main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

IMAX AOTC - Cleveland General Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Krash, Oct 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    The more I read about how many cities are reconsidering their desision no to carry the IMAX release of AOTC, the more I think we need to at least encourage Cleveland showing the film.

Anybody know who to call over at GLSC? If not, I can look into it.

2. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    Krash, They only show science films there. I found out when I was at the Disney store that they do that, because I asked if they would show The Lion King at GLSC when it comes out at Christmas. The closest one that shows Holywood films is Marcus Theatre (I think that is it) down in Columbus.

3. Darth-Zod

Darth-Zod Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    I agree. There is little to no chance of the GLSC showing AOTC. I thick our best chance is to team up with the folks in Columbus and put pressure on Marcus to show it.

4. NICK_FET

NICK_FET Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2002
    IT IS SHOWING IN BUFFALO ONLY 3 HRS FROM HERE AT TRANSIT REGAL

5. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Hmmm... Columbus. The Mid-Ohio-Con is in Columbus. Hmmm.

6. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbus isn't getting it...the closest one is THE HENRY FORD MUSEUM in Detroit.

Should we get the phone# of the GLSC and voice our displeasure at no being able to see AOTC in Cleveland? There is still time for them to change their minds...and if not, possibly change policy for future IMAX releases.

7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    We are getting it in Pittsburgh. We would be honored if you would join us.

8. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    DETROIT ROCK CITY!!! I ALWAYS WANTED TO GO SEE EMINEM'S HOMETOWN!!! (It doesn't hurt that there are other things to see there too ;)) DETROIT WHAT? DETROIT WHAT? DETROIT BABY... YEAH!

9. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Come to Pittsburgh!

10. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    GLSC will never get it. There is a fundamental difference in the construction of the theatres between IMAX and OMNIMAX.

IMAX is a big flat screen i.e.: Fantasia 2000 was shown on one of these, the old Cedar Point theater was an IMAX. OMNIMAX, now known as IMAX Dome Theatre, is projected from the middle of the house up and out onto a dome screen, giving a sense of being in the shot.

GLSC has OMNIMAX, AOTC is being released in IMAX. The film and the projectors are the same. They just use different principles in shooting the separate formats.

Keep this in mind while we're looking for theatres nearby that may not list it.

-b-

11. Darth-Zod

Darth-Zod Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    "... , the old Cedar Point theater was an IMAX."

What do you mean by the old CP theater? They still have their IMAX screen. Maybe we should call them and demand it for the 2003 season.

12. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    My g/f mentioned something about them taking it out. So I just called her. CP's IMAX is now an ice arena. They are showing "snoopy rocks on Ice" though, so if everyone wanted to go catch that.... ;)

-b-

13. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    The Pittsburgh Science Center has an Omnimax (domed) screen and they are still getting it.

14. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    GLSC contact info

If it'll help. There is also an email:

info@glsc.org

Personally, I favor going to Pittsburgh, if we go see this. I've been to Dearborn, Michigan and it's not exactly a nice place to visit.

15. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Are you sure Pittsburgh has it. If not Detriot is not that bad. Plus the Red Wings (Fedorov) is there. :D :D

16. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    Just in case any of you would like to see the info that's available at Henry Ford Museum Greenfield Village on AOTC in IMAX...there ya go.

As to where Dearborn is in relation to Detroit... this should help and so should this. :)

17. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    I've been to The Henry Ford Museum, and I think that is enough for me. (Bad memories... really bad memories.... [face_plain])

Besides, Pittsburgh is closer (Detroit is like 4 hours or so), and I like Pittsburgh, we used to drive though it all the time going to band competitions.... ( :_|)

18. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Pittsburgh is closer then Detriot but it depends on when we all want to go. In the morning or afternoon... If we can go early we could be back in Cleveland in no time. (Plus the Penguins are there :D )

19. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Thanks TheHuntressDiana for the links (and for watching things while I was away) the information on where and when these IMAX screens are showing is very helpful.

Although, I think if we make a trip to see IMAX...Pittsburgh will be the better option. It's closer, and you CAN go there and back in one day; but we'll need to coordinate our travel arrangments very well.

I copied this from the Pittburgh Omnimax website:

Coming to Rangos Omnimax Theater
    November 1 through December 31, 2002

I bring this up, because we already have ALOT of things going on this month:

Nov 2 TXB "Conspiracy"
    Nov 16 DVD release party
    Nov 29-Dec 1 is Thanksgiving Weekend (everyone has plans of their own)
    Nov 30 Mid-Ohio Con (if anyone is going to that)

I kinda like the weekend of Nov 23-24, a nice way to do something together...before the Thanksgiving holiday? Comments?

20. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    I'm free that weekend as far as I know. I have to check with my mom though, she could sign up for a craft show today for that weekend without my knowing.

Oh, and we should make sure that we carpool, when everyone from RoP went to the game, we were saying that we should have figured out a way that we could have carpooled, so we all weren't driving.

21. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    We've got plenty of time to plan a trip over to Pittsburgh to see IMAX AOTC. There is room for 1-2 people (depending on Amy) in my car. Gas money is always appreciated ;)

22. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Keep in mind that the premiere in Pittsburgh is Nov 1st and 2nd, so that would be the best time to come. I see that you have an event on the 2nd however, and I'm sure that some of our fan force members would definately meet up with you guys to see the IMAX version again at a later date.

23. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Don't worry, I was planning on contacting your CR and arrange to meet up with some of you guys (while we were in Pittsburgh). We've gotten together with groups from Columbus and Detroit...and had a blast with them, looking forward to meeting you.

I'll be in contact with your CR, as we get closer to finalizing a trip. I'll bring my Penguins jersey and "terrible towel" for the occasion (yes, I grew up both a Browns and Steelers fan)

24. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    "Steelers fans."

*sigh. goes BMF on Krash and Pittsburgh*

[|BMF|o]======================================

Looks like we need a new CR... someone who's a true Clevelander

25. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Geoff, take it in stride... I'm j/k... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.