main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Imperial Destiny (COMPLETED 8/24)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tych_sel, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I'm a bit pressed for time tonight, so I'll just be tossing up a post. Replies will be coming tomorrow.

Though Luke had been in the presence of the Empress countless times before, never had he felt the darkness radiating from her so clearly. Perhaps it was due to the fact that Salina's own darkness merely amplified that of the Empress, or perhaps Luke's fear for his wife and sister made him more receptive. Or perhaps it was something else entirely, something that he sought to keep hidden at almost any cost. Or, he thought belatedly, perhaps he simply was looking for an excuse to get the twins as far from the corrupting influence that the Empress wielded as quickly as he could.

"I told you to remain on Hapes," Kanti said. "You should have stayed there."

"If I hadn't returned, who would now be looking after my children?" Luke asked, looking to the infants he now cradled in his arms. Thankfully, both Ben and Karidwen remained asleep.

"I'm certain competent caregivers could have been found," Kanti said. "I seem to recall that you had no objection allowing Salina to be raised mostly by another."

And look how that turned out, Luke thought darkly, hoping that the Empress hadn't caught that particular thought. After all, had she been younger, Luke would have taken Salina across his knee and let her know that her behavior was unacceptable. He could hardly do that with the woman she was becoming, but the image still came to mind. "Mara and I both regretted not being around more for Salina," Luke said. "We'd promised each other that it wouldn't be the same for the twins."

"I am Darth Nephiceli now, Father. Unfortunately, I don't think Mother will be allowed contact," Salina said. "We cannot risk her ideas passing onto another generation." She had taken up a position behind the right side of the throne, her hand on the hilt of her lightsaber, now joined by Mara's, Leia's, and Luke's old blade. "One generation has already been poisoned by thoughts of revolution, and we cannot allow such thoughts to infect another."

"I don't think the Alliance is of any real threat," Luke said. "I'd say that there's a greater threat from the Yuuzhan Vong."

"They will only be a threat as long as we remain divided," Kanti said. "Once the last flames of rebellion have been swept away, we can focus on defeating the Yuuzhan Vong."

"Is that why your son sits on his hands in the Consortium?" Luke said. "Because he's under orders not to act?"

"I'd suggest you consider your next words carefully, Father," Salina said. "I would hate to see you join Mother and Aunt Leia."

"Since you brought them up, Salina, what is going to happen to them?"

"They will be dealt with as traitors must be," Kanti said. "It will be unfortunate to lose one such as your wife, my Hand, but I cannot have one whose loyalties I cannot trust so close to me."

And what of Salina, who saw fit to betray her own flesh and blood? Luke thought. Kanti was intentionally blinding herself, but Luke could also admit that he wasn't seeing the situation clearly enough. "Mara would never have chosen to betray the Empire," Luke said.

"Then I heard wrongly when I heard her conspiring with Aunt Leia to depose the Empress? I'm sorry, Father, but that sounds like treason to me."

"Leia has always been a strong advocate for freedom," Luke said. "And did you pause to consider that Mara might have been playing along to see how far Leia was willing to go? Or were you so determined to prove your worth to the Empress that you'd sacrifice your own mother?"

"Sometimes sacrifices must be made to ensure the strength of what is to come. You have seen the first step in establishing a future for the Empire, Father. Don't let your longing for the past keep you from enjoying what is to come."

"It seems that my duties have increased," Luke said. "I must request that my assignments be limited to Imperial Center, since I am now responsible for raising these two. It seems my daughter is fully capable of handling any offworld tasks."

2. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    notice how Luke never thought of how to save Salina.

And Kanti's remarks about the Yuuzhan Vong is reminiscent of Chiang Kai Shek's stance during World War II.

3. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Go Luke! Get those twins offworld! Maybe they'd be safer hidden away somewhere on Tatooine?

4. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Okay, sorry about not answering replies last night. Here goes...

dajohu: I think Aayla's seen what a slippery slope the Dark Side can be, and she doesn't want to go there.

Sil: Glad you liked it. As for the twins, I think Luke might have other plans...

Ocelotl: I struggled with how much of the ethics to put in, since I didn't want it to seem sermonizing. But I also didn't want to just have her accept things, either.

obiwan: Aayla's just true to form, I suppose.

MU: I think right now, Luke's more concerned with saving the twins, who really can't save themselves. But if he can, he'll certainly try to bring Salina back into the fold.

Okay, next post will be coming tomorrow.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

5. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    That was a great post... dont worry about sermonizing... If you start to sound like Ruch Limbaugh or Howard Stern, then I will accuse you of sermonizing...

Otherwise your discussion and dialogue of ethics and integrity is encouraged and appreciated.

6. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Ocelotl: Glad you liked the little bit of ethics. I guess I see the preservation of life as an important part of the Jedi philosophy, especially given Luke's statements on the subject.

Okay, here comes tonight's post.

"General, what are we waiting for?" Captain Jurik asked as she sat across the desk from Wedge, one head-tail twitching nervously. "It seems that Lord Palpatine has all the resources he needs to smash the Yuuzhan Vong, yet we're all just sitting here. My crew wants to move, General, and I'm beginning to wonder if we're ever going to get the orders we've been waiting for."

"Palpatine will move in his own good time," Wedge said. "I'm sure there is good reason for him to wait, but I'm starting to get pressure from another direction." Wedge sighed. "But that's my problem to deal with, not yours. Surely there is something pressing on your mind, Captain, or you wouldn't have bothered coming over here."

"It's quite simple, General. When you and Master Skywalker conducted your inspection, I thought it meant that the Fleet was getting ready to move. My crew has been on high alert, and frankly, it's starting to show. There's only so long they can stay in a constant state of readiness before it starts to take a toll. Surely you know that."

"Better than you might understand, Captain," Wedge thought, considering the game he'd been playing for several years. The fact that nobody outside of Luke had learned of Wedge's true allegiance shocked him. "Perhaps you should allow them to shift back to their normal routines until we get a signal to go."

"I could, but that could have its own negative influences," Jurik said. "If we're not going to go, at least put us out where we might be able to do some good. I have good people, General, and they don't like the idea of Imperial citizens reduced to slaves."
    "I don't like it any more than you do, and I've expressed my feelings to Lord Palpatine," Wedge said, though he'd done nothing of the sort. "I'd like to see an end to this conflict as well, but it seems that matters are beyond our control."

"I thought you might be able to express the opinions of the average soldier to Lord Palpatine," Jurik said. "Perhaps if he realized we're ready?"

"Trust me, Palpatine has a pretty good idea what's going on. Maybe he's waiting for more Jedi, though from what I've seen, they're fairly useless in this conflict. Or perhaps Thrawn's returned from Chandrila, and has come up with a master plan to wipe out the Yuuzhan Vong. There are too many variables for me to know exactly what's going on, and despite my command of the Fleet, Lord Palpatine has chosen to keep his plans to himself. Until he sees fit to reveal them, there is little any of us can do but wait."

"And the Hapans? Surely the Queen Mother isn't taking this lying down."

"I've already spoken with the Queen Mother, and will express her feelings, and those of your crew, to Lord Palpatine. Maybe I can at least get him to explain just what the blazes is going on."

"Please do so, General," Jurik said, rising. "When the go order comes, we'll be ready to move."

"I expect nothing less, Captain," Wedge said, extending his hand. "With people like you, we may yet be able to avert the tragedy I fear is coming."

++++++++++++

That's all for now. More will be coming on Monday.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

7. dajohu

dajohu Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    Well, Salina has become one cold hearted girl. I really hope Luke gets the kids, Mara and Leia away... maybe with the help of Iella? Anyway, hope Ricar gets off his butt and gives those Vong whats coming to them before its too late. :D

-dajohu

8. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    with Ricar not doing anything, GO YUUZHIES!

9. Ocelotl_Nesto

Oct 29, 2004
    Roat is going to get blasted... I can already tell

10. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    great post with Luke and Selena. He knows his first concern is the twinds, then his wife and sister. He can work on saving Selena later. It's pretty sad she fell, but expected. Being around Kanti has to have a swaying influence.

11. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    dajohu: If Ricar sits too long, his mom may become a little curious about what he's doing, so I expect you'll see him moving soon. As for Salina, she has become pretty cold-hearted. I'd say it remains to be seen whether any remnant of Salina remains within Nephiceli.

Sil: Why does that reaction not surprise me a bit?

Ocelotl: Perhaps...perhaps not.

obiwan: Glad you liked the Luke/Salina post. Luke's got his priorities, and right now, redeeming his daughter isn't atop the list.

Okay, let's check back in on Iella.

The building was long and wide, and the scent of perfume filled Iella's nostrils as she entered. She knew that part of the reason for the perfume was because the female slaves wore it, but it was also circulated through the facility in the air to hide the scents of too many bodies packed together. She'd never been here before, but then again, she had no reason to. In fact, she'd done about all she could to avoid the Sentient Property Exchange, or Slave Central, during her years on Imperial Center. It had been in one of the satellite facilities that Wedge had discovered Tahiri. Now, here she was, about to turn Tahiri over as if she were a piece of meat.

The officer on duty was a middle-aged human male with a pockmarked face, who clearly had long ago given up on any sort of real life. Instead, he had become one of the many faceless drones who helped keep the bureaucracy of the Empire running. "Purpose of your visit?" he asked, his tone conveying pure boredom.

"I've reached an agreement pertaining to certain property of mine. I need to obtain the proper documents to transfer ownership."

"You have removed any markers that might allow you to attempt to reclaim ownership of the slave?"

"Per my husband's request, she was never marked. He did not want her movements being traced."

"You realize that failing to mark a slave could be seen as refusal to take ownership. Without such markers, there is no way to prove legal ownership of the slave in the first place."

"I believe a bill of sale from a respected dealer would suffice," Iella said.

"Provided that the sale can be authenticated. You have such a bill?"

"I do," Iella said, reaching into her purse and withdrawing a datacard. She then turned to Tahiri. "Step forward, girl." Tahiri did as instructed.

"Place your hand on the pad," the bureaucrat said. Tahiri did so, and jerked back as her palm was pricked.

"What in the name?"

"Silence," Iella snapped. She then turned to the officer. "I apologize, sir, for her inappropriate behavior. Perhaps her new master will teach her the proper behavior."

"I see no reason to bar the sale, though I would caution that you advise her new master to have her marked as soon as possible. Further transactions may be impeded if this is not done."

"I shall do so, Officer."

"It will be a moment while I download the proper documents onto a datacard." He turned his attention to the computer terminal, and a moment later produced a datacard. "You will need to give this to the new owner, confirming the sale."

"Then our business is concluded," Iella said, feeling a need to get out of the place as soon as possible. After all, Slave Central was not the sort of place a general's wife should be seen. "Come, Tahiri." She swept from the building, Tahiri hurrying to keep up with her. They were met outside by Aayla, who had by now changed to a somewhat flamboyant gown that Iella worried was going to draw far more attention than was prudent.

"I'll be happy if I never have to go into that place again," Iella said, handing over the datacard. "It gave me the creeps."

"You?" Tahiri asked. "You weren't the one being treated like a prize steak."

"Unfortunately, that was probably the easiest part of what's to come," Aayla said. "I shall probably find that I will have to behave in a fashion far crueler towards you than Ms. Roat has."

"But at least I'll know it's an act. I had no idea what was going on when we went

12. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    ah so Luke is getting help for his twins. and yeah, my cheering for Yuuzhies shouldn't be much of a surprise

13. dajohu

Oct 16, 2006
    I bet the look on Iella's face woulda been priceless. :) Good update, looking forward to what Aayla and Tahiri will get up to.

-dajohu

14. motoish

motoish Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2005
    Iellas face would be a picture wouldnt it.

So hes going to have Iella look after the twins or perhaps even have them taken somewhere safe away from Imperial centre? So he can finally go and kick some ass without being distracted!

15. Ocelotl_Nesto

Oct 29, 2004
    OOH lady Antilles... YIPES!

Luke could have used the help of the two Jedi...

16. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Great posts! Sorry I've been away.
    I liked the Kanti/Luke scene. That was really well-written.
    And I can't wait to see how Wedge and Luke interact... and of course they'll save Leia and Mara? [face_praying]

17. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Sil: I'd say Luke is realizing he can't do it all by himself.

dajohu: Yes, I agree that the look on Iella's face would have been priceless. As for Aayla and Tahiri, well, let's just say that I wouldn't try to guess where they'll pop up next.

motoish: I'm afraid you'll just have to wait and see what Luke's gone to Iella for.

Ocelotl: Well, he knows that Wedge is Roat, so it's not that big a leap. As for the two Jedi, who's to say they won't show up to help?

SithGirl: Glad you liked the Kanti/Luke scene. As for Luke and Wedge, they've already interacted.

Lumiya knelt before her Master. "My Lord, your actions begin to brew controversy. There are some who say you have arrived only to preside over the demise of Hapes." She looked up, expecting him to tell her to rise.

Ricar's only reply was a slight smile, the gold of his eyes deepening briefly, becoming almost an orange. "And what have you done in return, my apprentice?"

"Those who have spoken out against you have been silenced, and will not speak again," Lumiya said, recalling how it had felt to cut the tongue out of one of them. That example had proven enough to cow the others, though she had made it clear that she would continue the practice until all complaints had been silenced. "They will not trouble you again. But some are moving to take action on their own."

"Yes, I know of Adelissa's impatience. One would think she would have learned based on what happened last time, don't you agree?"

"The Hapans have always been a most stubborn people, Master," Lumiya said, her knees beginning to hurt, given that only one knee had been entirely replaced. The other served as a point where the cybernetics had been grafted to her original tissue. "The ruling family has always been especially so."

"So she decided to ignore my edict," Ricar said. "And get off your knees, Lady Cehka. A ruler should never be found in such a position, and I believe we are about to receive company." It didn't surprise Cehka that Catigyrn had felt the other's arrival; she had been focusing on dulling the pain from her left knee. She rose to stand beside the throne, presenting a unified front before whomever had dared interrupt the meeting.

It wasn't quite the person Cehka had expected. It had been a Force-sensitive, but she'd expected Kyp Durron. Instead, she found herself looking down on a dark-haired youth. What in blazes was Zekk doing here? She knew he'd been assigned to spy on the Queen Mother, but that had become useless when he'd fallen for her instead.

"Jedi Zekk," Ricar said. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be trying to get as far from the Queen Mother's reach as possible? And that of those you betrayed?"

"I was merely banished from the Consortium," Zekk said. "This is still Imperial territory, is it not?"

"A fine point of law, from one who never claimed much interest in the subject," Ricar said. "But I must ask again, why are you here? You faile din your duty to the Empire, and I do not tolerate failure any more than my mother."

"I did not fail the Empress, or the Empire," Zekk said. "I was sent to gather information. The fact that the Queen Mother became enamored of me enough o declare me her consort played into my hands."

"Yet when the Empire seized control of Hapes, you stood against Admiral Tavira," Lumiya said. "And then you took part in a coup to replace the successor to the throne."

"I helped keep a traitor off the throne, in case you've forgotten, Jedi Lumiya. Or is it possible that you've become something more?"

"I am a servant of the Empire," Lumiya replied, though Zekk was coming painfully close to piercing the deception. "I was merely consulting with Lord Palpatine about the next course of action in the war, and how the Jedi might be able to augment our forces."

"I see," Zekk said. "Then perhaps I can help coordinate our forces with those of the Hapans."

"I believe your presence would only hinder our efforts," Ricar said. "Jedi Z

18. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    so Ricar knows who Wedge is

19. Ocelotl_Nesto

Oct 29, 2004
    "General Antilles?!" Uh oh...

20. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Wow! I can see something really bad happening to Zekk...

21. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Ooops!!!

Okay, I normally don't reply on non-post days, but the oops in the previous post, which has now been corrected, makes it necessary.

Sil: Ricar doesn't know Wedge is Wedge. That was entirely a mistake on my part, probably from writing too many fic in which Wedge is "General Antilles."

Ocelotl: Nope, not necessarily. Just an oops on the part of the author.

SithGirl: I wouldn't count on anything bad happening to Zekk. Though I won't say if he'll make it through...

Okay, that's it for now. More story to come tomorrow!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

22. dajohu

Oct 16, 2006
    Does this mean Ricar is finally going to get off his butt and do something? I'm shocked speechless :D Anyway, good update, looking forward to the next one.

-dajohu

23. motoish

motoish Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2005
    Okay. How does Ricar who wedge is? I read him saying contact general Roat?

On another note. Whatever happened to Winter?

24. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    dajohu: Ricar is indeed going to get off his butt and do something.

motoish: Can't blame you for being confused. When I initially posted the last segment of the story, I'd accidentally written "General Antilles" rather than "General Roat," as in the corrected version. As for Winter, I kinda lost track of her early on, not really having much for her to do that Iella couldn't. So let's just say that she's probably helping Tycho with whatever he's up to.

Okay, here comes tonight's post!

Tsavong Lah paced the command salon aboard his flagship, wondering briefly why he was expending so much time on the outer fringes of the space the infidels called the Hapes Consortium. The infidels here were nothing special, and the males were so subservient that they might as well have been slaves before the arrival of the Yuuzhan Vong. The females, on the other hand, were so impertinent that they were almost useless as slaves, even when the coral implants were introduced.

He'd almost given up for the day of achieving anything when a group of blaze bugs suddenly rose from the floor, arranging themselves into a small flotilla of ships. So, Tsavong thought, the infidel Empress has developed a spine. But the flotilla seemed too small to be of any great danger. In fact, it was too small to have been much of an Imperial force. Either this was some renegade, or else a rebellion was taking place against the Yuuzhan Vong.

"Find the origin of the flotilla," he growled. "Deploy our fighters! We shall smash this infidel incursion, and then drive them before us like the vermin they are!

Well, here goes nothing, Han thought as the Falcon dropped out of hyperspace. The Yuuzhan Vong fleet hung like a cloud over the planet, and Han whistled at their number. "Just think," he said to nobody in particular, "this is only a small portion of what they entered the galaxy with."

"Let's keep that thought away," Bail said through the com from the turret. "Dad, I'm sensing slaves down there. Looks like the Yuuzhan Vong have already begun whatever they came here to do."

"Well, then let's stop them from doing it anywhere else," Kyle voice rang through. "I'm going try making a run through the thick of things, and see what I can't stir up."

"Kyle, they'll have the Crow drilled full of holes before you can even get a shot off," Han replied, though he'd been thinking of doing the same thing.

"Perhaps if I were just a regular pilot, Han, but remember, I'm a Jedi."

"Just because you're a Jedi doesn?t mean you can survive this. Plus, these guys are blanks in the Force, remember."

"And I seem to recall that your son came up with a way to counteract that particular advantage of theirs."

"I can only tell where they're going to be," Bail said, taking his father's side to Han's surprise. "I can't tell what they'll do when they get there."

"All the more reason to see how they react," Kyle said.

"I hate to break in on the debate," Jaden said from his fighter, but it looks like we?ve been noticed." Indeed, a number of Yuuzhan Vong fighters were detaching from the main group and heading for the Rebels.

"Then I suggest that we get ready for company," Han said. "May the Force be with all of us."

"I believe I already said that," Kam's voice came through.

"Never hurts to say it again, does it?" Han asked. "Chewie, let's show these Jedi what a pair of ordinary pilots can do."

++++++++++++

We'll hop back to Chandrila Monday.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

25. dajohu

Oct 16, 2006
    Can't wait to see how the battle unfolds and maybe Wedge will come to the rescue? :D

-dajohu

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.