I'm Sorry, I Can't Do It

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Daughter_Of_TheForce, Sep 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Master

star 4
    Five times I've checked out Vector Prime from the library, and I've never gotten past chapter one. The last EU novel I read was Shadow Hunter, and I devoured that in two days.

Is there something wrong with me? Or is it just that I'm too quick to put aside books I can't get into in 30 pages ?
  2. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Vector Prime was definitely not my favorite Star Wars book.
  3. Simone Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Hey that's what lis happening to me RIGHT NOW!

I bought Ruin when I was on hoilday and that was well only two or so weeks ago and I have been at page 97 for AGES!! I can't stand it every time I try to read some I can't in all honesty be bothered to. So I am currently reading Planet Of The Apes.

Don't worry about it, everytime it happens to me I go back to the novel after a while.
    I remember I read Rebirth in one and a half days.

Or

Maybe it is just the book, I remember being in the Greshim hotel (Dublin) on the first night laying on the floor at 11.pm at night with my Itti Bitti Book Light reading VECTER PRIME, forcing myself to read it.

I was reading in an empty bath at 2 in the morning, LOL my light was too bright and I kept waking everybody!!
    I spent my whole night in one of the most luxious hotels in Ireland in an empty bath LOL

I only read 50 pages and that was in what FOUR HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For some reason I can never read a book that I get out of the libary! don't quite know why?
  4. Balance_Point Jedi Master

star 4
    I've been stuck on some numberless page of Rogue Planet for ages. Some books just read faster than others, I guess. But although Vector Prime starts slow, it's definitely worth a full read-through if you can manage it. That one, unlike the one I'm reading (will Anakin and Obi-Wan ever get this stupid ship finished already??) definitely picks up after a little while.
  5. Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I read The Bacta War in 6 hours.
  6. jade_angel Jedi Master

star 4
    I remember reading a book that was only two hundred and fifty pages in five days, it was that boring.

It took me a whole month to read Fellowship of the Rings, and it was only 397 pages long!

Most Star Wars books only takes me at least two hours long depending on the page number. It took me five days to finish VP the first time when compared to BP, it only took me less then a day, and when I was reading VP I was skipping pages!!

Also, does anybody ever skip pages whenever they're reading a book for the first time? I do that for almost every Star Wars books since I only buy them to read about my favourite character.

And I understand what you mean about library books, I try to borrow books from libraries, but they're always so smelly and worn, so I don't bother anymore.
  7. MAD6121 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have tried many times to read Rogue Planet. I just can't get into the book.

8. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    uh... two hours?

Most novels I stretch out for a week, but Balance Point took me longer than a month. It is taking me that long to even buy Cloak of Deception.
  9. Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling

star 5
  10. Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Master

star 4
    Jade_angel, I don't have anything against library books. I check out some books to see if they're worth buying. That's what I was doing with Vector Prime in the beginning. Then months would go by before I'd check out the book and try to read it again.

11. jade_angel Jedi Master

star 4
    ?[face_plain] Wow... do people really read that slow? No offense to you DL. If you like a book it only takes you a short while to read it. I guess you didn't like BP or something. Most of the NJO books coming out now are less then 400 pgs and it's only a quick read for me, that's why I consider them more like kiddy books. And I said it depends on the page number when I'm reading a SW book, but it also depends whether I like the book or not. It took me three hours to read TAB, two hours for SOTE, all of KJA's Books, about four hours for NR, two days for COTJ, POT, and at least a week for me to finish the HOT and a week and a half for TTT. Prequel books takes longer... but I'm getting off topic. So I guess when I was saying two hours I'm basically exaggerating my butt off, but reading books that are less then 800 pgs takes no longer then a month unless I find it boring or something, then I'll just procrasinate and leave it off and it'll take me half a year to finish it.
  12. Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I read Tom Clancy's The Bear and the Dragon, which is over 1100 pages, I think, in 4 days.
  13. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I work a full time job and read only one to two hours a night before going to sleep.
  14. stevo Jedi Master

star 4
    I read Ruin, Onslaught, Vector Prime and Balance and both AoC books in less than 13 hrs
  15. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I've been on like page 65 or so of VOTF for months.
  16. jade_angel Jedi Master

star 4
    Stevo, do you mean you read all of them in less then 13 hours or did you read them separately? Either way,that's still good.
  17. corran_rouge9 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I love to read and it rarely takes me long to finish a book. Most SW I finish the day I get them unless it's late in the day that I get them. I read fast if I enjoy books, the whole Harry Potter series took less than a week when I finally decided to read them. Vector Prime took a little to get into, but really picks up.
  18. Opie Wan Cannoli Jedi Knight

star 3
    The whole HP series? Less than a week? Wooooowwwww......

Actually, I read #4 in fourteen hours, counting a forced eight-hor interruption (i.e. going to work).
  19. LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Master

star 4
    Man, Vector Prime is my favorite SW book. I think i read it pretty slow for some reason though. I read Conquest and Rebirth really quickly.
  20. AurraMouse Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think the Star Wars book I finished fastest was either the Crystal Star, which after reading PoT, seemed like the best novel in the world, or Rebirth, which I sped through the day I got it as fast as I could so I could get to Anakin and Tahiri's big scene at the end.
  21. Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Master

star 4
    A guess at why I'm having this problem is here.
  22. AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Master

star 4
    I've read all of the NJO books in less than two hours each, except VP, i just cn't get into it, i don't know why. could be because i know who dies.
  23. Master Chbel Jedi Master

star 4
    There is nothing wrong with not finishing a book you've started (unless it's a class assingment)--there are just too many other books out there.

It was a hard read--but that was because by the time I gave up on the library and bought a copy, I knew too much.

I'm an NJO fan, so would push that you don't give up on NJO quite yet. (I also know that there are readers who don't like it.) If you want to give the rest of the series a try, but just can't get into Vector Prime, try reading a detailed synopsis. There's one on TFN.
  24. Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council

star 7
    I'm not a big fan of Vector Prime, but I did find it easy to read.

The book I have struggled with is Wraith Squadron. Just about any person I talk to who has read it says it's great, but I've started it on at least 3 occasions (if not more) and have never gotten very far. The book is just missing something for me... the ability to capture my attention and suck me into the storyline... it's a pity too, because I really want to read Solo Command the later ones that Stackpole wrote... :(

~*~Bria
  25. Erk Force Ghost

star 4
    It took me two years getting through the Lord of the rings. : ) Ep1 though I read in 5 hours. Vector prime and Balance Point in two days each, There is no relation to how good a book is and how long it takes me to read it. Most books I ´finish in a week...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.