main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

" I'm so sorry. " - A slam, or sincere?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Holocron_Collector, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holocron_Collector

Holocron_Collector Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2001
    " Anakin is the father, isn't he? .... I'm so sorry. "

When I first saw ROTS, I was totally surprised by this line, for this scene was one of the few that was unspoiled for me, (and for that, truly great.) When he said this, I totally reacted like it was a slam, an insult to Padme. In fact I actually went " ouch! " out loud in the theater.
    It just seemed like Obi-Wan was getting back at her for not telling him where Anakin was, like he was saying, " Well, sorry you can't accept that you're married to a child killing, power hungry sith apprentice. " Know what I mean?

Then, after further viewings, I started to realize that he was most likely being sincere, and he was really sorry that he had to kill her husband and the father of her baby.

So which is it, slam or sincere? And why did I react that way the first time I heard it? Did anyone else?

2. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    Hc, I took it as sincere from the first.

3. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    I don't know why you thought it was an insult to Padme on first viewing.
    I definitely saw it as a sad reply. That he was sorry he has to deal with what Anakin became and that he was sorry for her.

4. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    When I read the book I thought it was a slam But, watching the movie (few times :D ) I relized he was really being sincere.

Obi-Wan didn't like the postion he was put in. He also didn't like the fact that other's were going to be hurt by what he was going to do to Anakin.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Definately sincere. :)

6. Holocron_Collector

Holocron_Collector Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2001
    Maybe my reaction came partly from Padme's expression after he says it. Doesn't she look a little pissed? Like Obi-Wan just told her she had a big butt? :p

7. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah, she did look sort of angry. Maybe Obi-Wan DID insult her by saying that.

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Padmé's world is crashing down around her... I think her expression has more to do with that.

9. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    However Padme may or may not have felt about it I think it's
    obvious Obi-Wan meant it in a sincere way and with sadness.

10. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I've always thought it was sincere from my first viewing, I must admit I was surprised when I saw some people interpret the line differently because the meaning behind the line seemed so clear.

By the way its also one of the best lines in the film :)

11. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    In my mind, it's slam. This is the one time where Obi-Wan is finally getting it. He was in denial for most of the movie, now he is fed up. Especially since Padme didn't tell him where Anakin is.

12. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Obi-Wan has never had anything but respect and compassion for Padme. If he wanted to slam someone he would do so to Anakin,
    not her and certainly not deliberately. If you want to twist it
    and see satan in the smoke then so be it, but I think the intended
    delivery of the line is obvious.

13. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    For me, its one of the most sincere and emotionally driven lines in the entire saga.

Obi Wan knows what Anakin has become so he knows how tough things will be for Padme.

Obi Wan knows how much Padme loves Anakin and that Anakin must now be killed.

Obi Wan knows that Anakin cant be a father to the child and will leave Padme on her own.

Obi Wan knows the dark deeds Anakin has committed which will tear Padme apart.

Obi Wan has failed anakin and is apologising for not taking proper care of him.

Obi Wan is about to go and kill her husband, never mind what he has become, I think thats a tough thing to put across.

OBI WAN KNOWS THAT PADME IS GOING TO LOSE HER HUSBAND.

Perhaps a less sympathetic Jedi would look to insult her. but Kenobi is much like Qui Gon. He is more compassionate than most. He is very much in tune with what is going on around him. And he is very fond of Padme too.

14. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    It's a total slam. He should have insulted her even more by saying...

OBI-WAN: [face_mischief] "You should keep Anakin away from the baby. He'll probably want to kill it too. He likes killing children. Well, good luck with that, but in my experience there's no such thing as luck. Bye."

PADME: :_|

15. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    I actually thought the same thing on my first viewing.Maybe it was the way he said it,just seemed kind of...cold maybe.But it probably was sincere after all.I mean what possible reason could Obi-Wan really have to wish bad things for Padme,Anakin and their unborn child...
    But on my first two times seeing it I kind of thought he was being sarcastic or something when he said it.Like a "I'm not really sorry,just saying,it's your own fault anyway!" kind of thing.But then I realised that Obi-Wan is REALLY not that kind of person!

16. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Im surprised people see it this way. This is one of the most moving lines IMO.

The line in this scene that I dont like is when Kenobi says he saw a hologram of Anakin killing younglings.

He delievers the line very badly. Its almost funny.

"I, I saw a security hologram of him...KILLING YOUNGLINGS!"

DUN DUN DUN!

When he puts his hand to his mouth when delivering the line its just quite funny IMO.

17. Uric-Qel-Droma

Uric-Qel-Droma Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    was sincere in my opinion.

i think he felt genuine regret for padme, since she was such a nice person and all.

18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    He was most definatly sincere. Obi-Wan has a tremendous humanity to him, and I think he knows that Padme's world is being destroyed. Through the force, he may even be able to feel her "life force" weakening and I think deep down he realises what a terrible toll it will take Padme when ke kills Anakin. But, he has a job to do and even though it will destroy Padme, he knows what must be done....

19. Starwars_1977-1983

Starwars_1977-1983 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2004
    200 % sincere !

One of the most touching moments of Ep III.

I can't even see how it could be interpretated otherwise.

20. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    The reason I interpreted it that way is the expression on Padme's face. It cuts her deep. It may not have been Obi-Wan's intention to insult her, but she was not happy to hear someone pity her.

21. Jedi_Hoppin_Bun

Jedi_Hoppin_Bun Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    HC, I too, thought it was a slam.

I do believe Obi-Wan is extremely sympathetic with the position Padme finds herself in, pregnant and married to an evil Sith Lord. However, even after he tells Padme about Anakin's turn and the murder of younglings, she still doesn't come forth with Anakin's whereabouts. I just believe that Obi-Wan is exasperated with Padme. Presenting his case rationally has gotten him nowhere with her. She still won't give Anakin up even though Jedi and younglings have been murdered, Palpatine is behind it and Anakin has thrown himself in with Palpatine and has betrayed the Jedi.

Obi-Wan had to say this line, the way he said it, to appeal to Padme on an emotional level. Up until that point, nothing else had worked with her. And, work it did. Just after he left, she flew to Anakin on Mustafar and the rest is history.

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I like the way that line was spoken, because he sounds like he could be sincere and insulting at the same time imo. I think he was being sincere, but the tone of his voice makes it sound like could have been throwing an insult as well.

23. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    I think Obi-Wan was definitely sincere. As Anakin's friend and mentor, he feels terrible about what happened to Anakin and about what he will have to do. Obi-Wan also sympathizes with Padme, and how this turn of events will affect her and the babies.

24. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    Oh DEFINITELY sincere!

From the moment he first said it, I got a lump in my throat. It's one of my favourite lines in the movies and Ewan just nailed it. Just beautiful!!

And I don't think Padme looked angry either. She looked more ashamed to me - probably about hiding the fact of her marriage and subsequent pregnancy to Anakin, and that everything had gone all wrong..

A very touching moment for both characters..

25. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    It sounded like Obi Wan was distancing himself from Padme and his own emotional attachments at that moment and dedicating himself to the "Jedi cause" - as expressed visually when he turns away and lifts up his hood. I think Obi Wan needed to do this to discipline himself against every fibre of his being that was telling him that Anakin was his brother and he couldn't possibly fight him ("I can't do it. He's like a brother to me.). If he couldn't call upon his Jedi stoicism to get to Mustafar, then he would NEVER have gotten there. It's very unusual (possibly unique?) to see a Jedi covering his head - to the best of my knowledge, we'd only ever seen a Jedi LOWERING his hood before. What's more, Obi Wan does so before entering his starcraft; since when do Jedi pilot craft with their hoods raised? It was a very symbolic gesture Obi Wan made to steady himself against the waviness of his emotions and the tide ahead. Padme may have been harshly deflected at this point - but I see it more as an inherent by-product of Obi Wan's choice. He had to stop being a concerned friend, turn his back, assert his Jedi-ism and walk off - figuratively and literally - to do the inevitable. I guess his cool Jedi swagger helps none (making him look like an uncaring bastard) but it's all par for the course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.