MINIS Imperial Army. 40k using SW miniatures.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Alixen, Aug 2, 2013.

Moderators: LAJ_FETT, MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
  1. Alixen Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd really like some assistance, if fellow collectors would be so kind?

I'm buying as many Empire miniatures as I can, with the aim of using them in a Warhammer 40,000 army. My friends and i play the tabletop game pretty much every monday, and i've decided to personalize it with Star Wars models.

I play a mix of 'Tau' with 'Eldar' allies. I've already started making the army, but I need some assistance with certain models, and suggestions on what to use. I believe the Eldar allies will work best for force users, and speederbikes, as Tau don't get any as standard.

Farseer: The Emperor or a Sith Hero.
    Pheonix Warrior: Vader, Mara, Starkiller, or somesuch. Boba Fett for a ranged one.
    Harlequinns/Scorpions/Banshees: Imperial Knights or assorted force users.
    Jetbikes: Scout on Speeder Bike.
    Rangers: Bounty Hunters.

Etherial: Imperial Officer. Maybe Thrawn, when using a hero.
    Firewarriors: Stormtroopers, of course.
    Pathfinders: Scouts.
    Drones: Probe Droids is tempting, but the models are pricey. Ideas?
    Kroot: Wookie slaves, potentially. Hounds and bigger stuff, assorted beasts, like Nexu.

Riptide: AT-STs. They are slightly taller, and slightly thinner, so it evens out and they look great.
    Fliers: I just bought a Revell Easykit Pocket TIE Interceptor, to see if the scale is right, and if so i'll use normal TIE's and Bombers.

But now I start running into problems.

Crisis Suits: Dark Troopers, later phases?
    Stealth Suits: Dark Trooper, phase ones?
    Tanks: I'm honestly stumped as to what I can sue as Imperial tanks, any idea? It doesn't have to be the miniatures range, as long as its the right scale.

I'm planning on doing an overall Infinities style army, since i'm already shredding both games fluff/plots just by crossing them over. I like the Empire, and I reckon if Sidious had died early, it might have become more what the Remnant later does, far earlier. So i don't mind mixing in Legacy models into the mix. I'm certainly going to be adding various Imperial Knight variants of our favourite EU characters.
  2. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

star 9
    Interesting idea. I'm a 40K fan but just the novels - I'm not into the gaming side. I'm familiar with it though as there is a local Games Workshop and I've seen the displays there.
  3. Alixen Force Ghost

star 4
    It's fun, but as I'm sure you know pricey. It was actually cheaper to buy three 'Miniature' AT-ST's than a single Riptide model. the plastic may be inferior; but they are solid and pre-painted and pre-constructed. The only other downside is that the models are limited in poses, but frankly some of the 40k models are getting very much that way, especially the hero units.

I had to re-base my Mara Jade (she came on a square one, wheras the circular ones are perfect for 40k) and give her and the male Hand I bought touch-ups with my own paints (primarily eyebrows), but overall I also appreciate not having to spend months painting my army. I'm tempted to ink the models to make them look less flat, it looked pretty good on a snowtrooper I tried, but the cloak of the Emperor's Hand model I also tried it on developed spots of discolouration, which makes me suspect something in the differing mixtures doesn't play nice. Thankfully its a plain black cape, so easily repainted with a better and more durable black.

The only issue where price comes up is likely going to be the Storm troopers in actual fact. I started collecting with the Clone models that came out after AotC, so I have a lot of Clone Troopers, and various Jedi, but I only had two or three Storm Troopers from Rebel Strike. I'm going to have to buy around thirty Storm Troopers, generally at around £1.50 each with postage on top. Thats going to be a nasty month. :p Over all though, the savings from the bigger models with balance it out i think.
  4. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    That all sounds good, though I'm not sure you'll have any luck with the tanks. The Eldar and Tau don't really have any tanks that don't fly, and I don't think the Imperial army has any that don't have legs. I'd quite like to see some pictures, if that's possible. I know enough about Eldar and Tau to give some rough tips, but I'm an Ork player so it's really all about the dakka dakka for me.
  5. Alixen Force Ghost

star 4
    Its very much looking like i'll have to get some TIE crawlers and simply hand-wave that they aren't hover tanks. Or AT-TEs, if I can find any of appropriate size, as they supposed use rail-gun technology, like the Tau Hammerhead tank.
  6. Minez01 Force Ghost

star 1
    Interesting idea. I just bought a huge list of SW miniatures not too long ago, mainly for display purposes. I agree with you regarding the painting, an already constructed and painted miniature is something very nice to have!

I tend not to play 40k at all, never have, but I actually enjoy painting and modeling etc. A while back I actually was considering starting up a space marine army and giving them an Empire theme, complete with logos, stormtrooper colours etc. But I'll be interested to see how your army comes along, take a picture when it's done!

In my rather limited experience I haven't found them to be too bad, but mainly because so many sets have been released with doubles of characters or troopers. It makes it slightly easier to try and pick out a pose that looks good and is slightly varied from other models.
    Last edited by Minez01, Aug 13, 2013
  7. Alixen Force Ghost

star 4
    Sure. I just bought a job-lot of some of the early booster boxes. Around 20 Rebel Strike boxes, 11 Bounty Hunter boxes, 3 of the Endor AT-STs, and many others. Cost me a pretty penny - but i can make tha back on the stuff I don't want. I'll still need to buy stuff like Dark Troopers, Speeder Bikes and Probe Droids, but there should be plenty of troopers to make up numbers.

I found a picture of the Transformers Crossover Republic Tank. its just about the right scale. Its the same one as in Battlefront 2, on the Empire side. Pricey, but if I get two and repaint them, they will serve well as Hammerhead tanks.

On reflection, its seeming more and more cost effective all the time, because the models could be used to proxy for any army, in any 28mm scifi game. Tau fit best, with Eldar allies, but Imperial Guild with Space Marine allies would work almost as well.
Moderators: LAJ_FETT, MarcusP2, The2ndQuest