main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm writing a two composting tutorials, need YOUR reference material.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Hey guys. I'm writing a tutorial for doing blue and greenscreening using Mini DV footage, and how to combat the compression artifacts. I know DVmatte does very well, but my tutorial will be for those who do not own DVmatte. What I want is a still frame from a Mini DV camcoder with a blue or greenscreen (or an example of both) in the background. I would use shots from my film, however, they have not been shot yet :p. So any help would be great.

Oh, and the second tutorial will be on adding a CG element to a live action shot.

2. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    sounds cool, regretfully i have nothing for you at the moment, sorry.

3. Sciz

Sciz Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2002
    Try This

Not the best shot in the world, but if it works for ya, great, if not, don't use it! :)

EDIT: Not me, but I'm sure he doesn't mind. :) Bluescreen isn't perfect ... but I think a good representation of what a lot of us have!

4. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    thanks man! But what are you using? *please say After Effects (which I payed for) and not 3DStudio (which costs too much)*

5. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Hey Pixel, glad you finally get to make your tutorials! Both topics are very appreciated as I am at the point where I get to my bluescreen and CG compositing shots and my current movie, I´m pretty sure your tutorials will help me alot! Thx in advance.

6. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    pixel,

i can provide you some really BAD green/bluescreen footage with lots of nasty artifacts. If you can key it and make it look good, then that tutorial would be as good as gold. It would give you an example of what to do when you dont have a great camera or your set isn't lit by someone who knows what they are doing ;) Been pulling my hair out trying to get a decent key on some bad footage, so i got lots i can give ya.

7. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    try this but if you use it in the tutorial make sure to point to www.NinaGoddess.com/video2.html in it.. coz, uh, it's from there ;)

Shot w. Canon MV30i in progressive mode in a garage under flourecent light.... and using cheap green cloth.

Enjoy the green spill too. BWahahahah.

Also, this is shot in PAL so it has a 4:2:0 color space whereas NTSC has 4:1:1 color space. In plain english: NTSC has 1 color sample per 4 luma sample HORIZONTALLY, while PAL has 1 color sample per 4 luma samples in a 2x2 pixel block!!!

/Z

8. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    WD: More than likly he will make the keying tutorial for AE, how would you do it in 3Ds? But anyway, i am sure the CG with Live Action Tutorial will be done with AE and 3DsMax.

Correct me if i am wrong here pixel.

9. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Well, although the tutorial will partly involve pulling a good matte, that's really not what the tutorial is about. It's more about intergrating the object so that it doesn't look like a cardboard cutout. It will be more about matching levels and lighting. But part of it will show how to deal with DV compression. I would ask Mister X if I could put his method in the tutorial, but I don't know how to PM him.

And Brent, you are most certainly correct.

10. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    sounds pretty cool pixel i know it'll be great. here is mister-x's profile. Bet ya never knew there was a user search function ;) umm, i'm 97% sure that the ctk was shot on mini-dv but you should pm rive to make sure.

11. sithgoblin3

sithgoblin3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    Looking forward to it

12. Darth_Apporth

Darth_Apporth Jedi Master star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    Hey - what's going on? I come in here looking for composting tutorials and what do I find?

Not one word about compost!

;)

13. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    1. Rake up all leaves in garden, and collect general garden waste.

2. Build a small structure/dustbin in the bottom of garden.

3. Place garden refuge in structure/dustbin.

4. Wait until mulched.

5. Introduce foul smelling result back into garden, and watch flowers grow.

And the Composite toolkit does use mini dv Macho :)

14. sithgoblin3

sithgoblin3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    It's everything I wanted and more!

15. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    masterzap used a 3D app for the greenscreening in his movie (very nice, check it ous) so knowing that pixel was partial to 3D apps I was worrying that me too may use this method.

16. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Well, in all actuality, I used AE to extrace the matte (i.e. image, and alpha, also added the glow in AE) and then used those on a plane in 3DS Max... so MAX did the "compositing" while AE did the actual "matte extraction from greenscreen". For some this is kinda a backwards way to do it but gave me a lot of camera motion freedom.... see the video (linked above) for details :)

(I mean there is a dolly shot going in from outerspace landing on Nina sitting on a rock on an alien planet, the easiest way to get it right was to do it straight in the 3D app... but maybe thats just me... dunno... I'm dumb and Swedish :D )

/Z

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.