main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm not watching anymore trailers/previews

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Aren't you guys tired of having most of the great moments in each week's TCW episode spoiled by watching the previews?

It used to be just the IGN or whatever clips i wouldn't watch, but there's more and more clips out there and even the OS is starting to show more.

It's not like waiting years between the films when watching the trailers was actually more exciting than the films themselves. With us getting a new episode each week, I find I'm enjoying the episodes more when I go in unspoiled.

2. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    This has been a problem with Star Wars since 2004. After the rather critical response to Phantom Menace and Clones, remember all the information we got about Revenge of the Sith before it was even out? Hell, we had the entire script on the internet before anyone even saw the movie.

Lucasfilm became afraid of people not liking their products, and so, to entice people, they decided to reveal everything to placate audiences beforehand. This business practice has been used extensively in TCW for the same reasons. Spoil the audience with all your major reveals and action to mask the amount of filler squished in between the sequences.

How much of the ROTS trailer focused on the war, and not the awful Annie/Padme scenes? They had Darth Vader in the trailer for goodness sakes.

The same goes for Clone Wars. The Season 3 trailer is the biggest offender by far, giving away a ton about the action heavy episodes without scratching the headache inducing political rut.

Lucasfilm I feel knows that they have made a lot of boring stuff, so they are afraid of losing customers. To prevent this they mock up a trailer to show "hey! We really care!" simultaneously glossing over the crap and winning over our easily persuaded fandom.

3. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I understand they want to entice the "average" fan but quite frankly I expect it's likely kids and hardcore SW fans watching TCW at this point.

4. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Totally agreed Garth. I avoid all the trailers and find that many of the complaints about new episodes when they come out are largely founded on what one was expecting based on the trailer. I had no freaking clue how "Monster" was gonna end, and I LOVED the ending. People who already knew it was gonna end that way from the trailer had a million complaints about the ending. Keep it fresh so you have no idea what they're going to show you and you will enjoy the show more, that's what I say.

5. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Meh. For what it's worth, I think it's a smart move on your part, Garth. [face_laugh]

After season 1, I've mostly avoided previews with the occasional exception (Season 2 double header and the Delta Squad clip this season) though I still watch trailers when they come out. It's worked out pretty well so far.

6. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    This thread title kinda sounds like a New Years resolution. Spoiler-free for Season 3?[face_thinking]

I've enjoyed episodes even knowing some things beforehand, but yeah, I probably would've found them more exciting if I was unspoiled.

7. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    you will watch the trailers/previews, Garth......it is inevitable.:p

8. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    ...it is your desssssstiny.

9. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Haha I'm glad I didn't post my lame joke along the same lines because that's waaay better. [face_laugh]

PS I also make it a habit to avoid episode-specific threads until I've seen that episode! Completely!

10. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    I'm trying to stick to the no-preview and trailer-thing, too. It might really work better, and I've to admit that I like being surprised by an episode about which I don't know very much.

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't watch previews of Witches- but next arc is such wild i had to watch previews- if it's totally dumb it's better to be spoiled- if it's great then it's that great spoilers won't matter- but i agree- their ridiculous previews are too much- they spoil more than 25 percent of the episode's scenes and 90 percent of the plot- and that ten percent is mainly just plotholes [face_tired]

12. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    Swash,

the 'Witches' preview didn't spoil anything for those who actually read all the spoilers, and it is essentially only a more detailed version of a scene from the Savage-Dooku-trailer ;-). The last preview I watched was this preview of sorts for the Mortis arc, but I really don't want to know besides the information from the trailer and the episode guys. These 86 minutes might be really strange and surprising, I really don't need the details yet...

13. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    I thought that kids were the average fans for STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS; this whole Cartoon Network
    thing keeps throwing me off.

Still, if the trailers (which are designed for children) spoil the show for you, than skipping them is a good idea.

IMO

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    perhaps- but i don't want to see any scenes beforehand anymore- 22 minutes is such a short time anyway- Still i'm so interested in this Mortis stuff now- so i cannot avoid spoilers :D

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm with Garth on this one. Usually the only 'preview' I catch is the one at the end of the current episode. As we are a couple of episodes behind the US, I even avoid the threads with spoilers here.

16. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I mean, I was posting in 2NS and was a manager of 3NS, so it's familiar territory for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.