main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC IMDb for Hollywood/Celebrity/Famous sexual predators

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Oct 30, 2017.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think anyone has judged anyone else for choosing to consume certain art, though, it's always mentioned as a personal choice.

But apparently people have a problem with that personal choice, despite it hurting literally no one and being of no concern to anyone.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The general notion that an individual choice, applied widely, might be harmful isn't really radical. There is a whole plethora of example, and they collectively make a firm foundation for someone wanting to persuade people to make different choices.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Thanks, Jabba.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You are welcome, Dan Nasuk.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    ITT Egg Shen has the best advice on how to watch any form of entertainment.

I’ll be consuming entertainment the way I always have, although I did quit watching any Cosby Show reruns.

I think Trevor Noah is right though. The next Academy Awards need a special Oscar category for actors and producers who have never been accused of sexual misconduct.

6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think it's an interesting discussion. The merits of art, offset against a misogyny-riddled industry. I don't think anybody needs to be chastised for their personal choice - none of us is a sex offender under discussion. I understand if Al and Guy and Rogue wonder that if someone is that principled in choosing what to watch, how do they apply those principles elsewhere? It's a reasonable question. Because we all know that future generations will be critical of us, too. Nobody's a saint.

We could talk about our dependence on oil. Or food. Or cheap foreign labour. But now it's art/entertainment, offset against sexual abuse. And to me, that's one of the easiest things to take a moral stance towards, because I'm already pretty bummed out on the entertainment industry. I don't think we need it. I know this is not the right podium for it, because judging from front page topics people love entertainment here. But this is my home, so I'll say it here anyway. Films and TV series are modern opiate for the masses. I think it's ready for a change, as I am.

The rest, I'm still working on.

7. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't believe art can be separated from the artist. Half of my family are artists, and their art is an expression of their personalities, good and bad. When you consume art, you're spending time with the person who produced it. The only relevant question is, which flaws in a person are a dealbreaker for you, personally?

KnightWriter likes this.
  8. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

This has always been my view of Woody Allen.

I know quite a few people who crown the man as a genius auteur whose work will resonate with the times for generations and for this reason we should be less concerned with his personal life.

I can't help it find that his concept of 'humour' in his romantic comedies as coming off as awkward rather than 'off-beat' or 'quirky'. Would my reaction to his work be more passive without knowing about his personal life? Of course. But, I just find some of the affection that is portrayed between the protagonists in his films, especially when the man himself features so prominently in his work.

Frankly, his comedies play out more like psychotherapy sessions for the world to observe more than they are stories to become engrossed in because of their supposed endearing quality.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, people seemed to be perfectly happy to forget the child molestation accusations (and trials) of Michael Jackson after his death.

10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    My first album was Thriller. I threw it out

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I still listen to his stuff occasionally for reasons of nostalgia, but an album like HIStory almost proves my point. It's hard to listen to that album without feeling like you're participating in the delusions of a disturbed individual. Its main appeal is in being a freak show.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven’t thrown out Thriller but I won’t listen to anything after Bad, except for Smooth Criminal.

To be fair, Taylor Swift’s newest stuff is really creepy, although I’m not anticipating similar allegations against her as it’s creepy for different reasons.

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've learned a bit of sympathy for Jackson, the guy is kinda tragic when you think about him. Well, other than the molestation.

First, clearly a tremendous talent who brought a lot of joy to the world, a major innovator and a near inescapable influence. He was able to bring people of different background and race together to a significant extent. He also did a great deal of charity work and donated huge amounts of money all over the world.

Well, apparently he was pretty badly abused by his father as a child. Some of the stories told by him and his siblings, and not really denied by his parents, are pretty messed up, and you can see them having a severe effect on him psychologically. On top of that, I think there are stories about him being abused by people in the entertainment business, and there's one story he related himself where a young woman tried to have sex with him when he was well underage. I think he said he just covered his face with his hands until she stopped.

The guy's face. How much do you have to hate your own face to do that to yourself? Everyone ridiculed him for it, which certainly just made it worse.

He apparently had some serious body issues, including eating disorders. He starved himself to the point of fainting, exhaustion and delirium. Again, seems like some depression and self-loathing.

The whole Peter Pan thing. How messed up does one (or one's life) have to be to retreat from reality like that?

The idea that maybe his childhood abuse led him to abuse children in turn. I don't think anything has been proven, but who knows how many kids he got to.

Drug addiction and shady medical malpractice led to his early death at age 50. A pathetic end to a troubled life.

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Swift seems to suffer mostly because she's not behaving the way fans want her to, and we can't stop projecting our wants and needs onto celebs.

15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    She doesn't belong in this thread....yet.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    To be clear, I do not consider myself some kind of folk hero, nor do I enjoy being inserted into the narrative. Because it’s not my story.

Follow Megan Koester on Twitter.

18. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

To be fair, Jackson was criminally charged in two separate incidents and found not guilty both times. Hdence why Disney brought back Captain EO as a tribute/throwback after his death.

Unlike Bill Cosby, who was being inundated by allegations from over 50 different women, at which point, Disney quietly removed his bust from the "Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame" display at the Hollywood Studios Park.
    [​IMG]

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Actually IIRC, Jackson was never charged criminally with the first accusation, as the accuser and family dropped their allegations.

20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Dang. That treatment is supposed to be reserved for pedophile artists? Now I feel bad for not watching The Force Awakens until it was available at the library...

21. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    ArtooDion: That's a compelling question and honestly, for me, there is no deal-breaker. I've watched every Polanski and Allen film, even though both directors committed the most heinous crime of all: child molestation. Their evil did not interfere with my viewing experiences--what's more, last decade's Ghost Writer and Match Point are among my favorite movies of all time.

On the other hand, I have visceral reactions to immoral art. I could only stomach half an hour of Birth of a Nation on TCM before turning the channel in disgust; moreover, as a student of the Indochina War, I find myself repulsed by heinous war fantasies like the John Wayne Vietnam travesty The Green Berets or Rambo: First Blood Part II.

22. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Yet another reason to love Gal Godot: she‘s told producers that she won’t sign up for further Wonder Woman movies unless they fire Ratner.

23. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    That's an interesting question. Do we dismiss anything said by an immoral person, however poignant it may be, because of his hypocrisy? In your examples, they are just works of fiction and entertainment, but what if they were political activists etc? Certainly, the easiest way to silence whistleblowers or critics for any government, however truthful the revelations may be, is to leak footage of the guy jerking off in front of his webcam and everything the guy said is instantly nullified in the public consciousness.

It's also an interesting question whether we are condoning or supporting heinous acts or beliefs by watching or reading works that defend such positions, versus works that don't have anything to do with such positions, but are made by people who hold them. It's funny that I don't feel that I am supporting such beliefs by watching the latter, but I may feel that way if I watch the former, even though you can argue that I am supporting it in both cases, and you can also argue in both cases that my viewing is divorced from approval and disapproval. To make an oft-cited go-to example, I may for instance read Mein Kampf out of morbid curiosity, but that doesn't mean that I support nazism. However, does the very act of me borrowing that book from the library contribute to validating nazi ideology?

24. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000

25. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    What are the other reasons for loving her? :confused: