main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you..."

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BrockStrap, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrockStrap

BrockStrap Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    When Luke opens the door to Leia's cell aboard the Death Star, he states his name. Why do you think Leia was unable to recognize his last name? Do you think her adopted parents never told her that her real father was a man named Anakin Skywalker?

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Probably not.

3. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Of course they never told her! The whole point of him taking her was so that she would never find out that her father was a Jedi Knight!

Did you watch Revenge of the Sith?

4. Sithlord_kev

Sithlord_kev Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2005
    they would never tell her.

5. BrockStrap

May 21, 2005
    Yes, BUT...Owen and Beru could have changed Luke's last name and not told him his lineage if they wanted to...instead, they told him who his father was, yet didn't say he was a Jedi. The Organas could have told Leia who her father was without saying he was a Jedi.

6. Sithlord_kev

Sithlord_kev Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2005
    never, ever

7. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Grand-Moff-Tarkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2004
    They could have made something up like Owen and Beru did for Luke. Luke was told his real father's name and the Jedi Knight connection was never made. So, you can't say they of course never told her.

8. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Well she DIDN'T recognise the same, so obviously they NEVER told her

9. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Luke was so far away from everything that the odds of him finding out were low. Leia, however, was in the middle of everything so she was bound to hear about Anakin Skywalker, hero of the Republic.

And, who said that Luke ever heard his father's first name? They could have made something up and Luke could have found out later on.

10. BrockStrap

May 21, 2005
    exactly...in ROTJ, Leia acknowledges that she was adopted...so her adopted parents must have told her something about her true parents.

11. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002

BINGO!

12. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Jul 26, 2004
    We don't know that for sure either. As has been mentioned here many times before, Skywalker could be as common a name as Smith or Jones.

I agree that the chances of Luke hearing of tales of Anakin Skywalker are pretty low. I also agree that Leia had to have heard things about Anakin. For all we know Bail told her that he was killed when all the other Jedi were, assuming he ever told her anything. As far as Luke ever being told his father's real name from Owen or Beru, you have me there. I just made an unsubstantiated guess that he'd been told the name.

These are things that we may never know for sure. ;)

13. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Jul 26, 2004
  14. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    maybe she didn't regard it as being to much of a deal. It's galaxy after all with trillions of beings it could of just been a coincidence in her mind. Also remember that Padme was buried supposeply with her children, so if any word got out of her a affiar as far as anyone knew his children where dead.

15. Aeneas_Falco

Aeneas_Falco Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2005
    Leia doesn't recognize the name because when Lucas made ANH he didn't intend for Leia to be a Skywalker. Originally Luke's sister was going to be a completely seperate character from Leia. Lucas didn't decide to make Leia Luke's twin until sometime between ESB and RotJ.

It isn't necessarily a plot hole however. The name Skywalker may have been common, or Leia's adopted parents might not have told her too much about her real parents.

16. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Bail Organa would have had to be a complete idiot to have told her. And, he was not an idiot so he didnt tell her!

Bac has spoken...

17. millenium_dove

millenium_dove Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    You know, it doesn't bother me really that Leia didn't recognize her own last name. What REALLY gets me is that Luke has to use his last name. Is he just BEGGING for recognition?!?

18. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    How could he be bragging? He didn't know that there was anything to brag about!

19. millenium_dove

millenium_dove Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    That's not what I meant. I meant that he would someday want Leia to tell people "Oh yeah, Luke Skywalker was the guy who rescued me" and get the recognition that way.

20. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    i thniks it is more polite to tell so. the whole name. isn't it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.