't know how so there we go again one more awesome thing... I understand everything that yall have said and I get how hard it is and everything, you act like I don't understand and are trying to lecture me... I get that people here have experience but that doesn't give anyone the right to crush other people's dreams and aspirations....

I came here specifically to find help and all I found was negativity... I plan on taking all of your advice seriously and take all of it into account, but I will proceed as planned and try my best and do whatever I can to make it... Whether it be in gaming or in writing Star Wars books it really doesn't matter... I'm just trying to do what I love because everything else in my life that I have strived for seems to turn to crap... So thanks again everyone for as sith lord gunray put it "pummel your dreams enough" you most certainly have done that... I will continue to be a part of the community, but as soon as I can figure out how to close the thread it will be done...

Furthermore, I truly could have been a million times meaner and retaliatory to some of the replies and I hope that you at least recognize that... I tried to be firm yet personable in trying to say I understand what you're saying but I'm still gonna do what I said I'm gonna do... My attitude has and will always be that no one will tell me what I can't achieve and what I can't do.... Do or do not there is no try.... I will do what I must regardless of what your opinion is and regardless of what you think I can or can't do... I am a nice guy who was just looking for some help that is all... I will take everything yall have said seriously and I hope that one day I can post on here about what I accomplished, who knows life sucks and probably nothing will happen but it will not be because I didn't try....

18. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.