main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Im watching AOTC right now and the problem with the love story was....

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Master_Gallia, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    what again?? As I type this, the fireplace is on. Im listen to Anakin but watching Padme. If anything her dialog is a stretch but not that bad.

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I don't have a major problem with the fireplace scene.
    It is awkward at times, but nothing big.
    The scene of the Anakin/Padme relationship that I think is a bit odd is the one in the Coruscant apartment. Anakin says "He is as wise as Master Yoda and as strong as Master Windu.........He won't let me move on." Hayden's acting in that scene is a bit strange to me.

There small problems, the major problem with the love story is that they cut the family scenes. Those scenes on Naboo added a humanity to Padme's character and made the relationship much deeper. It is a shame they were cut from the film.

-Seldon

3. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    The problems with the love story are: A) Anakin complains/whines about too much that's going on; B) They're surrounded by terror (Shmi's death, Padme's assassination attempts, Clone Wars); C) There's way too much discussion of politics (WAY TOO MUCH!); and D) Padme's being a ***** to Anakin constantly.

Strilo edit: That word is not allowed in that context...

4. seventyard

seventyard Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2003
    i couldn't agree more with Seldon. the love story is a lot more believable when you take into consideration the deleted scene with her family, especially the one with padme washing dishes (or something?) with her mother and sister while anakin talks with her father outside.

do the introductory videos to those deleted scenes drive anyone else crazy?

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Honestly I think the love story is pretty good. I was scared to death it would be Titanic bad but I thought it was alright. The "Truly Deeply Love you" scene is just atrocious due to bad dialogue and acting for Padmé but the rest I like. I actually think the biggest problem with the love story is the removal of the two deleted scenes at Padmé's parents' place. Those are critical to understanding Padmé's side of the relationship.

6. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I didn't cringe at all when I first saw it. But... now I do.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't have a problem with it, either. Sure, it's awkward, but have you been around young people recently? For the large part, they're completely melodramatic when it comes to 'love'. I think a lot of people who criticize the AotC romance for being cringe-worthy need to step outside their shoes. Because I cringe at the likes of you when you're wallowing about how your true love has broken your heart :rolleyes:

Add in the fact that love is something neither of them have had time to really experience because of their societal roles, and I felt it was fine. You just have to not look at those scenes and think, "I'm supposed to be caught up in their emotions and swept away by their wonderful poetic language." I think if you watch the scenes with the attitude of, "these characters feel things they don't understand and can't express", it makes a lot more sense and is more true to the story. You're supposed to see how creepily possessive Anakin is, I think.

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. Lord_Morningstar

Lord_Morningstar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    My opinion, pure and simple, is that the problem with the love story is that I don?t want to watch it. The purpose of a film is to entertain, and I simply cringe through those scenes, embarrassed for the actors, Lucas, and Star Wars fans worldwide. I think AotC is a good film overall, but it falls pretty low sometimes.

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I had no problem with it when I first saw it, so there's no reason for me to have any problem with it now.
    The love story of Anakin and Padmé is unique and that's why I like it.

Love is magical
    /LM

10. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I like that it's multi-layered, full of some rather damning and complex issues on selfishness and human emotion, and I do think the validity (haha, that's a funny term to apply to movie romance) of it is hurt a bit by some of the deleted scenes. Otherwise, I think it's over all fairly well done.

I actually would have been less inclined to swallow it had Padme and Anakin been more easy-going around each other. Anakin Skywalker is not a comfortable person to be around if you're the object of his affections. He's pressing, intense, unpredictable, and unstable. His emotional dependence can be more than little unsettling, especially with the way he desperately clings. Padme isn't much better. She's uncomfortable with intimate contact and is many ways a closed off person. She's very reserved and unused to the kind of pained, open-ended honesty that Anakin gives (and which likely attracted her, too). So, I kind of expected a stilted chemistry between them, though I think Lucas' directing probably had alot to do with it as well.

Over all, I think it's fairly decently done. It's not perfect - even Lucas admits to it having flaws - but I found it just as believable as any other romance in SW or any other movie, for that matter.

B) They're surrounded by terror (Shmi's death, Padme's assassination attempts, Clone Wars)

o_0 Don't you think extreme situations is often what brings people together? What Anakin and Padme go through in the course of a few weeks reveals some of the deepest, most honest pieces of themselves to each other. Padme probably sees more of Anakin's soul in the Tatooine scenes alone than he's allowed Obi Wan to know in ten years.

I can see what you were going for, but generally, I think most people would agree that times of suffering often drive people to seek out comfort and affection in each other rather than wedge them apart.

11. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    The only problem I have with the love story is that it wasnt dragged out long enough. They should have kept the little section from when they go to meet Padme's family in the film. It would make more sence.

12. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    I didn't have any major problems with it. Not as good as the Han/Leia one, but I enjoyed it a lot.

13. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    My main problem (along with most people I know, fans and non-fans alike) is that there seems to be no real transition in the love story. They're talking, flirting, then off to Tatooine, and suddenly "truly, deeply" in love.

What?

After reading the script and seeing the deleted scenes, I thought, "Ok, that makes sense." But without those, it's like jumping from Point A to Point F with B, C, D, and E missing.

This is a common Hollywood problem, and one that's there in many films (I recall my first time seeing The Matrix when Trinity said she loved Neo and all I thought was, "Um, didn't you just meet him like a week ago and he's been doing kung fu since then?"). We analyze it more because it is SW and that's what we do, but don't think that these things aren't rare problems with films in general.

14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I didn't have any major problems with it. Not as good as the Han/Leia one, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Yeah, I liked. I had heard before the movie came out that the Anakin/Padme romance was going to have lots of flirting and witty banter like Han and Leia and I was alittle dissappointed when it turned out to be semi-seriousm but overall it was handled well.

15. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Watch the OT again and see the love story between Han and Leia- then watch the PT between Anakin and Padme- and you tell me whats wrong. :)

CLone

16. Shfo-Powken

Shfo-Powken Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2005
    i always skip senes cuz its weird

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    bswb posted on 4/10/05 6:30pm
    They're talking, flirting, then off to Tatooine, and suddenly "truly, deeply" in love.

What?

After reading the script and seeing the deleted scenes, I thought, "Ok, that makes sense." But without those, it's like jumping from Point A to Point F with B, C, D, and E missing.
    [hr][/blockquote]

As I said, examine young people's "romance" today and you'll find the same thing. People are truly, deeply in love all the time, supposedly, and then half the country gets divorced, especially the younger ones, because they rush into everything. The circumstance here is extenuated by the drama of the situation for them. That's the kind of things young people say because they've never actually been in love.

I do think those deleted scenes would help, though. Personally, I just don't think they are actually in love. Not a true, deep love like they think they have. It's pretty selfish and whimsical, especially from Anakin's POV. Therefore, I view the love scenes differently than those expecting it to be some really moving and profound.

[hl=tan][color=darkred][b]-sj loves kevin spacey[/hl][/color][/b]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.