main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi I'm new here!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Slee The Sloth, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Slee The Sloth

Slee The Sloth Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 9, 2013
    I was Born on 9-1-1968. I'm a computer tech and run my own computer shop here in Dunkirk NY. I have many interest: Star Wars, Model Trains, Computers, 4x4 trucks and all things electronic.

It was 1977 when I finally got to see Star Wars. I had begged my mother for weeks to take me to see Star Wars and finally she gave in. She was not sure that it was a suitable movie for a young 9 year old, boy to see. By the time I got to see it my cousin Dan had seen it and had for the most part recited it to me in great detail. Not only did the movie Star Wars change me forever but it changed how movies where made from that point on. Not just with special effects, but many other areas of film making had been affect by it as well. Like credits, before Star Wars it was custom to show the credits at the beginning of the movie. But for that little boy of 9 years, When I left the movie that day, I was never going to be the same. For most of my younger years I had two loves, Star Wars and trains. I guess some things never change or I just never grew up. Hhmmm……..

I don’t know how many times my cousin Dan and I had dreamed of having our own R2D2. From time to time we got some Star Wars models ranging from R2D2 to X wings and so on. I can remember a magazine that Dan had. It showed a toy Death Star that a kids father had built for him. Dan and I both grew up without fathers, and it seemed like building things like that would never happen to us. But this never stopped our dreams. Dan and I have not had much contact over the years, but I’m sure if you ask him about R2D2 or Star Wars his eyes will light up, with a quick throw back to the past.

Its now 2012, I worked in a plastic factory full time as well as in my part time computer shop. I have been building model railroads for years as a hobby. Not that I have time for a new hobby. But old dreams die hard. So I began to chase a dream of building and owning my own R2D2. In the summer of 2013 my R2 came out into the public for the first time. Its an amazing journey that an old dream has brought a bought. Best of all its just starting! Even though my R2 appears to be finished, I keep finding new things to install, add or do better. I'm just a boy at heart, a boy who grew up, but kept a dream alive!

Here is a link to my page: [edit]

here is my droid:

Sarge and Admiral Volshe like this.
  2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Hello Slee The Sloth !
    Welcome to the Jedi Council Forums!

Let me just say that that is utterly amazing! Fantastic work. I honestly have no words to describe how great that is! =D=

You should probably check out the Fan Activities board, I'm not sure if your work would go better in Props or Collecting, but since you mentioned collecting I think it'd be a great place to start! We also have a community based around the movies, so you can check that out as well.

Are you interested in any of the other aspects of the SWUniverse? Books, games, etc?

If you have any questions, feel free to post in here and we'll try to help you out.

Good luck and have a blast!

3. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Welcome to the Forum, Slee The Sloth!

I have to echo Admiral Volshe - utterly brilliant, and such a talent! I think you're going to fit right in here, and I hope you enjoy your time with us - I am sure we will see more of you and your love for 'Star Wars'.

See you around the boards! :D

[​IMG]

4. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome Slee the Sloth! :)

You're R2 unit looks very good and it's really great that you never gave up your child dream. It took some time, but in the end... fantastic work! :D

I've just edited out the link to your website, because we don't allow self-promoting/advertising. Usually I would have deleted the youtube video, but in this case I think it's fair to keep it.

You also should follow the link posted by Volshe above. Especially costume&props might be interesting for you - since you have build your own R2 unit. But you shouldn't forget your local FanForce - maybe they are into costuming as well. Then you'll have tons of fun. :D

Enjoy your stay! :)

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Failte Nua Duine, Slee The Sloth
    Brilliant work there. Reinforcing the encouragement above, get involved, have a great time, and should you require any assistance, @.tag one of us in here. This thread is your personal tech support.

6. TheCIS

TheCIS Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 21, 2013
    Slee The Sloth that is some amazing work right there! If only I had such levels of commitment...

Have you heard of the Star Wars Community Senate Slee The Sloth? We could use such interesting persons as yourself there! (not that it's boring! it isn't! hehehe)
    All you need to do is to pick a planet in the Star Wars Universe and declare yourself its senator.

Once again, great work on the R2! (you can also check the link in my signature to get to the SWC senate)