main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm sorry, but I just have to say.....

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by DarthPaul77, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDE_MATTER

CRUDE_MATTER Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2005
    i guess it really is different strokes for different folks.

when someone ranks TPM before ANH i don't even know how to reply.

2. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    There is stuff coming in ROTS that will make TPM very relevant.

I'm afraid I cannot agree with your apraisal, Moriarty.

-JR :)

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    CRUDE_MATTER: I rank TPM about the same as ANH.

4. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I, like many others, was initially disappointed with TPM. However, it's really grown on me. And I have to agree about ROTS - once part of that film is revealed, I think the public will understand/like TPM a lot more... not to mention that a lot of the complaints about the way people and groups act in TPM and AOTC will be explained/answered. I can't wait. :cool:

5. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    a lot of the complaints about the way people and groups act in TPM and AOTC will be explained/answered. I can't wait.

Well said! But as we know we've got fans who are better directors! [face_devil];)

6. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Well, since we opened up the spoiler thread in SWC, I've gone pretty spoiler heavy and I can honestly say there is nothing in ROTS that will make TPM better. That being said, I think TPM is the best PT and (from what I've read so far) will continue to be so after ROTS, but I just don't see anything coming out of ROTS that's going to improve TPM.

7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    This isn't really a spoiler, since George has said it numerous times... in ROTS we find out about the ability to save one's identity after death.

From what I've heard at spoiler sites, this scene (the explanation of the ability itself less so than the supposed 'revelations' - for me at least - about the way the Jedi have lived and the rules they have used) should be very cool, and is what I was mostly referring to.

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Let's keep the ROTS discussion in the ROTS forums where it belongs...

9. D-B

D-B Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2004
    I agree with many of you here that TPM gets an unfair amount of bashing from certain circles. I just wanted to add that I think part of the problem with its misconception from some fans is that they had (and to some degree probably still are) written that movie in their head for years and when what was actually on the screen did not match up to what they had imagined they were very disappointed. And not the kind of disappointment one feels when a sequel doesn't match up to its predecessor, because as we all know (we wouldn't be here if we didn't) the Star Wars movies are more than just movies aren't they? =)

I think TPM is a wonderful movie. It's entertaining, it's fun, it offers a little galactic history lesson, answers some questions from the OT and raises a whole lot more.

10. ObiWanKaitobi4

ObiWanKaitobi4 Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2005
    The Phantom Menace, is probably my favorite Star Wars film. Every time I watch the lightsaber duel between Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon I still get shivers. I love that scene. I agree with the fact that there is a lot in it that built up for Attack of the Clones. When I see Return of the Sith, I'm pretty sure it wil be one of the best yet and my new favorite.

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    ROTS won't make TPM better.

It will just make TPM's quality more apparant.

12. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
  13. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Go-Mer-Tonic: For the first time, I must dissagree with you.

Sometimes, you cannot enjoy a story as much, without context

Let me give you an example of what I mean. When I was a young lad, I was very VERY dissapointed in ROTJ. While it was Star Wars, certian elements just didn't fit right with me. One of the things, that didn't fit right, was The Emperor/Luke/Vader scenes.. and of couse, the Ewoks. THat and Hammils sudden "seriousness"

However with both TPM and AOTC, many things of ROTJ took on new meaning. Lukes oppening appearence now brings chills, as we wonder if he has begun to slide to the dark side. The Vader/Palpatine/Luke scenes takes on a more urgent and painful mood. Hammils calmer, more mature portrayal of Luke Skywalker resonates with Liam Niessons, McGregor and Jacksons portrayals of Jedis.

In fact, the Ewoks appearence is Thematically improved when balanced with TPM... the signs that the galaxy is now returning to innocence.

Gomer, in fact I believe that the only thing that seperates TPM fans like ourselves, and the detractors is this: We had opened our minds and hearts to the actual story, and waited for Lucas to show us the complete context. The qualities of TPM to us, were apparent because we expected a fist chaper of the Saga then to be blown out of our chairs.

I firmly believe that once ROTS is released, it will bring out the balance that the detractors of TPM felt was lacking: It wasn't dark enough. When the darkness of ROTS comes forth, it will definitely give the contrast to the bright shiny light that was TPM

14. Emperor_Dantius

Emperor_Dantius Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2005
    Yep. I agree with y'all

15. Darth_Stern

Darth_Stern Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2003
    I am so glad to read a thread that embodies everything that I think about TPM and in many ways the saga as a whole. I think this attitude of the film will grow as people get "perspective" on what the entire story is.

In the film in question the main character is a child- a innocent- he comes into the story as we do. When we first see this "galaxy" we are introduced to it in his wide eyed perspective.

It has been a long running guess of mine that EVERY episodes tone is directly related to where Anakin is in HIS life.

The TPM suffered from one thing- expectations.
    We all just were not expecting to realize that something that scared us so bad in 1977 could be this little akward boy.
    That he walked around with this goofy annoying alien.
    That it happened that way.

But in the grand scheme of a generational saga it has a place.
    I love the TPM the most for how seemingly benign it is. Everything that happens in that film has a "well ok... allright" kind of feeling to it. And like its mirror ep4, it ends in a conclusion that really is a pirric victory.

When I first saw TPM, I suffered from the trap of high expectations. But now,when I defend it. I ask this question. "If you had NEVER heard of or seen Star Wars before, and you started watching TPM, could you turn it off? After seeing the two best representations of jedi in thier prime doing thier thing, right off the bat into action, would you lose interest?
    The Phantom Menace is a great introduction.

I get jealous of the person who can watch these six films the first time in order of episode.

all too easy

16. DarthMatter

DarthMatter Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2004
    Uh, TPM is as relevant to the saga as any other portion you care to name. It is the beginning, the opening, the setting of the scenes and tone for everything which is to come, as well as being a complete story on its own. In this category of film, TPM is as perfect a film as you're ever going to get. Read the TPM novel for even more reasons to love the film...

17. LordBlack

LordBlack Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    TPM is good. Improve the CGI and get rid of Jar Jar`s antics it would be great. The trouble is Lucas says that Star Wars is ment as a kiddies film, but, it has adult themes. This is why some people dont like TPM/AOTC i felt.

18. JohnMilner

JohnMilner Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2005
    I'm new to the forums :)

I would say that GFETT sumed it up as I would have.
    I loved TPM from the moment I first saw it, though I did have a strange feeling leaving the theater, which I attribute to seeing a new SW film after seeing the old ones hundreds of times.

People complain that the movie wasn't that exciting, and overall it wasn't supposed to be. TPM shows us the decadent apathy and complacency that the Republic had fallen into. Things were sitting on the edge of the knife waiting to be pushed into the abyss.

We get our character introductions, and we see how Anakin starts out fresh and naive, but also gives us hints as to what might bring him to the brink in the following films (seperation from his mother, anger issues, etc.)

Plus the political movements are what were really important about TPM, and we DO get some pretty impressive action, ESPECIALLY the End Duel and the Pod Race.

I also think that those wanted dialogue during the end duel aren't seeing it for what it is, an impersonal fight to the death, by two sides that have no history, but only a cold connection through two opposite sides of the Force. Dialogue would have ruined it IMO. Plus, 'Duel of the Fates' spoke volumes!

19. SithHistorian

SithHistorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2005
    I find that it is an ok movie, however it is no ESB or even AOTC.

Sith Historian

20. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I have to respectfully disagree with the sentiment. I really don't like TPM, and here's why. It's not because it doesn't fit what I think a Star Wars movie should be, it's not because the casting or any of the peformances. It's not because I think that it's a pointless movie. It's because, quite simply, I find the movie boring. It's just built around gee-whiz visual effects that wow you the first time you see them and then are just "meh". Now I'm not one of those "OT 4ever prequel trilogy is teh suck!111!" people, in fact I think a trilogy I prefer the Prequel trilogy(assuming ROTS is as awesome as I anticipate) but TPM to me just hasn't aged well.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    We get our character introductions, and we see how Anakin starts out fresh and naive, but also gives us hints as to what might bring him to the brink in the following films (seperation from his mother, anger issues, etc.)

Where are the anger issues?

I also think that those wanted dialogue during the end duel aren't seeing it for what it is, an impersonal fight to the death, by two sides that have no history, but only a cold connection through two opposite sides of the Force. Dialogue would have ruined it IMO. Plus, 'Duel of the Fates' spoke volumes!

This is very well put and exactly what I have been saying about the duel since 1999.

22. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Where are the anger issues?

Yoda: "Afraid to lose her, hmmm?"

Anakin : "What's THAT got to do with anything?"

Yoda struck a nerve. :cool:

23. JohnMilner

Mar 8, 2005
    His temper began to show through in his facial expressions during the council meetings on his future.
    The above posted line, as well as when they are told he is not to be trained, he looks P.O'd.

They also had the cut scene where he beats the snot out of Greedo, not shown, but another indication of his future temperment. ;)

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Cut scenes do not count. They are cut. As in not part of the film. As for his expressions in the Council chambers, ANY nine year old boy would be angry and upset at that news. I don't think anything in TPM indicates Anakin has anger issues.

25. JohnMilner

Mar 8, 2005
    Jeez dude, I understand that cut scenes are cut.
    I simply stated that things were hinted at regarding future character traits. I never said he was a rage-a-holic in the first fim. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.