main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC IMDb for Hollywood/Celebrity/Famous sexual predators

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I read the texts, actually. A few days ago; it's been my last week of work for 3 months as I start parental leave and I haven't had lots of time to post between tasks this week.

I'm honestly not sure if they mocked it up to look like it came from Hardwick's iPhone or if it's just clearly from his phone, but reading it I knew a little bit more about the guy because it was incredibly clear what he was doing. He was manipulating her into feeling guilty and pity to absolve himself.

It does fit with I guess the view I have of him now. I always found he was too eager to be liked; I don't want to make it sound like "oh I knew he was no good all along" but he had that nascent insecurity thing going I can't abide. He was however an incredibly gifted interviewer and conversationalist. He made the task of publicising a thing less boring for the person he was speaking to, and gave some great insights into his subjects and their creative process.

But seeing those texts and thinking back to the stuff that annoys me (and I mean, I love Kevin Smith and have done since Clerks came out but sometimes I wish he'd talk less and his guests, more...) I can actually see the pattern. The low self-esteem being used as a vehicle to drag others down and climb up on them. I don't think it disputes her account, it just shows a selective record of how he played her like a harp.

I still don't regret listening to Nerdist podcasts for about 4 years or so. I still think he's a gifted interviewer. But he's also an abuser and a user and a lying master manipulator.

So far, the two other cohosts of Nerdist back in the day haven't said anything directly. Jonah Ray, who I think hosts the new MS3000? - he liked a series of tweets attacking Hardwick's statement ("as a future father"... dewd pls). He also tweeted a series of gifs from River's Edge.

Matt Mira, who also cohost James Bonding, retweeted the Felicia Day tweet I linked above.

Wil Wheaton hasn't said anything.

But most damning in that I guess is that Hardwick's closest friends haven't said anything in his defence. I think that's pretty telling if you know how People'ing at all.

2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Two of Hardwick's exes have said that they don't disbelieve the story per se but they never saw anything like that for over 10 years they were variously involved with Hardwick:

https://uproxx.com/news/chris-hardwick-exes-defend-him-abuse-allegations/2/

It does not of course mean it was impossible that he was abusive with Dykstra; she's hardly going to lie in an essay with a stated intent of healing her not harming him. It's about healing, not hurting.

4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Burt Newton outed his late beloved mate, Graham, as a predator last night at the Logies.

All in good jest of course, along with the playful jab that he drove his wife to alcoholism.

Again guys, all jokes - don't judge the family by the son.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Nobody knows who that is, or cares, though.

DebonaireNerd likes this.
  6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

It's certainly possible that what for him were genuine expressions of insecurities came off to her like attempts to emotionally manipulate. I myself have been accused of that sometimes because I'm sensitive and some people can't believe that someone else would cry about or be bothered by things that wouldn't bother them.

I don't know. This is a very difficult one. I do think the accused deserve to be heard, and I don't think she's just out to make up a story to destroy his career. But I do think it's possible that her experience was bad, especially in retrospect now that she's older and looks back at it through the lens of, "wow, was I abused that whole time?" I've also known people to think they'd been subjected to emotional abuse by someone, but when I dove into it with them, it became clear they didn't have a solid perspective on what emotional abuse actually is.

I don't know. I guess what I'm saying is, if her story isn't as damning as it sounds, I don't think it would be because she did that on purpose.

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
  8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    There's more to the story:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...sed_of_raping_a_17-year-old_girl_in_2000.html

The same account (iwas17hewas36) that made the allegations against Maynard also made, and then deleted, very similar allegations about Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails.

One of the people to corroborate 17/36's Twitter account is someone called "Dingledoddle@gmail.com", the same contact email address as the iwas17hewas36 handle. The handle also said to email cclipper479@gmail.com with any other stories of abuse.

That email address has been located:

https://imgur.com/gallery/TJBFtt5

[​IMG]

Sadly this looks more like a hoax than anything else.

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Sadly?

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Sadly in that someone's trying to coopt #MeToo for bull**** purposes and undermine its legitimate message.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    One of the reactions that say it's not true only make me think: it's true.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes but he's pretty open about the sex stuff in his autobiography. And the author is a 23 year old male..?

13. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Placing a pic of yourself tugging one out while watching a man self fellate himself in your album booklet pretty much states I'm up for anything and pretty freaky.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Andy Dick has re-upped.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Well that's not a surprise

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  18. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
  19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I think it's the right thing to do. Once I actually heard the whole story, I think it was a complicated case. I don't think his career should end because of it.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Will the Nerdist podcast archive re-appear? There's a few I still wanted to listen to.

EDIT: gak, nevermind, they be here

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Master_Rebado likes this.
  23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    To echo a tweet posted about Disney getting fox...

On the outside: If these allegations are true, I hope he’s finished at CBS and we never hear from him again.

On the inside: if he goes, Big Brother is probably done :(

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And The Talk.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Sad face indicates shows I care about.