main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm Sorry, I Can't Do It

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Daughter_Of_TheForce, Sep 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    I also once read an Aldiss book with short stories, when I had finished it I realised that I didn't know what the heck any of the stories was about.

2. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    Sometimes the better a book is the longer it takes because you want to savor the literature instead of reading throught quickly just to finish it.........although then again...some really enjoyable books i've read, i've finished very quickly......i finished Terry Goodkind's Blood of the Fold (620 pages) inside of three days of purchace...sleep and constant distractions included......personaly i find that if you really get into a book, and have the time to read it in large sittings instead of in small doses, novels can just fly by in no time at all...

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I read at a rate of about 120-150 pages an hour. Rebirth took me less than two hours to read.

4. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    everyone seems to want to finish the books as fast as pssible! I try and drag them out a bot 'cause I know that when I'm finished there are no more SW books to buy for a while.

5. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    I guess I'll have to put NJO to the side for the time being. I'm more partial to Timothy Zahn's novels and the prequel books. I'm going buy Cloak of Deception next.

6. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Bria, you really should try and read Wraith Squadron. It is one of the best books in the X-Wing Series.

It contains an excellent plot, tons of humor (one of the main reasons to read it), and good action.

P.S. Solo Command was sort of a let down to me.

7. GoldenVeila

GoldenVeila Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Yeah, I read ridiculously fast. I'll buy a book and my mom will ask me the next day what happened to it and I'll tell her oh I finished it already. Lol. :) But like that other person said, I can never get myself to finish The Fellowship of the Ring either! I've only read the whole series once, in 4th grade for a book report (I'm a junior in high school now). I just can't get through it! Anyways, I devour SW books though, more so even than other books. But for some reason, when I was reading X-Wing:Rogue Squadron this last week I was reading it all the time but it seemed to last forever! Why is that I don't know because it wasnt boring or anything, far from it! (Yeah I just started reading the X-Wing series, I didn't know what I was missing!)

8. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Wow, i read The Two Towers and Return of the King in 8 days which is incredibly fast to read two books of that magnitude for me. I guess i was just motivated. God i love LOTR.

9. mj

mj Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 12, 1998
    Bria, don't feel bad. It took me forever to finish Wraith Squadron. Everyone was harping on me too (especially DL. He can't stand the fact that I have three half-read books on my night stand and no desire to read them.). I think the problem with WS was that I just can't really relate to a lot of space battles since I'm not very good with 3D imagination or maybe it just doesn't have a lot of relationship-type stuff that I crave. Must be the female in me... I had that problem with a number of the RS books, too.

The three half-read books (in case anyone's wondering) are *ducking from people throwing books at me* Rogue Planet, Iron Fist, and Ender's Game, the latter being DL's copy and he's not too thrilled that I haven't returned it yet. Iron fist is probably the last post-RotJ EU books that I have yet to read. I even read Solo Command before it. Could be that I don't want to read it because visiting here gave away the ending, so I'm not particularly looking forward to it. :\ Rogue Planet, although interseting in terms of the character development, just doesn't have enough action to keep my interest.

10. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    I guess that it's just a case of how different people are. I finish most of the SW books in 4-6 hours. But they only release them on Friday's here, so I grab them for something to do instead of assignments.

Best record, a 1100 page book in under 10 hours. Had to return it before a friend went overseas.

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I never skip pages because I'm afraid I'll miss something--plotwise or in terms of character enjoyment. When I reread, I do it by character. Read all of Leia, then all of Luke, etc. Having the ability to read 750 wpm with a 90% retention, SW books usually take me a couple of hours, more if I have interruptions (like my current interruption--college). Lord of the Rings I'm working on right now and have a lot of interruptions, so it'll take me several weeks. As for Harry Potter, I have a slightly skewed experience with the speed at which I read them. My aunt gave me the first one to entertain me when I had a sprained ankle last summer. I finished it in about three hours. I went out and bought the second one and read it in about the same time. Number 3 took me 7 hours because my brother kept stealing it. Number 4, I stole his copy and finished it in 5 hours flat. I loved Solo Command. Gave closure to so many things, but then left crucial things hanging. Good character interaction, tactical development, and of course intelligence work that actually exhibits some intelligence!

12. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    I checked out Cloak of Deception 4 times from my book store, got in 150 pages, and then couldn't go any further...

13. Emiaj

Emiaj Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    In my opinion there are two types of readers.

1. The fast reader who is looking for a fling. This reader is solely there to get a quick fix to satisfy them.

2. The thoughtful reader, who enters the book looking to savour and contemplate every word and its significance to the rest of the story. Due to their mind constantly wondering away from the text at hand reading takes them longer.

Professor Emiaj BSc SSc BS

14. AthyraFire

AthyraFire Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2001
    it takes me a while to read any book because i rarely have time to read. usually only about a half hour every day or every other day. i blazed through Rebirth, though, because i had jury duty (jury duty isn't so bad when you're not picked for a panel!)

i could NOT get into Rogue Planet. i dragged through 2/3 of it and finally stalled on the last 1/3 and couldn't finish it. i dreaded the thought of reading it so i gave up. it was very slow and boring to me. there was like, almost no plot for as long as the book was.

as a contrast, it took me three weeks to read the Mists of Avalon (832 pages, i believe), while working full time, going out with friends, and taking care of a horse. i had about an hour every day to read, so i tore through it pretty quickly (i also like to savor the good parts of a book--read it over and over again while imagining it)

15. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    Whenever a new Star Wars book comes out, I blaze through it and usually finish it in under 3 hours. Subsequent readings take much longer, though.

16. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I've read Vector Prime, but I didn't like it. The only other NJO book I've read was Balance Point, and I still can't decide if it's actually worse than VP.

I will read the next three NJO hardbacks, but only so I will be up on what is going on in the EU version of a GFFA.

17. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    You people are not making me enthusiastic about finishing the last third of Rogue Planet that I have left to read. :p

18. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Rogue Planet... sigh. I consider it to be one of the worst books I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    That book was seriously not worth the effort. I was so disappointed.

20. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    Vector Prime took me 2 days. I never managed to finish the Black Fleet Trilogy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.