main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Immaculate Conception arc

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Gabricjen, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabricjen

Gabricjen Jedi Master star 3

Dec 16, 2003
    Hope this wasn't posted, i did a search to see and saw nothing.

We know now that Anakin Skywalker was conceived by the Force, assumed by Darth Plagueis or Darth Sidious. Shmi admits this as well to Qui Gon in EP1 and we here about it's possibility in EP3 by Palpatine. The ability to make life out of Midi Chlorians. What if that arc continues in the new trilogy? I believe that it's possible both Dombnall Gleeson's character and Rey, Daisy Ridley's character are twins and they were also immaculately conceived by The Force either by or for Luke. They are Luke's children, not Leia's and Han's. It would make sense to continue this storyline to give the overall film saga more connection. Maybe even the idea of questioning who's children they really are. Are they Darth Plagueis' or Luke's?Wasn't sure if this was explored yet but I have been thinking about it and wondered what thoughts are out there about this?

2. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    It is possible that the child born out of the force story is continued in some way. If Plaguies is involved I believe it will be a big part of this trilogy. I do think that Vader and the prophesy will touched upon as well.

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think it's a great aspect of the SW story, and would love/hope to see it further explored in the ST I.e. the power of the Skywalker's and their unique connection to the force.

Gabricjen and Darth Dookacas like this.
  4. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Interesting idea. However, I don't think it will happen. The previous two trilogies have found their conflicts centered around men who embraced the parent/child relationship in very tangible ways. Whoever or whatever created Anakin didn't matter nearly as much as Anakin's relationship to Shmi and Obi-Wan, or Luke's relationship to Anakin.

P.S. It's a common, easy to make error, but the Immaculate Conception refers to the conception Mary, the mother of Jesus, without original sin. Mary had two human parents. Conception without a human father - Jesus's conception - is known as the Incarnation. :)

5. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ Damnit I was going to say just that!

6. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    http://www.123helpme.com/view.asp?id=21558

I remember reading this essay before, which discusses Lucas' supposed commentaries on Christianity within Star Wars and Anakin's virgin birth. As for TFA, it depends on whether JJ and Kasdan wish to continue and replicate themes Lucas chose to incorporate into his saga. I would like to see them go down their own path with ideas on the force and give a fresh insight. I'm sure they will too, as why the force has become dormant and why it is now awakening, they are going to need to explore anyway.

7. Gabricjen

Dec 16, 2003
    Sorry about the Immaculate Conception/ Incarnation thing. My bad. I think you get the idea though. Thanks.

8. Gabricjen

Dec 16, 2003

I agree although i think that if you are actually telling an episodic saga, there should be some re-occuring ideas overall otherwise why give it an episode number? They could have told an entire stand alone series f they wanted to. They are purposefully continuing it for a reason.​

9. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    They're giving it an episode number because the story of the ST will still revolve around the Skywalker family. Descendants of Anakin can appear on other non-numbered SW films, but the story of the numbered episodes has them as the focus.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The episodic STAR WARS films have never been a series of disassociated events. The episodes appear to be part of a whole, which is only partially told or complete. The ST should conclude what was begun in 1977 and continued through 2005, IMO.

To the OP....the Force works in mysterious ways.

11. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

The who, what and why of Anakin's birth are Prequel era mysteries.

They will not be explored in the ST because they are not relevant to the new stories and heroes. The legacy of Vader is what matters - the consequence of his decisions and actions.

I don't believe that Plagueis or Palpatine had anything to do with Anakin's creation. He was born to destroy them, but Sidious corrupted him. I've always thought that Palpatine's remark about Plagueis "creating life" was simply to make Anakin start to doubt his purpose.

The scene never states that Palpatine is the Apprentice in question and later remarks indicate that he doesn't know the secrets of Plagueis.

Yet, according to the Tarkin novel, Palpatine is indeed said Apprentice and according to Palpatine's take, he does know the secret of influencing the midichlorians.

I heard a very interesting theory recently - in RotS, the creation of Vader is intercut with the death of Padmé - perhaps Palpatine is draining Padmé's life to bring Vader back from the edge of death? [face_thinking]

Everyone does it. I think the confusion is so widespread that it became easier to just call it the Immaculate Conception.

Jcuk likes this.
  12. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

bbm: I sure like that more than mysteriously withering away from losing 'the will to live' when she had two endangered children to protect.

13. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    The problem with that theory is there is no real support for it within the film itself outside of the juxtaposed editing of the pain of Padme's labor and Vader's rebirth. It also makes Obi-Wan and Yoda look useless, as they detect nothing thru the Force--Yoda especially, since he was just communing with Qui-Gon, who lives within the Force itself.

As for the virgin birth confusion, just because it's widespread doesn't mean it should just be accepted. I would think Catholics would get annoyed, as Mary's importance via the Immaculate Conception is their thing. People confuse Star Wars and Star Trek all the time. Correct them. It's the only way they'll learn.

Immortiss and TheManFromMortis like this.
  14. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    Not a fan of the virgin birth thing. Thought it was too on the nose. I don't think you'll hear much from TFA about midi-whatevers and by default, not much about Anakin's birth.

Toonimator likes this.
  15. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

The idea that Padmé "lost the will to live" is a misunderstanding by people from simply not watching the movie and jumping on a bandwagon.

The medical droid makes it quite clear that they don't why she is dying because she is "completely healthy". What does a machine know of the Force and "will"?

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  16. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

So the Force killed her? I am liking this Force less all the time... I like what you put in your post better.

17. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Perhaps nothing, although certain droids exhibit willfulness in the Saga after all (unless the ST reveals that R2-D2 has a program instructing him to be awesome and heroic and exhibit all the signs of free will).

But consider who the medical droid is speaking to: Jedi. Two of the most powerful Jedi around (or "left", if that's how you choose to look at it).

They sensed NOTHING, even after being exposed to all the darkness around Palpatine & Vader, even after all Yoda learned (retroactively) in the Lost Missions "Force" arc, even after just communing with a spirit who's hanging around in the Force itself and should've been able to sense such a tremendous manipulation as a life-transfer.

Bandwagon-jumping is what you're doing with the idea that Palp's hooked up a life-transfusion via the Force between Padme & Vader. It would've been simple enough to put some elements in the scenes as clues, or explicit details, that Palpatine is causing it. This kind of 'reaching' is no different than the silly explanations for why Newborn Leia remembers Padme, but Newborn Luke doesn't ("She's talking about Breha!", "The Force did it, but left Luke out!", "Her eyes were open in the movie but Luke's were closed!")

18. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Are you forgetting that film is a visual medium? The editing fully could be seen as supporting that theory.

Not only that, but are you forgetting that Yoda & Co. have beenoblivious to the dark side for quite some time. The dark side clouds their vision.

Immortiss and Hoggsquattle like this.
  19. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    The editing was stated by Lucas to juxtapose the birth of the twins with the birth of the Vader we knew, AFAIK.

And Yoda & Obi-Wan should've been a lot less clouded after encountering Sidious & Vader's machinations openly, in addition to Yoda having just gotten off the Force-phone with Qui-Gon. Something as big as Padme's life-force being transferred to Vader by Sidious should've caused a disturbance in the Force. It's something that is never really even hinted as being possible (unless you're spitballing ideas of how someone could use the Force to prevent loved ones from dying--but those ideas aren't really present in the movies).

20. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    They can't just throw a curve ball like that and have nothing come of it.

21. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

If they were conceived by the Force, like Anakin, they would only have a mother. If this is so, how could they be Luke's children? :confused:

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  22. Gabricjen

Dec 16, 2003
    It's possible that the force used Luke's midi-chlorians to have someone birth his children. The idea is that the Force has them come about.

mratm23 likes this.
  23. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Then Luke isn't part of the equation at all, unless he's the one manipulating the midichlorians to create life (which is considerably creepier than the Force doing it itself, as with Anakin).

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  24. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    The answer to Padme's lose of the will to live can be found in Matthew 19:5.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  25. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    ...no. We need less of that nonsense in our Star Wars, not more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.