main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm sure we've all heard this by now, but...Original Trilogy (unmodified by Lucas!) to be released!

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Kai_Vandekar, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060504/en_usatoday/starwarsgoesbacktobasics

Wow. I can't believe it. SOooooooooooooooooooooo excited!

- Kai

2. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Well on the one hand it's about time, on the other hand, couldn't they have bundled that with the one they sold last year?

I have a lot of limited shelf space dedicated to the various versions of these films.

And why do I have this feeling that the release will be timed to promote either the TV show OR the 3D release. Will the 3D be original or extra crispy with it comes out on DVD as well?

*shakes his Yoda magic 8 Ball*

"Maybe"

(BTW, yes I do have a yoda figure that is a magic 8 ball, my mom found him at a flea market years ago and sent him along. I need to add more liquid to him, he's running about a 1/4 low, but he still works. As much as any Jedi master who lives on Dagobah does that is.)

3. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Well, we all know that Lucas will do anything and everything to squeeze money out of us poor suckers who made the mistake of being enchanted by his movies. I really agreed with that article not long ago about how Star Wars fans "hate Star Wars" and regard Lucas somewhat as Vader--evil, but perhaps with a glimmer of good in there, somewhere.

It's really amazing how totally dedicated to making obscene amounts of money he is. And yeah, I know that's how successful businesses are run, and that he's in this to build his own Empire -- he's said as much.

But when one compares him to JMS, or Whedon, or...

Anyway. I know that could stir up a fuss, so I'll leave it. Everybody here knows how much I adore the SW universe. It's just too bad, in some ways, that it was invented by someone who seems to have left his soul at the door. I hope he's a really kind, warm and lovely human being deep down inside. ;)

/rant

- Kai

4. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Note: This was posted to the SFFF site in response to the discussion over the new vs. the old trilogy. Kim and Josie were there that night, they remember it well I suspect. And I'm glad Leslye was there. I miss her a lot, she was a part of "the group" and had a hand in my meeting the love of my life. Leslye, this is for you too...

I'll be glad to see the original back except for one part, but I'm kind of biased...

We got to see the re-release of ANH and ESB locally, but for Jedi we drove down to Mann?s Chinese Theater in Hollywood, got tickets for opening day through friends, who were taking turns holding places in line.

The audience there was all hardcore fans, some had been in line a week or so, many in costume, most totally stoked to see the end of the trilogy on the big screen again... for the last time (so we all thought). The crowd was just awesome, laughed at the funny parts, cheered for the right people, and came up with a few real killer toss in lines ala Rocky Horror;

Leia to Ewok: "I'm not going to hurt you.."
    Audience: "HURT HIM HURT HIM!!!"

Emperor: "Yooouuu want thiss don't youuuu"
    Audience: *widespread snickers* "PERV!"

During certain moments you could have heard a pin drop, others were drowned out by laughter or cheers. It was just the experience of a lifetime, the feeling of oneness in the recycled air.

And when the Ewok song was replaced with a much more reverent tune, and the new footage showing the Galaxy celebrating the fall of the Empire, it reverberated with the fall of the Berlin Wall and the statues of Stalin, a message of hope for the future, that there can BE a future without suffering and persecution, a hopeful note for all those fighting overwhelming odds against tyranny and oppression. The end was transformed from a teddy bear dance party into something much larger and meaningful.

As the first glimpse of Coruscant bespoke of the prequel series to come, a lot of people just teared up, began to stand up and seek out old friends, shake hands and hug strangers, knowing this chapter was over, the trilogy was once again complete, the end of another era and chapter in the Star Wars legend. Most knew another episode was in the works, but most were unsure if Lucas would pull it off, or how it would fit in or be accepted without the iconic heroes and villains they knew and grew up with. As those on the screen celebrated and shared stories, so did those in the audience, it was like the gathering at Endor had spilled over into reality.

Some, like my wife, were at that very place years ago for the first showing of Jedi back in 1983 and was seeing faces not seen in a decade. Others brought their children so they could experience it as they did, children that had been only seen Star Wars on the small screen or had not yet been born during the first run, when we were all so much younger and innocent. Some were quietly musing on the absence of others, "I wish he/she had lived to see this again...",

It was at the same time a joyous moment as well as sad and sobering.

It was the ultimate class reunion, the class of The Original Star Wars Trilogy 1977-1983.

The other revisions are not a big deal to me (I'm a Han shoots first fan), but every time I hear that song I realize how much this film has changed people's lives and brought together people from all over the world and formed friendships, bonds and even lifelong partners, and how time is catching up to all of us OT fans, how future generations will never gasp in utter disbelief when Vader said those epocial words, ?No, I am your Father!? That surprise is gone now, the story is out, and a different Anakin exists now with the telling of the longer tale.

To me the revised ending is a much more fitting end to the saga, and although I welcome back the original, I will always find a fondness for that haunting theme.

But like I said, I?m biased by that magical and strange moment in time.

5. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    From TFN:

On May 3 when Starwars.com announced Lucasfilm LTD and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment would finally release the Original Trilogy, unaltered on DVD, fans rejoiced. For good reason, as it seemed George Lucas has finally given in to the relentless pleading from countless fans for the original version of the movies on DVD.

Caught up in the excitement, few wondered out loud exactly what form these would take. Certainly fans have become well used to amazing and pristine DVD releases of Star Wars movies with incredible soundtracks on DVD.

This, however, is not to be for this release of the movies.

This week, a number of details about the release have come out, and for many, the news is terrible.

I'm not going to go into this in much detail, as it is already well documented over at the fine DVD site, TheDigitalBits.com. Below are the key points, but if you really want some detail, do head over to The Digital Bits for much more.

DVD Release Details

Video source: Same as used for the 1993 Definitive Collection Laserdisc.

Widescreen: Letterboxed, not anamorphic as the other Star Wars DVDs are. (IE, compared to most DVD releases which are anamorphic, these can't possibly look as good as they would if anamorphic.)

Note: These DVDs will apparently not include the amazing restoration seen in the Special Edition set. They will not look as good, nor will they sound as good as the Special Edition sets.

If you have comments on this, whether you are delighted to get them in any form, or are disappointed with the details, write us, and we'll post your emails. For or against, feel free to state your opinion, but of course keep it professional.

And for those who want to voice their opinion directly:

Jim Ward
    Senior Vice President
    Lucasfilm Ltd.
    5858 Lucas Valley Rd.
    Nicasio, CA 94946

Phone: 415-662-1800
    Fax: 415-448-2495

also publicity@lucasfilm.com

Remember, keep the tone respectful. But make your voice heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.