main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm scared......

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Captain_Typho, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I like TOD for how it is different from ROTLA. The latter is still my favorite of the series, but TOD did things differently and that made the series more than just a simple series of sequels.

2. mojodaddy

mojodaddy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2002
    Raiders set a high bar, and I think Last Crusade did an acceptable job of trying to reach that level. I agree that in many ways it was a remake of Raiders, but it did try to be broader and deeper.
    Temple of Doom stands completely apart, which has bothered me for almost two decades. Little kids sidekicks are lame, cheap excuses to inject humor into a scene. Willie Scott's shallowness and misplaced values grate my nerves. The action scenes go too far and jar me out of the moment.
    Nonetheless, I watched it two nights ago. What I decided was that the film makers had a set of brass ones when they made this movie. It's the only movie where Indiana ever mentions "fortune and glory," something starkly uncharacteristic. I also decided that Shortround is a pretty cool little kid. The actor is surprisingly good, and his relationship with Indiana is very interesting. I couldn't change my mind about Willie. I did change my mind about Capshaw. Female love interests in action movies can be so one dimensional. Willie seems real to me. I really do hate her and can't see why Indiana would hook up with her, but I have to credit this to the quality of Capshaw's performance. She does a nice job. I still can't buy into the unbelievable action scenes. What I can do is recognize that it is a fun movie to watch.
    So, I say that all three previous films are successful in their own way, so it is a safe conclusion that the fourth will be also.

3. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    Remember though, that TOD is technically a "prequel", so in terms of timeline, this is the first time we're introduced to Indy. The film is much more interesting if you put ROTLA out of your mind and watch TOD first. You get a sense of strong character development from Indy developing from a globe-trotting-treasure-hunter-for-hire to an idealistic hero ultimately doing what's morally right.

Just my $0.02. :)

4. mojodaddy

Aug 5, 2002
    Remember though, that TOD is technically a "prequel", so in terms of timeline, this is the first time we're introduced to Indy. The film is much more interesting if you put ROTLA out of your mind and watch TOD first. You get a sense of strong character development from Indy developing from a globe-trotting-treasure-hunter-for-hire to an idealistic hero ultimately doing what's morally right.

[/quote]

I think I like that interpretation.

5. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I think I like that interpretation.[/quote]

I agree but there are problems if you watch them in chronological order too. Like the joke when Indy reaches for his gun to shoot the two swordsmen and the gun is missing. No one will get that joke if they haven't see ROTLA.

6. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Agreed, i'm a bit tired of that perception aswell :oops: :rolleyes:

7. PeteTB

PeteTB Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002
    I don't blame all the bad choices on Lucas. I never said that. I said that since the prequels everyone involved in this film has learned from some of the bad choices, thinking that many of the same people that worked on the PT may have some say in Indy 4.

I'll ask to just let it rest since words have been interpreted wrong. The amount of reviews of RT.com show that this film is strong enough to stand with the original 3 films.

8. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    You must unlearn what you have learned. ;)

This works also, if you look at it from a certain point of view. In TOD he goes to shoot the two swordsmen, and his gun is missing. Pay attention to the look on his face. He expects his gun to be there, but when it isn't it's a classic :oops: moment, which in and of itself, works as a joke.

Fast forward to ROTLA when Indy goes for his gun against the swordsman. You're expecting the gun not to be there, (based on the incident in TOD), making the moment that much more tense, but when he does pull the gun out and shoots the swordsman, it makes the scene that much more exciting.

Again, just my $0.02. :)

9. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    "I work for the people who pay to get in. They are my customers, and my focus is on providing the best experience I can for those people." (Harrison Ford on Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)

10. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I didnt mean that aimed at u though, i've seen that in other boards, and it's kinda annoying :oops:

11. PeteTB

PeteTB Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002
    ^^^^^ no worries. I figure we can get this thread back on track or just let it go since we're gonna all be watching the movie in less than 50 hours.

12. mojodaddy

Aug 5, 2002
    IT'S SO CLOSE! This is going to be a long couple of days. I know it is nothing compared to the 19 years that have passed, but it was possible to escape speculation about a new Indiana Jones movie for months, and sometimes a couple of years, at a time. Knowing it is almost here changes everything.
    Do not fear, folks, just enjoy your new movie. After all, it was made just for you.

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Let Go and Let Lucas. :)

14. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    It's George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford and John Williams! :cool: Each individually and collectively is the best at what they do. An obviously incredible colaboration of incredible talent. I absolutely enjoy what they have done with the INDIANA JONES movies. They're absolutely amazing.

I have my ticket for the midnight opening showing of INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL and today, I bought me a copy of the soundtrack of the movie and what I have already listened to of it is absolutely great and fitting.

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL is getting closer! [face_dancing]

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm surprisingly neutral on how I think the film will be... I've managed not to be spoiled too much, though there's some inevitable rumour stuff that I've heard and whatnot. Haven't read reviews, though, don't ever. I am in a surreal state at the moment. This is the first Indy movie I've ever seen in theatres. And I'm just happy for that. But it hasn't sunk it quite yet that it's real and that I'm seeing it TOMORROW NIGHT!

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    Fasten your seat belt. It's going to be a bumpy ride! :cool:

17. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    I'm with solojones, pretty neutral on what to expect. I was too young for the Indy films in the theaters too, but Raiders came out when I was born and my mom had it listed as Best Film of the Year in my baby book. It hasn't even fully sunk in yet that we're going to be seeing the movie in less than twenty four hours and my husband and I have midnight showing tickets in hand. Yet I've stayed far away from spoilers so as to not have any misconceptions about the film. If all it does is entertain me for two hours then my ticket price will be worth it.

18. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    Tonight is the night! :)

19. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    It seems that the general consensus is that this movie is a worthy addition to the sequels, which is all we had any right to expect. Im releived.

Three things that worry me: 1. They will use the nostalgia from the first three films too much as a crutch. 2. Cate Blanchet's villain doesnt appeal to me at all. 3. One of the AICN reviewers said that he didnt remember much of a main musical theme that is unique to KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL. Not sure what John Williams was thinking here.

20. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    Yea, I'm a bit scared, but I'm too excited not to be hyped. Only 16 hours to go. Cannot wait.

21. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I have the soundtrack and have listened to some of it, but not all of it, yet. What I have listened to does reprise already used INDIANA JONES music, but it also has original INDIANA JONES music that really, really sounds great and fitting. :cool:

Knowing John Williams knows what he's doing and not knowing if this AICN reviewer is the best at picking out and picking up on new INDIANA JONES music, I'm not going to be quick to question John Williams on this based on an AICN reviewer. ;)

In less than eleven hours I will be seeing the new INDIANA JONES movie! [face_dancing]

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL is getting closer! :cool:

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I can't wait to see the best movie released in the last 2 1/2 years.

The only good reason to see a movie in the theater since Revenge of the Sith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.