main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Imagine a Noghri Jedi!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darthparth, Sep 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Peregrine...
    "It's Genghis trying to bash EVERYTHING about Zahn again..."

Not everything - in this case I was criticizing his tendency to create his own versions of "Noghri Jedi." Something which he wasn't alone in doing as a Star Wars author.

"Gee, I've never seen such hate against a SW author. Not Hambly, not Jeter, not even the guys who wrote the GODV series."

You must seperate an author from his works. Please don't suggest that I hate someone simply because his/her ideas may not be the greatest.

2. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    This Noghri lifespan thing causes a little problem : some Noghri in HoT must be really old, since they were already in TTT. And there's 10 years between the two books, if I remember well. We then have to take into account the Noghri aren't adult - and thus can't 'professionaly' fight - before... let's say 3. And then assuming that only the best fighters'd be assigned to Leia, and considering the Noghri reach the 'veteran' status only at 7 (just my guess, but it'd be quite logical). That implies that the Noghri in HoT were something like 17, and thus not in their top-notch physical and fighting condition. It then would be illogical to assign them to Leia.

But in the EGtAS, Leia says generation. On Earth, a new generation 'appears' every 20 years. And we live for approximatively 100 years. Then, for the Noghri, we just have to divide by two both numbers, and that leads to a 50 years lifespan for them, which is quite reasonable.

But then, Noghri could have kids more rapidly than humans. What if they reach sexual maturity at 10 ? A new generation then appears every 10 years, but that does not mean the Noghri will have a shorter lifespan. In that case, who knows, they could even live for 200 years...

[More or less off-topic question for Ghengis12] Ghengis, do you consider every Zahn creation to be... ahem... 'kewl' (ya know what I mean...) ? Like the Interdictors, for example (They were invented by Zahn, right ? - Correct me if I'm wrong -) or Talon Karrde ? [End of the more or less off-topic question]

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember the maitrarch in ttt saying she was passing on the story of Lord Vader that was passed down to her by the maitrarchs before her.

Infact all this new info was a fix because of zahn's errors in TTT dating of when the empire began. So the Noghri years fix had to be created.

4. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    PrinceXizor...
    "[More or less off-topic question for Ghengis12] Ghengis, do you consider every Zahn creation to be... ahem... 'kewl' (ya know what I mean...) ?"

Not every one of them.

"Like the Interdictors, for example (They were invented by Zahn, right ? - Correct me if I'm wrong -)"

Interdictors weren't created by Zahn. They were around at least in early WEG material several years prior to Zahn's Star Wars work.

"or Talon Karrde ? [End of the more or less off-topic question]"

Yes, I consider Talon Karrde to be "kewl." Karrde become so much more kewler when Zahn had his photo taken for the character in the CCG. Karrde is as kewl as Larry Stu is - and you can't get any kewler than that!

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I was wondering when the maitriak was going to come up. She struck me as being quite old. And, of course, a best-guess for the Battle of Honoghr is maybe ANH-6 years or so. Call it 15 years before Thrawn's return. I'm guessing that'd make the maitriak considerably older than twenty..

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Remember there are exceptions to the rule, and while she may seem "old" from what she said, remember that noghri year is much shorter than a galactic year, and the timing of events is much different for the time that she mentioned. If one goes by what she said literally, then vader would have been 6 when he attacked honoghr. She is an old noghri, and much younger when put next to a Galactic standard year.

7. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Genghis : Thx for the precisions.

Back to the Noghri : The maitrakh actually assisted to the battle - I just checked it -, but it's not said whether she was old or not. So we can assume she was already quite old when it all happened.

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "So we can assume she was already quite old when it all happened."

Actually one could assume both ways. An assumption hardly makes fact as you may know, we need hard information before we start to infer age on noghri of the battle of honoghr.

Actually ghengis or someone that have the TTT sourcebooks, what is the info that the TTT sourcebooks have about the battle of honoghr, including pictures, and physical description, maybe age of the maitrarch at that time?

That would really explain a bit more to us?

Ghengis what's your oppinion?

9. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Valiento...
    "Ghengis what's your oppinion?"

You mean besides the fact that Zahn kriffed up bigtime. ( :eek: ) But aside from that...

The matriarch could perhaps have some sort of Force-bond that no one knows about which keeps her alive. We generally know good Force-users live longer than their good non-Force counterparts. So, what if the Noghri instinctively know who the Matriarch is because of the strong Force-bond. It can remain an unspoken/unknown bond to the Noghri, but would explain why a Noghri with special status is special. The Matriarch lives longer because she has the Force as her ally? Could perhaps work. I just don't want to see any Noghri Jedi because of it though. :p

"Actually ghengis or someone that have the TTT sourcebooks, what is the info that the TTT sourcebooks have about the battle of honoghr, including pictures, and physical description, maybe age of the maitrarch at that time?"

I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to check the stuff. However, I don't believe they give the matriarch's age. They did rather minimal ret-con work from what I remember. But, I also forgot about Jan Ors in GG3 - you never know what you're going to find after a few years of being away from the material.

10. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Corran has become a crappy character. He was endurable during his initial four novels and his stories, but since I, Jedi he's been an annoying, preachy, never-wrong, know-it-all character who's always there to do exactly the right thing and set exactly the right example...at least when Stackpole works on him. Zahn and Keyes made him relatively innoffensive.

11. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Gosh Genghis, you really suck at sarcasm. ;)

12. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    Corran is wonderful! (Runs around the room with fingers in her ears yelling for a few minutes so she won't hear people calling Corran "kewl") ;)

Okay, on to an idea. Average lifespan can be significantly reduced by endemic disease or by *young men going off to die in wars*. So maybe the average lifespan is so low because a lot of young males were going off and getting killed, or because of wars within clans and stuff. Also, there was that whole shortage of food thing. Maybe they *can* live for a lot longer, they just don't. Okay, everyone go ahead and pick this apart now.

13. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    I just found this thread, and i would like to say that a Noghri Jedi would be pretty neat...they would have some impressive fighting skill. However, I think that it might not be a good idea because chances are it wouldnt be a developed storyline and then it would be pretty pointless and stupid, just there to please the fans. (Although i admit, it would be fun to see a Noghi Jedi wander into a scene, kick some major Vong @$$, and then leave :D )

But what I am saying is, the Noghri don't need the force! They are cool enough as it is. They were one of Zahn's (First in my personal Holy Triumvirate of Star Wars Authors) better creations, IMHO.

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    I got the idea of the Noghri lifespan being around 60 or so... And correct me wropn, but didn't the Matriarch say the Big Crash happen 48 Noghri years ago, and then that it was 44 of your years ago? And if her sons were among the firsts to go (Not sure, eons since I read TTT) She would have to be older than that... right?

Ara
    (Confused, sick and afraid of her Latin class)

And I still say that Corran is amazing, and Mike Stackpole is the greatest SW author. *Ducks when all Zahn fans throw heavy objects at her* But that's just my opinion.

And... CORRAN ISN*T INFALLIBLE! (Sorry about shouting) Despite your opinion.

15. RogueJaina

Jul 6, 2001
    Go, Ara!

16. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    I just got an idea for an incredible Infinities comic series !!!!

The 'Star Wars All in One Character Special'.

Take a basic Jedi. Add Maul and Skywalker lightsaber fighting skills. All of Thrawn's genius, Corran's cockyness, the Emperor's recklessness, Xizor's manipulative skills, yadi yadi yada, and you got the 'All in One Character' out of the mix !!!

And then you put him in an arena, in space in a single X-Wing or on the bridge of an SSD, or whatever, and then you throw a lotta enemies at him, and you see how he miraculously escapes with all his supreme skills !!!

That'd be a great Infinities comic series, no ? Maybe I should send the idea to DH, no ? ;)

17. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    That's a really "kewl" idea you have there ;)

18. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Hum, thank you. Yes, yes, please, yes thank you !

19. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    Really 'kewl'. And made me laugh my ass off in a library. So now everyone looks at me weirdly.. no, weirdlier than before...

Ara
    (Isard's long lost daughter, drow-wannabe, etc.)

20. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    "So now everyone looks at me weirdly.. no, weirdlier than before..."

It happens to me all the time ! ;)

21. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    I though it only happened to me? Maybe i'm not alone in being weird after all!

22. RogueJaina

Jul 6, 2001
    Gee, I didn't know that that happened to other people. I don't think that people can think I'm any weirder than before, though, because they already think I came from another planet or something.

Anyway, Prince, you forgot that he should be saying wise stuff like Yoda all the time and be royalty like Tenel Ka. :p

23. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    HAHAHAHAHAHA! Xixor...LOL! That was pretty funny..lets see, you've forgotten the Solo luck, the Wookie climbing ability, the C'boath craziness...hey, we could actually be on to something here! ;)

BTW Ara...I think its cool that you like Stackpole (Second in my personal Holy Triumvirate of Star Wars Authors) the best of all the authors, its just that I dont. This is just our own opinions, and I promise never, ever, EVER to bash or throw things at someone becase of their opinion...I might tease them a little, but that would be it. ;)

Seriuosly, I think that on the Lit board there are too many people who bash eachother for having opinions different then their own...and I am making it my personal policy never to so that, no matter how much I may be agravatted. Now to stick to that one will take some major biting of my tounge...

24. RogueJaina

Jul 6, 2001
    Or cutting off of fingers. I know how hard that is sometimes when someone is outspoken about their opinions...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.