Imperial Campaign

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Mozart, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mozart Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Hey guys, was wondering if you could identify a sourcebook for me.

One of the ideas I'd like to try as a DM (besides the Enemy Within campaign) is a D6 Imperial Campaign. Basically, it has all these Imperial character types that you can choose from (like an Imperial Officer for example, truthfully, it's been a long time, so I can't remember what they had.)

Now here's the problem, I can't for the life of me remember which book has it. I don't think it's the Imperial Sourcebook 2nd Edition (of course I flipped through it fast so I could be wrong here).

Does anyone know what I'm looking for?
  2. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Heroes&Rogues.
    This is the best template sourcebook outside the one Gry Sarth compiled. The first section is Imperial Templates, followed by Independant Templates, finishing with Rebel Alliance Templates.
    The book seems designed around the idea of a campaign set after RotJ, while the New Republic is kicking the empire's backsides. Maybe that was intentional, maybe not.
    Great templates include "Imperial Assassin", "Ex-Imperial Commando", "Annoying Squib", and "Rodian Pacifist."
  3. Mozart Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    That's exactly what I was looking for and so you came through for me again, thanks. :)
  4. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We live to serve.
    Besides, how could I live with myself if I denied someone access to one of my favorite books for disturbing players?
  5. Mozart Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Disturbing players?
  6. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sure.
    take the rodian Pacifist.
    Make it force sensative.
    Give it some jedi training.
    Now have it join the party.
    Imagine the fun of the party running into an ambush and finding that none of their weapons work? Why? "Oh, I took the liberty of draining your powerpacks so we could discuss the situation in a meaningful dialog rather than resorting to barbaric violence. Please procede. If you'd like, I would be happy to act as a facillitator."

One of the adventure ideas is to kidnap a CompNOR SAGroup Youth from camp by impersonating Camp councillors, trainers, etc. 24 CompNOR SAGroup Youths as the opposition to the party completing their mission.

Are those disturbing enough, or should I go on?
  7. Blithe Force Ghost

star 4
    Koohii, I like the way you think. ;)

Wait. . . is that bad? :p

Anyway, was the Rodian player draining the power packs before missions/adventuring and such? That's pretty thoughtful.

Some of the best role-played Jedi characters are those who take the Obi-Wan approach: "There are alternatives to fighting. . ."

We had this one Cerean Jedi Master who wasn't that strong in the "shock and awe" category of powers and abilities, but he was one hell of a diplomat. At the time of his death, I recall that he was something like a Jedi Consular 8/Jedi Scholar 4. All of his interpersonal skills, Force and otherwise, were essentially maxed-out, with most at a rank of 15, not including modifiers.

When you have a couple of hot shot mercenaries in the party (Solider/Elite trooper) who can't even pick the right kinds of fights, you suddenly learn how the Force powers of Affect Mind, Empathy, Friendship (Affect Mind, and probably a use of Enhance Attribute on Perception in d6) are your real friends. ;) The best part was that these techniques were the "last resort" to him: Diplomacy, Bluff, or Intimidate always came first, then the non-offensive force powers. Many simply give their obligatory Diplomacy or Intimidate rolls, and if that fails, it's straight into the Force Pushes and lightsaber combat.

The only time I think I saw him use telekinesis on anything was his own lightsaber. . . :)
  8. Mozart Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I'm not bumping this, I actually have some more questions and there's no point in starting a new thread.

1. Okay, I picked up Heroes and Rouges, but there's a template missing. What if someone wants to run as a good old fashioned Stormtrooper, or I based a campaign using a ST legion? What template could I use to accomplish that?

2. Along with Heroes and Rouges, the 2nd ed revised sourcebook, and the GM's guide, are there any other books I should pick up (from West End), especially for Imperial campaigns? Of course Imperial Sourcebook, Second Edition should be one, right?

3. What book had the template for Ex-Stormtrooper? I don't think it was H&R...

Can anyone help me?

EDIT: Actually I think it was called Former Stormtrooper.
  9. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Try Ex-Imperial Commando in the Rebel section of H&R.

Core rules, sourcebook, Imp Forces sourcebook, and H&R should cover most of your needs. YOu might also want Thrawn Trilogy.
  10. Mozart Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Thanks. Now can I post a request for players here, or is this not the right place?

Also what material you suggest I research before starting a campaign?

I appreciate the suggestion, but even I admit, I'm not... what's the word... epic enough to run anything concerning Thrawn. ;)

11. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, I don't know what you're planning.
    If you're running a play-by-post game here, probablly want to check in with the mods first, just to be safe.
    If you're running a game around a table somewhere in the real world, probablly want to check with local fan-force, schools, game shops, etc.

For other advice, I'd need to know a few more details.
    What era of the empire? Early days? Rebelion? Near/just after Battle of Endor? New Republic? Vong invasion (whatever that is--don't tell me, I don't want a definition)?
    What role is the party going to have? A commando team? Intel? CompNOR? Sith Hit Squad?

One of the things I like to do as a GM is have a couple of NPCs that the party never meets running parallel course or similar missions for the other side, and within other institutions. The things the party does affect these people, and vice versa, though the party may never know.

If you want a good view of bureaucrasy and the power of a monolithic organization vs the actions of individuals, rent & watch a british show called "The Sandbaggers". It's 1980s SAS spies having to spend more time fighting their bureaucratic masters than fighting the russians. Plus it's an excellent show. May give you a few adventure ideas.
  12. Mozart Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Well, alot of the details haven't been planned yet, but I'll keep everyone posted if it ever goes anywhere.

And I'll check it out, thanks for the advice. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.