main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC IMDb for Hollywood/Celebrity/Famous sexual predators

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Who is the woman that spent time "destroying the careers" of at least 7 people? That would seem to be just as pertinent a question.

solojones and Darth_Duck like this.
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    There is a thing about picking your battles, you know. The allegations of assault are probably the most pressing thing to dispute.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Or he knows she does have proof of the other abuses in the form of emails, texts and voicemails, but wouldn’t have any proof of the sexual assault.

And if he’s going to pick battles, having who broke up with who as one of the two seems particularly stupid, if he is innocent of it all.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  4. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't really see how that applies. In fact, if you could discredit someone's claims about the general relationship, that would likely erode their credibility of the more legally jeopardizing claims.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I was wondering about her, too. I assume no with obvious, public links or she would have been mentioned somewhere.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The woman in Dykstra's account of blacklisting her after is rumored to be Michele Morrow.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I know a bit about Hardwick from the Nerdist podcast. The thing on the list that doesn't sit is the alcohol. He's a reformed alcoholic, not drinking around him when he's trying to stay sober is actually fine, so people making out like he was some sort of weirdo about it miss the point.

The rest of it? He just married into the Hearsts, and seems not to have those issues. He's talked about insecurities and being a dick in the past. I believe her, I just don't know if that's Hardwick now. Note: He gets no pass for this, I'm just observing.

The real tragedy, beyond what she's claimed to have gone through, is that she didn't feel she could raise these allegations until 4 years after the fact. Like it's pretty messed up that 4 years ago we'd default to disbelief.

EDIT: I also unsubscribed to ID10T, his post-nerdist podcast. I'm waiting to heat what Wil Wheaton says too.

TX-20, solojones, MrZAP and 1 other person like this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I've heard him talk about being sober on the Nerdist podcast, though I also heard him talk about other people drinking around him like it was no big deal at one point.

She brought up one version of her "cheating" on him, so I reckon it's fair for him to engage with that part of the story

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Actually,

it's not fine. It doesn't make him sound like a "weirdo", it's consistent with the controlling psychopathy related in the rest of the story. Not all reformed alcoholics think they can command people like this. A non-psychopath would say "I can't be around anyone who drinks" and might add "so if you don't want to stop, we can't be together" and leave it at that.

I don't know who this guy is and I don't care, and I certainly don't give a **** who he married.

While you say you believe her, Hardwick pretty much called her a liar, denying that anything she said has any substance. He tries to downplay her entire story, suggesting the worst between them was shouts and arguments within reason. If you believe her, then you have to believe he's lying about his past.

Pretty sure no one would describe her story as their best, so he's implicitly denying that any of it happened.

I'm not sure why you unsubscribed when that's never been your stance in the past (pretty sure you've been firmly on the side of divorcing art from artist), your entire post is reformatory toward him, and you're apparently waiting for Wil Wheaton for some sort of confirmation. Seems like an action taken out of guilt.

MrZAP and Diggy like this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Not really, In the context of Viv and I’s exchange. She accused him of multiple terrible things. How and why they broke up is extremely far down that list.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes I imagine if you have no context then absolutely you could draw such a silly conclusion, fuelled by self-righteousness and all that. Such as "of the list the one that I find the least confronting is the alcohol one because I've heard so many times about his sobriety", being something other than what it is. But you know, you're Very Angry about people you'd never even heard of having this kind of interaction so why would facts change a conclusion you've arrived at?

Some pointers for you, because I know the JC has that tendency towards an instant expertise which renders any facts pointless. You would do well to ignore them, they're only inconvenient to your position:

1. It's difficult to process when Hardwick has for years and years now put out 2-3 podcasts a week, at 90mins roughly each, portraying himself as a person he is clearly not.
    2. I believe her, and I'm personally let down by him
    3. As such, it makes sense to unsubscribe because Hardwick has engaged in active deceit about who and what he is (which Dykstra covers in the essay).

And again, I'm really sorry to introduce other facts to an echo chamber of people who've never heard of Hardwick but are here to speak about him with brand new expertise, but the reason I want to see what Wil Wheaton said was this:

It's not that I'm going to be influenced by Wheaton, it's that if I can be disappointed by someone I thought I roughly understood as taking a stance of not mistreating women being an active liar and hypocrite, how would his best friend feel? I'm not feeling sorry for Hardwick, I'm expressing empathy with people he's similarly manipulated into believing a complete fabrication. Which, when you consider she wrote the piece for a) closure and b) as a warning, is the point of her essay.

And I'm also hoping, given he married someone similarly younger than him (Lydia Hearst, of roughly an age with Chloe Dykstra - i.e. a "type"), that he's not that person anymore because, oh I don't know, maybe you don't want that behaviour to continue. You don't want to believe he's a good guy, the evidence says he's a complete ****. You just want to believe nobody else is getting hurt for it.

But by all means keep shooting from the hip, CT.

TX-20, solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't know Hardwick and don't have a dog in this fight. But I do think CT made a valid observation about his alcohol preferences. I know several teetotalers, who came to it by a number of different routes. Some by personal/ethical conviction, some after personal struggles with alcoholism, some because of chronic health conditions. I've heard them express that preference a lot of different ways. What that woman described in her post still seemed unusual to me. He was very fair to point that out.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    He should get after Felicia Day, too, because this is so reformatory:

Also for the 3 people who know the personalities involved, Matt Mira says:

Matt Mira (@MattMira) Tweeted:
    This is as good as it can be said. https://t.co/78F5pVDdYY

14. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    You point this out as if I'm not criticizing your very clear bias in favor of him that causes this to be "difficult to process", filling you with doubts, resulting in you making reformatory comments about him based on that doubt.

You said you believe her, yet you also "just don't know" if that's Hardwick now, even though he's called her a liar. These two things cannot co-exist. You cannot believe her and also be unsure about Hardwick even as he denies her story. If you believe her, that means you have to believe Hardwick is lying right now, which means he's still the bad guy she says he is. If you're unsure about who Hardwick is now, you don't actually believe her.

Wtf are you talking about with echo chambers? What echo chamber? Who are these "people" who have never heard of Hardwick but are here to speak about him? Pretty sure it's just me, and I'm pretty sure my comment was not an echo of anything anyone has said in this thread. But go ahead and rave about echo chambers, hoping it will deflect attention from you.

I've said nothing about him that isn't based on her story or what he's actually said in his own defense recently.

You don't see how all these benefits of the doubt are actually quite reformatory? You want to believe in him so badly, you're already engaging in character reclamation.

Yeah, look at the difference between these posts and yours. "Feelings", but nothing about how his behavior concerning alcohol was "actually fine", nothing about who he's married to now as some sort of character witness, or doubts about who he is now. Now = reform.

MrZAP and KnightWriter like this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK so based on the Nerdist you listened to, how would you categorise his actions re: alcohol - as relayed by himself vs as relayed by Dykstra?

Also good job ignoring how the point about "him now" was because he has a near-identical "type" in the form of his wife who I basically said I hope isn't subjected to the same crap.

Amazing post. No wonder the human equivalent of an unshakeable cold liked it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  16. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    no idea who this guy is but I agree that you can’t just tell someone they’re not drinking any more because you’re a reformed alcoholic. **** that.

17. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I literally don't give a **** what he said anywhere about anything.

This:

Is not ******* fine, it's a psychotic thing to say to someone. It's incredibly aggressive and controlling. Agree or disagree? If you've got a ******* point to make about whatever he's said, and about how this is "actually fine", then make it. If one of these "facts" I'm missing is about how Hardwick admitted to being a controlling psychopath about his alcoholism and how you think this is "actually fine", then say so.

I'm guessing your point is that his account and hers are actually consistent, but that doesn't make it "actually fine".

This is how you characterized it in your first post, which was the main thing I objected to.

It's not about not drinking around him when he's trying to stay sober, that's not a problem. The problem was when he skipped over the entire idea of her consent and told her that it was going to stop. Didn't ask, told. Skipping over someone's consent is not "actually fine", it's what rapists do. It's what controlling psychopaths do. Oh, hey, the rest of her account portrays him as a controlling psychopath who sexually assaulted her. There may be some connection. Sounds like you missed her point.

There are many ways for recovering alcoholics to make their issue clear while still giving the other person a choice. Making the choice for them is not actually fine, it is a gigantic red flag. Since she wrote the article as a warning to others, guess what, that's a warning sign. If someone decides for you that your drinking is going to stop, run away, you're on a date with Ike Turner.

Tell me again how this "thing on the list" of psychopathic behavior "doesn't sit" as actually psychopathic behavior? Tell me again how it's "actually fine". No, being a recovering alcoholic doesn't mean you get to decide that someone drinking a glass of wine is going to stop. You get to ask. If they don't comply, then you get to walk away from the relationship.

The way he was quoted wouldn't just make him a "weirdo", it would make him a psycho. Do you have anything to say about this, or are you going to keep avoiding the point in favor of trotting out your vast personal knowledge of Hardwick to set the record straight while also pretending you're not defending him?

I mean, you did manage to find one point on a list of completely crazy behavior in a story full of completely crazy behavior that you could take issue with and empathize with Hardwick over and claim "people" (not Dykstra, who chose to include it in her story as a warning) were missing the point, dismissing "people" (ie, Dykstra) so you could score a point in Hardwick's defense. Go ahead, tell me how it wasn't a defense. I'll point you right back to the words, "actually fine".

The rest of the list? Let me cast it aside by pointing out that he's married to a Hearst now, and seems to not have those issues. Seems. Seems fine. Let me bring up the fact that he's talked about his past, and then contrast his past by saying I just don't know if that's Hardwick now, if that's him anymore. And, somehow, this isn't reforming his character even though I'm contrasting his past bad behavior with the present, suggesting he's a changed man.

It doesn't track at all with your original post. You said nothing about your concern for her. I think it's spinning, just like your use of the typical idiotic conservative deflection about "echo chambers", which you grasped out of thin air.

KnightWriter likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    CHRIS HARDWICK: Text Messages with Chloe She Tried in Vain to Reconcile:
    [​IMG]

Link to the PDF of the July 2014 "Dear John" text letter from Hardwick to Dykstra and following messages.

[​IMG]

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    worth considering:

KnightWriter and Rew like this.
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm hoping to see Chloe respond soon and perhaps reveal the video and materials she references, should there be no legal ramifications.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I don't like her flippant "Cool article TMZ!" I mean, I hate TMZ, but if those are the facts, they're the facts and everyone is free to put their own interpretation on them. Were they not supposed to release those texts as pertinent? She's right that begging to get back together with a person does not mean that person wasn't abusive though. I think that's quite common actually in abusive relationships. The measured tone of Hardwick's text is also interesting. You could read it that he was more thoughtful in the moment than you'd expect an abuser to be; or it could also be that he's the kind of manipulator who always has an argument at the ready as to why he's the one who's right. Of course, I have my own opinions of people who break up over text and refuse to give the other person the dignity of a face to face conversation. But this is all interesting in an emotional sense.

Pragmatically, I think the only thing it really does concretely is contradict her original article where she claimed that "he begged me not to leave him; even told me he was planning to propose." I mean, that seems to be untrue now, though I suppose it's possible that she was begging him over text and he was begging her over e-mail or something, but it's hard to figure out why they didn't just get back together if that was the case. I mean, end of the day, I still tend to believe the broad strokes, and even most of the specifics, of her story and, though he probably hated losing his show, Hardwick'll be fine at the end of the day, so I'm not that worried about "what if he actually is INNOCENT tho?" But it was totally fair to release the texts and catch her out in one detail that she seems to have, well, misrepresented. But now that those texts are out there, and presumably have come from Hardwick, I think she should probably just go ahead and release what she has, so we'll see what happens there.

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    That seems a bit disingenuous. TMZ wasn't just “releasing facts” or narrowly questioning an aspect of her account. The article as written tries to impeach her credibility overall and cast doubt on the larger story. I think it’s appropriate for responses to acknowledge that.

23. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    This is probably only tangentially related to this thread, but did anyone catch the HBO adaptation of the Jerry Sandusky scandal Paterno starring Al Pacino and Riley Keough. I thought it was excellent, especially the contrast of Paterno's two sons, Scott and Jay. The portrayal of both of them seems to be reasonably accurate based on all of the documentary material of the two figures in real life that I've seen, (Steve having seemed to appreciate the extreme gravity of the situation right away, while idiot jock Jay made a complete and utter ass of himself dozens of times in various television interviews trying to defend his father)

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    itt celeb gossip

Master_Rebado and Lord Vivec like this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    You say that like it’s a new development. The overwhelming majority of all these reports are gossip, and always will be, given the vanishingly small number of cases that get tried in the legal system.

KnightWriter and Juliet316 like this.