main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC IMDb for Hollywood/Celebrity/Famous sexual predators

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Oct 30, 2017.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I think a more responsible journalist/media outlet would have printed the story without naming names. The article could then have been the basis for a healthy, productive discussion. Instead they went for the publicity bump of „outing“ an award winning celebrity.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  3. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    In the Law Courts there are differences/scales of criminal offending and subsequent sentencing so the distinctions exist whether anyone likes it or not.

Iron_lord and VadersLaMent like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Maher is right. We should be able to say that none of it is OK and one is worse than another. And no woman in her right mind, if forced to choose, is going to choose rape over being shown a **** against her will.

5. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    To be blunt, I think the #metoo movement isn't very well served by having McGowan and Milano as two of their most vocal spokespersons. Let's be honest, neither has the most impeccable reputation, nor is someone who would blind you with their intellect. I applaud them both for their courage in coming forward and being vocal, but to say there's no difference between a pat on the butt and being raped, from the perspective of both the victim or the perpetrator, is ridiculous. Varying degrees of guilt and wrongdoing are a central part of most or all criminal justice systems.

It doesn't matter much to the victim of a homicide if the person who killed him did so in 1st degree murder or negligent homicide, but we still don't punish them the same. And I hardly think th victim of harassment carries anywhere near the same scars as someone who was raped.

That doesn't mean the victim of harassment doesn't suffer, or the perpetrator shouldn't be punished. And the offenses certainly come from the same background and are part of the same conversation.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Master_Rebado likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Um, I don't see how Milano's and McGowan's previous reputations could possibly factor into this?

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    And IIRC one of if not THE best way to handle the latter encounter is to snigger and mention how small it is.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Nothing in terms of the veracity of their accounts of what they've endured. But a significant role in terms of their effectiveness as spokespersons.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I think they're doing fine. Ashley Judd is also another great spokesperson for the movement.

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Their reputations may well be part of the Weinstein propaganda machine, same as Sirvano was put through to discredit her. Unless you have first hand knowledge, I’d be wary of buying into it.

11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    just read the article on aziz

firstly:

After arriving at his apartment in Manhattan on Monday evening, they exchanged small talk and drank wine. “It was white,” she said. “I didn’t get to choose and I prefer red, but it was white wine.”

lol. this is obviously a very important detail as to Aziz's sinister attitude.

there's a lot in that article and discussion itt about her being clear that she was uncomfortable, and that he should have read her signals better. i thought i'd break the signals down into two groups - i'm interested in sex signals and i'm uncomfortable signals, that were both clearly communicated to him (i'm ignoring the stuff in the article where she's simply discussing what she felt at the time - 'the abruptness' of leaving the restaurant with wine left, for example; and only including signals leading up to the mirror incident, which is where she does then say 'no' and they return to the couch and dress - albeit he tries it on a bit again after that).

uncomfortable signals clearly highlighted to him:

when he goes to get a condom, she says to him 'let's relax for a sec, let's chill'
    moving her hand away from his penis on a number of occasions
    30 minutes of moving around the apartment while he followed her (?)
    pulling away and mumbling
    stopped moving lips and going cold
    saying 'next time' when asked where she wanted to be ****ed
    saying “I said I don’t want to feel forced because then I’ll hate you, and I’d rather not hate you,”
    saying 'I'm not ready to do this' in front of the mirror, where they then stop and put clothes back on.

interested in sex signals clearly highlighted to him:

going back to his apartment on the first date
    hopping up on top of his marble countertop
    allowing herself to be kissed, touched on the breast, undressed and for him to undress himself
    allowing him to perform oral sex on her
    allowing him to put his fingers in her mouth and vagina
    going down on him when he pointed to his penis
    continuing to make out with him on the couch

i would say it's definitely mixed signals from that. the move from being naked, making out, performing oral sex, to actual penetrative sex isn't necessarily a giant leap - its not like this shocking revelation that when receiving a blowjob, a guy would also desire penetrative sex. he gave no indication of trapping her against her will in this apartment. I'm not sure why it's shocking that someone may want to have sex with you when you're sitting on a countertop, and allowing yourself to be undressed, kissed, groped, and having oral sex performed on you. it was obvious he wanted sex, he made that clear. if she didn't, she could have just said 'actually, i don't want to do this. i feel uncomfortable. i'm going call a cab'. hanging around naked, and continuing to perform sexual activity when you know you don't want to have sex and you know the guy does, is risking sending a mixed message.

aziz was being a dick. thinking with his dick. he actively pursued sex and ignored her uncomfortable signals. but she still actively gave off some positive ones too, and could have stopped it all at any point. i don't think it's sexual assault personally. it does highlight the minefield of sexual relations with people you don't know very well though.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    How do we know though that she wasn't afraid that he would get violent, that he would harm her? Just because she hasn't said so in her story, doesn't necessarily mean that wasn't going through her mind during this encounter. I've had a date or two where the guy made uncomfortable advances, and while he did ultimately back off when I said I wasn't comfortable, the thought of him possibly not caring and being violent crossed my mind in the midst of it.

MrZAP likes this.
  13. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    i guess we don't know that. but neither would Aziz, either.

if you don't know how someone will react to saying 'no', and are therefore afraid to say it, you're putting yourself in a potentially very dangerous situation. and it also means you don't know the person well enough, and probably shouldn't be in his apartment in the first place if you don't want sex.

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  15. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    This is going to come off insensitive, but have you seen Aziz Ansari? He is both short and thin as a stick figure drawing. I find it difficult to imagine anyone being intimidated by his physical presence. You could argue that he has professional power over her if she worked for him. I'd even accept it if they were colleagues due to him having seniority over her. But that wasn't the case here.

Edit, apparently Vivec made the same point in a much funnier way.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  16. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    And then they might pull out a knife/start beating on you. People might understandably not want to risk that kind of thing. People have said multiple times that they've felt pressured into things they didn't want to do because they were afraid of being put into danger if they didn't comply. This happens. All the time.

I don't understand the disconnect here. You don't have to be penetrated to be traumatized. Someone doesn't have to forcefully have sex with you to cause significant psychological harm. And @Violent Violet Menace, someone doesn't have to appear physically intimidating to you every day to feel potentially dangerous in the moment.

And this is straight up victim blaming.

Adam of Nuchtern and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Non-verbal communication, especially between strangers, can be fraught. It's simultaneously a big part of how we understand events and very culturally dependent, thus subject to our individual biases and misconceptions. It's very possible, in consequence, for someone to see threatening behavior even where none exists, or it doesn't seem logical that any threat could be carried out. That's even more the case if a person has been primed to view the other as in some way threatening because of a feature or mannerism of theirs.

This route, though, has implications that should trouble us in several directions.

18. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    well, no, because i don't think she's a victim. i made that pretty clear in my other post.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  20. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Padme had spoken.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  22. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    The app is flawed as consent can be withdrawn.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m not sure why people don’t just have conversations instead of relying on an app.

Either there is far more mind-game-playing going on with dating in this generation or there is just far more mind-game-playing than I remember, period.

And yes, I believe consent can be withdrawn at any point, and I’m not going to get into a debate of whether she was a victim or not, it just looks to me like problems could have been solved on both sides by people using their words.

As far as the opening of the article with the wine comment—I prefer red wine myself but the comment was dumb. If you’re at someone else’s house and they offer white wine, it’s rude as hell to say “Do you have any red?”

solojones likes this.
  24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    And you know, say I Bill Cosby you, JJB, get access to your phone and say you give consent. The whole app is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    But don't you see. By giving her white, making that choice for her, and the fact she didn't feel comfortable saying anything about it shows he was already domineering and in control. Or something.

25. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Does it even have any effect on Trump?

Master_Rebado likes this.