IMAX Clones

Discussion in 'Salt Lake City, UT' started by Thrawns_Avenger, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawns_Avenger Jedi Padawan

Does anyone know when the Digtial version of AOTC will hit Utah? I'm pretty sure Jordon Commons has an IMAX screen, and I think there are one or two more. Thanks.
  2. merlin Force Ghost

star 4
    [color=663300]The Digital version of AOTC will NOT hit Utah. It take a LOT more than a big screen to play it. In fact, there's no reason a digital version can't be played on a normal screen, because it is for the most part. For one of our theaters to carry the digital version of AOTC, it would include bearing the huge Cost of buying a Digital Projector and I don't think anyone in Utah is ready to do that yet. When they do, AOTC will not be in the theaters. :([/color]
  3. allenj456 Jedi Knight

star 2
    also the actually film stock used to shoot an imax film is a different aspect ratio than your average 35mm print. Since Ep II was shot digitally it could be transfered to imax film stok but it probably wasnt shot with that in mind...dont hold your breat on that one...closest digi theater is in Vegas somewhere.
  4. Handyman Jedi Master

star 4
    Greetings Guys,

As Allen alluded to, for a film to TRULY be IMAX certified, the print must be in 70mm format and have a 4:3 aspect ratio. However, many IMAX theaters have shown special WIDESCREEN 70mm prints of non-IMAX films. Even Jordan Commons has shown widescreen versions of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "The Matrix" on it's IMAX Super Screen. These special 70mm prints come close to the visual clarity of Digital but will still have artifacts and wear on the print.

Lucasfilm IS planning an actual IMAX release of AOTC. Yes, that means it will be converted from it's original 2.35:1 widescreen to a FULL FRAME 4:3 aspect. You can read a news story on TFN about it HERE. You won't want to miss this IMAX release for the visual clarity alone. However, it is rumored that there may actually be extra scenes in the IMAX release. ;)

Look for the IMAX version of AOTC in US theaters around Labor Day. The Super Screen at Jordan Commons SHOULD be screening it.

BTW, I've now seen AOTC 3 times in DIGITAL and it absolutely ROCKS! :cool:

EDIT: Fixed typos.

Later,
  5. merlin Force Ghost

star 4
    [color=663300]As far as I know, the Jordon Commons can't play brand name IMAX films. Cuz it would be an IMAX theater. I may be wrong, but I assume it's the case. In either case, there still won't be a DIGITAL viewing anywhere in utah. [/color]
  6. Handyman Jedi Master

star 4
    Greetings Merlin,

Merlin wrote...
    > Jordon Commons can't play brand name IMAX films

Hmmm.... That's strange. I've seen several IMAX films there on the SuperScreen. It appears that the "Cricket Super Screen" at Jordan Commons has lost it's IMAX status. It USED to be listed on http://www.imax.com. Can anyone shed any light one this?

> there still won't be a DIGITAL viewing anywhere in utah

You're correct on that one. As you mentioned earlier, no theater owner in Utah is willing to pay the upgrade costs just yet. With all of the equipment required and installation fees, the cost is around $500,000.

I'm sure that by the time Episode III rolls around, Utah will have some theater that is digitally equiped. ;)

Later,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.