main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I'm screwed: The Tunick life at Wally World

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jul 26, 2011.

1. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    You are underemployed at walmart. Go to night school or something. There's no reason to be miserable.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm not entirely sure if night school (or a regular college) is the answer for me. I really, really have issues/problems with the college system, and this point, the mental block I've got concerning that would lead me to utter failure in a university setting. I have considering going to a broadcasting school, though.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I haven't been in here in a bit. Hilarious. Managing a retail team is pretty low on my list of things to try.

4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    The sad thing is I can tell which managers are really into their jobs/are big company men or woman. Makes me pity them.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    You pity them because they like their jobs and wish their employees were happy at work?

6. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    There is a chain of command Armen, you may not see it often, but the people that you work under, have to work under others too. People you probably hardly, if ever, see in the actual location you work at.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I don't get what's there to like about working retail. Not every single day is gut wrenching horrible, but it's still a stale existence. There almost isn't a moment during my work day in which my mind isn't thinking about something else. You're right for the most part, Juli, though my store gets a lot of visits from those management types, as my Wally World is the focus store for the entire San Fernando Valley (out of 3 total stores).

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The previous CEO of McDonalds started there as a burger flipper. The previous CEO of the Woolworths Group was a trolley collector. Plenty of people like retail. I spent 7 years working the floor and had a good time.

It's not healthy to despise something you spend a significant portion of your waking hours doing.

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [image=http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5878/happyii.jpg]

But look, I'm smiling there/seem happy at work. :p Obviously many people like retail work, doesn't mean that I still don't find that to be odd. I realize that going into work each day with the attitude "Damn, another day of this ****. UGH." isn't the prescription to a healthy mental day, but I'm one bitter 7+ year worker. I didn't start out this way at work..........it's been building over time. Also, the level of BS/nonsense from management is getting out of hand. Take yesterday, for example. Our Instock crew is shorthanded now because 1 member is out for a month to take care of his mom (she's having surgery). So, on Sunday's, instead of 4 people, it's 3. Management knew this. Despite that, they decided to create a bunch of extra sales floor counts on a crap load of merchandise, which creates more backroom counts for our team. All of that also creates department picks for a lot of merchandise, and that main responsibility (I do get help from time to time) falls with me. It was quite out of hand (80+ items to pick out for one department, for example, popping up in the system 40 or so minutes before the end of my shift. This happening with already a full screen on my scanner of other merchandise to pick out.). They want a scorecard of 100% or damn close to it when it comes to our picks & counts, but that suffered yesterday because of all the extra counts they created. But, who will get **** talked to today? Our team, most likely. There's also little things that keep not happening (such as department managers supposed to be helping us when the create manual merchandise picks for their departments. 85% of the time, this doesn't happen) that drain on the already low morale. We're basically setup for failure a lot of the time, and that stinks.

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Was reminded today that the 2nd supervisor of our Instock team is utterly incompetent in her job (her complaining to me at the end of the shift that a lot of merchandise picks weren't done, when she should realize that the amount that was there, it would have been impossible to finish them). As ridiculous as these moments are, it's good when they happen. A reminder of the utter insanity/hell that is retail.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    So, I called out from work yesterday because of the Super Bowl. Because I had been warned before about calling out too often (a whopping 5 times in 6 months), I was expecting a "D-Day", which is the highest level of punishment one can get here without getting fired. Never had one before, so I assumed it would have been a serious thing. Well, when I got my D-Day about 2 hours ago, I found out that I get tomorrow off, PAID, and I comeback on Wednesday with a note explaining how I'll follow the rules. [face_laughter]

12. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    well played, my friend.

13. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Heh. It is great they give you a elementary school level punishment. I vote you play video games then copy and paste something on wikipedia. :D

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    There's a lot of Tetris I can play while at home...............a lot. :p

:p

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    There should have been this :D at the bottom of that post there instead of another :p .

16. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I am so jealous! I want to get paid to play Tetris all day. :D

17. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm really horrible at Tetris. I'd rather play Puzzle Bubble.:p

But yay for being paid to not work!

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It was great today.................sleeping in, getting paid for it, and of course the TETRIS. I've got a version of it on my BlackBerry.................can't get past stage 11. :p

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I was told earlier today that our Instock team is going to have a meeting with the store manager at about 6:30 tomorrow morning..............never too early for a "pep talk". I also very much enjoy the new merchandise bin space out here in the Garden department..........makes posting via my BlackBerry all that much easier.

20. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Post a picture of the chick who is/was into you.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  22. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
  23. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I double dog dare you.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I found out earlier this morning that one of my favorite co-workers, a middle aged Russian man known as "Crazy" Tony was let go from our Instock team today. [face_plain] Now, he still (for the time being) works here, but since he won't be in the crew, it just won't be the same. *smh*

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I wish I had a cool job worthy of envy.