main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph IMDB permanently shutting down their boards this month

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Feb 6, 2017.

1. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The only forums I've ever discussed movies at were the ones at starwars.com (now also gone) and here at the JCF. I never thought to even read the user discussions at IMDb; I instead just occasionally use it as an info resource (and not necessarily a totally solid one at that). From what I've heard, a lot of what the forums there had become meant that it was no great loss to get rid of it. But it is kind of odd when people want to throw their hands up and say "oh well, internet anonymity!". It doesn't necessarily have to degenerate into a cesspool. It's kind of ironic for me to say this as a mod here, but having good admins, mods, and rules are obviously pretty important, but are somehow apparently overlooked at some sites. The user community here is so much better than the average forum community, it seems.

SunnyNelson and Bazinga'd like this.
  3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The thing about IMDb was it had a board for every movie and every actor - difficult to mod I'd imagine, but part of the appeal of IMDb's boards. I mean, the JCC is great for discussing movies that have just come out, but nowhere is as handy as IMDb's forum for looking to see what people thought of movies that you've just watched on late night tv - you can still look at reviews for general opinions, but the boards had people throwing ideas, theories, opinions, back and forth in a way that individual reviews can't supply.

The troll situation was horrible, however - I don't usually go in for ignore lists, but there it was essential.

Ghost likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "And it would have reminded us, too, of how horrible human beings can be when they’re nameless." should be the last post ever on every single comment section or forum when they close.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I disagree, YouTube comments switching to real names and Facebook posts are both strong arguments against that theory.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Bioware shut down their forums back in August, yet nobody made a thread about that. So unfair!

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think a
    I think EA is consolidating all of their forums into one central location.

8. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Few commenters on YouTube use real names, though.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Perhaps. I felt like I saw a fair number of real name users back before I installed a blanket hide all YouTube comments extension. :p

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    A lot of vile people on the internet definitely don't care about anonymity. It was always a dumb theory; people were horrible to each other before computers existed.

11. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i wish they'd left the imdb boards alone and disabled comments on facebook news pages

12. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I definitely don't discount the blanket of anonymity, though.