main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atlantic I'm never stopping on the side of a New Brunswick road at night ever AGAIN!!!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Sar-Tamber-lac, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Yeah, so tonight was a completely freaky, traumatizing, can't-get-it-off-my-mind experience. Travis (Darth Taitor) and I were coming back from Presque Isle, Maine. It's, like, 11:30pm and we're just outside of Fredericton. Well, my tailgate comes ajar. The latch has a habit of slipping, and it'll rattle til I pull over and go back there and shut it. Well, I pulled over at the bottom of this small bridge to shut it. Travis decides he has to go to the bathroom. So I shut the tailgate while he scrambles down the embankment to relieve himself. About 30 seconds after he heads down, I hear this big splash in the river. I had a very strong feeling that I should look down to see what it was, but Travis is using the bathroom, so there's no way I'm gonna. Not even 15 seconds after this, I see Travis jump clean over the guardrail, screaming, "Get in the car! Get in the car!" So we jump into the car and speed off...

Apparantly the splash wasn't just nothing, like I thought, or a beaver, like Travis thought when he went down there. He had looked out over the water, and saw something floating. Not thinking much of it, he gets ready to try to go to the bathroom. However, he happens to glance behind him. Something was crouched behind him, slinking up and getting ready to pounce. He scrambled up the embankment, and then yelled at me to get in the car.

The best we can figure, from what Travis saw and I heard, was that it was either a mountain lion or a cougar. Both, according to the RCMP, are a likely prospect.

I am still traumatized over this. Travis as well, for obvious reasons. All I can think is, if that thing had attacked, there would have been nothing I could of done but watch this thing maul Travis. I don't know if any of you had ever had that sort of feeling of hopelessness or helplessness, but it was the worst thing I had felt in a very long time. This will be cause for nightmares tonight.

So that was my night. Thought y'all might be interested in a little story. I just hope it's one that will be funny a little bit down the road... [face_plain]

2. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
    :eek: that's bad. :( least ya seem to be okay. :)

3. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Yes, at least you're all right. Well, except your wits, as in 'frightened out of' :p

4. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    Jesus, glad your alright both of you

Closest we get to things like that over here is when a badger threatened me in the dark

5. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Did you poke the badger with a spoon? :p

6. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Yeah...it was right freaky...I guess it'll be something that's in the back of my mind for a long while, especially every time I see Travis. I couldn't imagine losing him...

Rambles, were you "badgering" the badger? ;)

And if Rambles attacked a badger with anything, it would be with mushed peas [face_mischief]

7. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    [face_shocked] That's freaky! I'm glad you're not hurt though.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

8. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2003
    lol, im sure that gave travis some help peeing... LOL

9. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    i had a freaky roadside stop once. the car broke down on the way to halifax, but no cougar attacked me.

10. Star5248z

Star5248z Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2002
    oh no!!! I'm glad you guys are ok! :)

11. Bucket

Bucket Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2002
    :eek:

is my Travis alright? does he want me to come there to be with him?

(everyone but Tammy, ignore me. I miss my Travis)

12. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Once, on my way to Ontario (we go through the US) I stopped in New Brunswick. It was around 1:00 am, and my Dad my brother and me were getting tired o looked for a side ro to pull on to ust to sleep. Well we found a road, and we drove down it for a while, it was creepy, it was foogy out and the lights from the highway were aking creepy "Alien" light effects through the fog. Worst of all, at the end of the road there was a standard road sign, which simply said "51" on it. It was creepy, stopping in New Brunswick.

13. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I am glad to hear that you are ok Tammy...

14. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    My creepy NB highway story is the time we were driving at night and we accidently took a wrong turn and tried to drive off on the on ramp. I don't like transport trucks!

15. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
  16. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    Jeez...I didn't know we had mountain lions or cougars in this province.

Glad you're ok Tammy.

17. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    We don't have many.

18. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Well, y'all don't have many, but from what the RCMP officer was saying, there have been a few sightings, but the environmentalists just don't want to admit it for some reason. However, like it or not, they are making a move down this way...

19. Bucket

Bucket Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2002
    come to Alberta, where we get them there cougars roaming around the city in new suburban areas...big write up in the paper a few weeks back about one that had gotten out of Fish Creek Park and was wandering around near an elementary school.

oops. didn't mean to say elementary Tammy. it's just that they like the fresh young children and their teachers is all. :p

20. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Bring 'em on. I'd rather them get me than one of my students. [face_plain]

21. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
    didn't mean to say elementary Tammy. it's just that they like the fresh young children and their teachers is all.

[face_laugh]

22. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    We sometimes get bears near the schools, but they're pretty quick to get them moved if they're spotted, not to mention ordering the kids to stay inside.

23. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
    THere was a moose that wandered into my town once and went to the tim hortons. tres drole.

24. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    [face_laugh]

25. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    My Aunt saw Bears (black bears) in her Backyard, they were seen all over town (Pembroke, Onatario)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.