main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC IMDb for Hollywood/Celebrity/Famous sexual predators

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Oct 30, 2017.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    We don't know, but it seems extremely unlikely given that she has taken pains to detail what she was feeling throughout the date. Why would she leave out something so fundamental?

When solojones told us of her ordeal she made sure we understood that she was afraid because that was an important factor in us understanding her story. The woman from the article didn't; in fact a lot of her story seems to be her working her way through exactly why she simply didn't do something to change the trajectory of the date. I don't think she really knows.

As someone who has suffered from anxiety issues all my life I have always tended to be easily pushed into things I did not want, often for no other reason than I tend to go into deer-in-headlights mode when faced with something unexpected, leaving me vulnerable to anyone with a strong personality. I have often been left feeling anger at people who have taken advantage of this to get what they want at my expense. However, though you could call me a victim in these (rather minor) situations, that doesn't necessarily make the more dominant party the bad guy; yes they benefited from their actions while I was left feeling frustrated and upset once I had had time to reflect on things, but generally they were just a bit selfish and inconsiderate, not deliberately nasty or unfair.

I do feel sorry for the young lady - at the end of the day she was in tears while Aziz got his rocks off; more than that, Aziz comes off as a total nozzle. I don't believe she was scared or intimidated, however, just bewildered by the speed at which he moved and the difference between what she had thought was going to happen and what actually unfolded.

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    @epic I was really proud of not having read the article, but you made me look it up and read it. Thanks. I wasted a good ten minutes of my life.

Well, everything and too much has been said about this, but I'd just like to point out that the woman flirted with the man and gave him her phone number while on a date.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I can understand the other side that Bill Maher was arguing against. There's this momentum right now, a movement...and it just seems a tedious momentum killer to get bogged down with obvious facts like rape is worse than a penis flash or a shoulder massage. There's this whole thing going on, and men are going "oh, but wait, touching a woman's ass without her consent is not the same as rape!" Thanks, Sherlock. It comes off as concern trolling.

This isn't a court of law, and like none of these guys are being charged with crimes. Regardless of whether it's just "minor" sexual harassment or straight up rape, they're both unacceptable in the work place.

So, no, I don't really care to hear your little points of fact. It reminds me of when the JCF came up with the sexism policy and people came out of the woodwork to let us known that "men, too".

4. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    This literally has nothing to do with the situation at hand.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  5. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    No. But the one my heart goes out to is that date.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I mean, yes the app is clearly flawed, but people aren't making an app for ****s and giggles. There's a reason someone made it: because men clearly feel that there is some danger now when they have a hook-up. Yes, yes, I know I'm about to be killed for making something that sounds like an MRA talking point, but lets hear me out there. The fact that men feel like there needs to be some kind of written record is because of the very thing that's happened to Aziz right now: That a woman who had a bad sexual experience will claim it's assault. Obviously false rape accusations are very small compared to the amount of rapes that actually happen, but thanks to a third rate hack site like babe (something even Jezebel is criticizing right now), it's getting publicity. And we're all getting to sit and comb through one person's account of a night of sexual intercourse to guess at what was obvious body language, etc. Just look at us. Jesus Christ.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't think we can appeal to an "App's" mere existence. It speaks to being pretty deeply steeped in the technology sector, which has also been one of the more retrograde. Its professions have a not coincidental intersection with "Men's Rights Activists," libertarians, and others. If it proves widely popular, I think we can have another discussion. But as it is we could just be looking at a pretty narrow group responding to its own fears.

In the same sense, one could cite increasing gun sales after the Newtown shooting to complain how inappropriate President Obama was being in scaring people about taking away their guns.

MrZAP likes this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    @Lord Vivec

The app wasn’t made for ***** and giggles, agreed. It was made to make money. I think you’re applying altruism to somewhere it doesn’t exist.

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Oh if you know anything about me you know I don't believe there's any 'altruism' when it comes to companies and products. But I do believe things are made because someone sees there's a way to make money from it: meaning there's a perceived need for it. And the reason there's a perceived need for it is because of the JCC: a bunch of sexless nerds on an internet forum overanalzying body language while at the same time going "hey they can just used body language."

Jester J Binks likes this.
  10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Again, does the perceived need to go out and buy 6,000 guns after a mass shooting during the Obama Presidency justify that fear as a rational? Is any group's perception automatically correct if they act on it?

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Just wanted to point out a falsity here. While yes MRAs might be more interested in technology and sites like Reddit, the actual tech sector is extremely liberal. Like all of NorCal.

12. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
  13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Vivec isn't applying altruism, he said there was a market for it. If there's a market for it, of course someone's going to try to make money off it. The app exists because there is a market for it. (EDIT: Sorry for the redundancy, just saw that Vivec already responded.)

We're kinda nitpicking him here. The idea behind the app is nothing new. People have been joking (perhaps as a cover for their anxiety) that men need to get consent in written form for years now. The legal contract joke has been around for a long time, Chappelle did one on his show over ten years ago, and it was around long before that.

Men may feel a certain amount of fear here, worried that a deeply personal/private moment of their life (even a mistake or behavior they regret) will be put on display, and their life might be destroyed (job loss, ostracism) before they even get a chance to tell their side.

The revolution will not be civilized?

Not sure how I feel about it. I'm not that concerned. Caution is a good thing. Thinking about a thing is a good thing. Awareness is a good thing. Maybe there's something to the idea @KnightWriter mentioned about men having to think about this more than they did before. There seems to be some nerves involved.

This is all part of the process of cultural change, I think.

While fear of quick and vicious internet mob justice seems pretty rational, the chances of it do seem overblown to me. These people are getting outed because they're celebrities. It seems much less likely if you're a common, private person.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, but just because someone chose acting as a profession doesn't mean they agreed to give up their privacy.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    In my orientation group for my new job, there was this one guy, 4-5 years younger than me, married, who would make some rather creepy/sexist remarks to two female co-workers in the same group. He's no longer at the job, skipped one too many days, but what made this really unpleasant in retrospect was that this guy came off as very friendly to me and invited me to hang out with him and that group of friends. I got to be, and still am, good friends with the two women in that sub-group, and I didn't know about any of this until he had already been fired.

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Is it?
    Yes, they make a lot of noise about supporting putatively "liberal" social causes. However, that's not quite the same thing as substantive engagement with gender equity. The Google "I'm not sexist but have you ever thought all women are born inferior at STEM?" memo required a certain workplace culture to produce and publish with one's named attached. In the vast majority of workplaces in America, people probably would not circulate a memo like that through the whole company and expect a positive outcome. And indeed, there was no real reaction until the piece had been public knowledge for several weeks and triggered a number outraged think pieces. The pretty uniform composition of their leadership also suggests that some of their ideals may be more aspirational than practiced.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The guy who wrote that memo got fired and is now suing Google for discriminating against conservative white men.

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I realize. But he got fired after weeks of public outrage. Outrage triggered by the fact that the initial response was. . .nothing at all. The author correctly anticipated that, if it made a few people unhappy, the memo would be basically viewed as acceptable within his workplace culture.

MrZAP likes this.
  19. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Wut?

This is the opening of the memo:

Bold mine.

He knew what he was saying was controversial and risky. Hell, you might say he made the memo because of that.

The "workplace culture" he was railing against was one of liberal diversity or whatever you want to call it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I heard that on NPR last week, and it made my blood boil.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Silicon Valley has a reputation for a bro-y, misogynist culture and white men are heavily overrepresented among the upper levels. While they may be more likely to gravitate toward trendy stuff like drinking water filled with bacteria and parasites, I don't see a meaningful difference between the corporations and those of any other given industry.

KnightWriter and MrZAP like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Railing against a workplace culture that said, “The world is changing and you white men can no longer assume that you are the default brainy hero, that people of color are stupid, and that women are sweet and demure and exist to bring you coffee.”

Such a hostile, antagonistic workplace.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    As someone who utilizes 'tl;dr' a lot in my posting, I'd just like to say that the memo-guy has no idea what he's doing. His tl;dr is eleven lines. What an idiot. A tl;dr should never be over two.

24. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Literally as long as the main body.:oops:

25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Nitpicking me is a JCC passtime.