main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

" I'm not particually fond of ANY bodily fluid." The works of Jhonen Vasquez

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Soontir-Fel, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Gothic cartoons. Children with problems. Robots with pigs. Oh the insanity.
    Jhonen Vasquez works include Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, and the Invader Zim cartoon. I was a fan of the cartoon so I picked up the comic.
    Unbelivable violence. Nearly every panal is soaked in blood. Yet the mass murderer Johnny seems almost innocent in his killing. He has no idea why he does it, but he needs to. And works on his comic, " The Happy Noodle Boy."
    Anyone else see his works?

2. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Been quite the fan of Vasquez's comics work for a number of years, now -- you forgot to list his work on Squee and I Feel Sick (from Slave Labor Graphics, around four years back) in that list, which is among his very best "underground" material. Compared to, for instance, Roman Dirge, Vasquez's style is "jagged" and "sketchy," with scads of detail and weird lines and scribbly bits, while Dirge's work (Lenore, being one) is very clean-looking and looks a little more like it was computer-generated (or drawn and scanned and cleaned up).

However, in the context of Jhonen's storytelling work, his style works amazingly well in terms of conveying the intended humor and pathos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.