main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Immortal Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cooker, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooker

cooker Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 8, 2004
    Will Star Wars novels/comics eventually depict the death of Luke/Leia/Han, etc? Given the continuity of the EU, the characters will eventually get really, really old. We've already seen the demise of one of the OT's major characters, will we see more in the future?

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The EU will continue as long as it's a moneymaker.

3. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Since they do get older in the EU rather than the Authors keeping them eternally young, I'd have to say yes enevitably they will pass on though there are still spots to fill up inbetween current novels so we might continue to see them

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I expect at some point in the future we will, indeed, see the Big Three die. Some have said the EU should jump ahead at least a hundred years so we don't have to see that. However, the post-RoTJ era has not seen extremely large gaps between various sources. I think the largest such gap was five years. And with the need to go back and fill things in, even a five year period eventually becomes a year or less. So even if, and that's a mighty big if, they were to jump ahead that far, they would eventually go back and fill in the gap, which would mean we'd be highly likely to see the Big Three die anyways.

5. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    Because Star Wars EU moves along at such small increments (and I hope and pray that it stays that way, and that we are never cursed with large, multi-decade or multi-centennial jumps) then it might come to pass that the Big Three never die. The publishing license might expire and never be renewed, or the post-NJO era might simply be closed to major expansion altogether, which I hope will happen soon.

Besides, Pellaeon is rapidly approaching 100 years of age, and he's going strong. There is no reason to believe that a Jedi Master and two people who live happy, comfy, and healthy lives supported by great wealth and extremely advanced medical technology couldn't survive for decades to come. Hold old is Garm Bel Iblis anyway? He must be getting pretty high up there in terms of years, and there hasn't even been a hint of him suffering from any of the signs of aging. He's still well enough to lead rebellions against established governments, smart off to politicians, and rouse thousands to follow him by his personality alone.

6. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    I personally would not like to have their death's depicted, or even referred to unless it is in the fashion that Knight mentioned. but having said that, I also agree with 7-7-7's opinion that there shouldn't be massive gaps all over the place. you start to lose a sense of continuity.

Having stuff set in, say, the KotoR era and then the Imperial era is cool, because they are so far removed. But initially, I found the prequal/new rep era gap a little troubling. And I know there would be many out there who aren't exactly fond of how the two eras are being bridged.

Anyhoo, I and many others have said this a thousand times, but I reaffirm my desire that they continue to do novels set during the classic era, albeit with different characters, a la the xwing series. strong character development, great stories, not dragging in the old characters, but still set in an era familiar to us. they can only be in so many places at once, after all. A CorSec, or corellian series would be good, i think.

7. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Are you refering to the fashion I mentioned in another thread? Cause I didn't mention a fashion here. And personally, I want to see their deaths. Not cause I don't like them, their all great characters. Luke being my favorite overall SW character. But I'd like to see them die so as to have some closure on their chapter of the who SW story and just jumping ahead and saying "oh, they died years ago" isn't going to do that.

8. darthjarjarbinks

Jan 3, 2000
    Knight- "Some have said the EU should jump ahead at least a hundred years so we don't have to see that"

I was referring to that comment.

9. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Luke, Leia and Han HAVE TO DIE, otherwise it would cheapen the legacy of Star Wars.

10. HanSolOKniser3

HanSolOKniser3 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    The "Big 3" have to die, and their deaths have to be written about. Just imagine the pure emotional impact this will have on SW fans, the stories about their deaths will become unforgettable.

Plus, on a less "romantic" note, the media exposure will probably draw in readers who don't usually read SW books. If these new readers get sucked in, that means more money for Lucas Books and whomever is publishing them at the time. More money means more books, and the future of the SW EU will continue to be told.

11. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    HanSolOKniser3, good post based on sincere wisdom and logic.

12. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    It's so good to hear those last statements concerning the deaths of the Big Three. Closure, that's what we'll need for the Big Three rather than jump a hundred years or more into the future when they have passed away.

13. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I very much agree. And while it's okay for one or two of them to die peacefully of old age, at least one needs to go down fighting. It has much better dramatic potential; in addition, with the kinds of risky lives they leave, it's just so unlikely that none of them would die in combat.

-Paul

14. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Batman has been around since the 1940s and has grown old and been broken in two and still going strong. Don't see why star wars can't do the same thing. But thats up to the people in charge GL.

15. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Luke, Leia and Han HAVE TO DIE, otherwise it would cheapen the legacy of Star Wars.

I agree completely. They've already started with Chewbacca, which is why he died, to prevent the series from becoming 'cheapened.'

16. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    now on VH1 Legends: what ever happened to the big three?

After many decades of fighting evil and building up the Jedi Order, Luke finally got his wish and went back to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters. He liked the hardware store there so much, he ended up buying it and retiring from the Jedi to be a shopkeeper with his wife Mara. They are occasionally visited by their grandchildren and other Jedi.

Luke's sister, Leia, after several government reformations, ended up fulfilling every major government post at some time or another. After being nominated to postmaster general, it was discovered that the galaxy really was better off with her in charge, and so the galaxy became an empire with Leia at its helm. The more she protested, the more power and responsibilities they gave her.

Han Solo was killed in a freak accident where he got sucked into the intake of the Wild Karrde on the planet TUF. However, enough of his brain remained alive that they could insert his mind into a spider walker and set him up at the B'omarr rest home. He now chases kids away from his lawn.

The original Millenium Falcon was put into the Galactic Museum of History, but over time was slowly looted piece by piece and replaced with fake parts. All of these pieces somehow ended up in a religious shrine among the Oswaft, where they revere Lando and Vuffi Raa.

17. Jedi_Rhysode

Jedi_Rhysode Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2004
    MikeSolo: Batman has been around since the 1940s and has grown old and been broken in two and still going strong. Don't see why star wars can't do the same thing. But thats up to the people in charge GL.

Not really. The thing with DC comics is that every decade or so they come up with some half-baked multi-dimensional meta-crisis that turns the clock back for all their characters, promising a few more years of entertainment with a Batman and Superman just shy of middle age. If we dont want to see LFL stoop to such levels with our favorite characters, we'll have to accept their deaths eventually

18. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    "Not really. The thing with DC comics is that every decade or so they come up with some half-baked multi-dimensional meta-crisis that turns the clock back for all their characters, promising a few more years of entertainment with a Batman and Superman just shy of middle age. If we dont want to see LFL stoop to such levels with our favorite characters, we'll have to accept their deaths eventually "

or they find a way to re-invent the character using a new author and writing style that occasionally breaks from the established character in favor of what the author/artist wants to do... but SW should never do that as well, and instead hopefully stick to one continuity.

19. darthjarjarbinks

Jan 3, 2000
  20. EUReader

EUReader Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 10, 2004
    I'd like to see them all die in battle if they have to die.

21. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Well you know, I am getting tired of reading of Luke and Han and Leia and would not shed tears if they bit the big one. I do not have a problem with how they die or if they die in a novel/comic book/whatever. The way NJO jedi reproduce, there is oodles of adventures waiting for offspring. And if they want to go way into the future, no problem with that anymore either. I'd like some new fresh EU characters that have no links to any movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.