main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Imperial Destiny (COMPLETED 8/24)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tych_sel, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PHGS_Weyr

PHGS_Weyr Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2006
    hmm force choke... my favourite...

2. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    The imperial Jedi are going to be in a for a world of change...

"This is going to be good, I can tell" -- Dory, Finding Nemo

3. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    obiwan: Yes, the Master/Padawan relationship is quite different for the Imperial Jedi, isn't it?

PHGS: No matter how many times that ability gets used, I don't ever see it getting old.

Ocelotl: Yes, they may find that the Empire they return to isn't quite the one that they left...

Okay, here comes tonight's post. Sorry, but it's a little late.

"Interesting, isn't it, how easily the Rebels allow themselves to be led like nerfs to the slaughterhouse?" Ricar asked from the throne aboard Emperor's Fist. "They truly believe that General Roat is going to allow them to remain alive."

"It is their belief in honesty that makes them truly dangerous. Their heroics will only get them, and those around them killed.

"Ah, but there is the delicious side of it. Not only will we have eliminated the Yuuzhan Vong as a threat by the time this day is over, but we will have cut the heart out of the Rebellion. Or didn't you realize that the whole of their Jedi Order seems to be present."

"And with the Jedi Order out of the way?"

"The path is open for the rise of the Sith. And rest assured, my Empire will be greater than my mother's ever was. I will restore the order that my grandfather envisioned." A comlink buzzed from the throne, and Lumiya almost expected an explosion of outrage. "Yes, Captain?" Ricar said, flicking it on with a wave of his hand.

"Lord Palpatine, we are receiving an urgent message from Imperial Center." At the edge of the battle, the Diadem-class Destroyer could keep her shields down. "It carries the prefix code of the Empress."

Once again my mother seeks to interfere where she is not wanted, Ricar thought. "You may link the transmission to the holoprojector here, Captain." He turned to Lumiya. "You may wish to step out of range, my apprentice."

The image of the Empress appeared. "You have decided to move against the Yuuzhan Vong at last. I wondered if I had made an error sending you."

"There were matters on Hapes that required time," Ricar said. "Admiral Tavira left things in a terrible mess. It took me some time to sort things out."

"Do not concoct stories for me, my son. I know what you have been doing, know of the apprentice you have taken." Kanti's mouth curved in a mirthless smile. "Did you really belive you could hide your actions from me?"

"If my actions are so transparent, so obvious, why have you allowed me to continue in this fashion?"

"Let me simply say that it has served my own purposes. Your choice of apprentice disappoints me, my son. Lumiya will never truly challenge you. You will never strengthen yourself through challenge, and thus, set yourself up for a fall. I would not see my only heir become a pawn."

"Yet isn't that what I am to you, Mother? A pawn?"

"If that it the role you wish for yourself. But I believed you could be so much more. I have used the time you have given me train another, one whose abilities could, given time, challenge my own."

"And now, you seek to pit me against this secret apprentice?"

"I have sent her with clear orders to do what is necessary to end the Yuuzhan Vong threat to my Empire. When she has completed her task, she is to rendezvous with you. I leave her fate in your hands. But remember that the greatest of Sith have always taken apprentices who will challenge their skills in the future. It is that which has kept us strong."

"I understand, Mother," Ricar said. "And may I know the identity of the apprentice?"

Kanti made a clucking noise with her tongue against the her teeth. "I should expect that when she arrives, she will make her identity known to you. Assuming, of course, that you haven't deduced it already." Kanti's image appeared.

"She knows you plan to overthrow her," Lumiya said. "And she is right, that I will never challenge you."

"Do not believe everything my mother says. She is a Sith, and Sith often deal in lies."

++++++++++++

That's all for now. More will be coming Monday.

Force be

4. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    very nice

5. motoish

motoish Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2005
    What to do what to do. Kill her or recruit her?

6. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I just finished a marathon read, and I have to say that this is an excellent story. Can't wait to see what happens next.

7. Ocelotl_Nesto

Oct 29, 2004
    Well done... now the question remains... will she use the sun crusher? Will Luke get past the guards...

This is getting better and better...

8. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Sil: Thanks!

motoish: Yes, quite the decision Ricar's got to make, isn't it?

Ultima1: Welcome to the fic, and let me say that I'm impressed you've taken the time to sit down and read this whole epic. The next post is ready, so you won't have to wait any longer.

Ocelotl: Oh, I'd say that she'll use it. Whether she uses it against Ricar remains to be seen, however.

Okay, here's today's post, as I say Happy Birthday to myself!

It didn't take long for them to locate the cell, and the whole time, the hairs on the back of Luke's neck were prickling. He ignored it, thinking it was just nerves. After all, he was about to take a step that was, without question, blatant treason. He only hoped that Mara would understand that he had done it not only for the future of the galaxy as a whole, but for the future of his family. He needed Mara; he simply couldn't go on without her.

"This still seems far too easy," Iella said, as if her own thoughts were echoing Luke's suspicion of a trap. "Shouldn't there be at least one guard?"

"Mara was highly placed, and even the slightest hint of treason could create problems for the Empress." Too much lately had been done without Senate approval, and the loss of Proconsul Rodan hadn't helped matters. There were a few senators who would have supported an open revolt that would put one of them on the Imperial throne. Had the attention of the Empress been focused on the Senate, those leaders would no longer be among the living. "The Empress would probably have anyone who even knew of this place sequestered or killed."

"Surprising that the Empire's managed to sustain itself, if she was really that paranoid."

"Her paranoia's kept her alive. It also has helped her uncover more than one plot against her."

"Almost makes me wonder why anybody would want the position," Iella replied.

"Stand back," Luke said, drawing his lightsaber and igniting the blade. A few quick cuts later, and the door fell towards him.

"Luke?" Leia asked, a little worse for wear, as she was still recovering from the torture session Salina had put her through.

"Where are the twins?" Mara asked, shooting to her feet. "If you've let our daughter get a hoild of them, Skywalker?"

"Relax, Mara," Luke said. "They're safe, for the moment. Right now, we've got to get you two out of here. Come on." He turned, and was just stepping out when Mara caught sight of Iella.

"And who's this?" she asked, eyes narrowing to slits.

"My name is Iella Wesseri. I'm an agent of the Rebel Alliance."

"So there was a Rebel cell on Imperial Center," Mara said. She couldn't help but gain a new respect for Leia, who'd managed to jeep Iella hidden despite the torment Salina had imposed upon her. "The Empress was right."

"We took no action against the average citizen," Iella said. "In fact, we merely tried to do what we could to curb the excesses of the Empress. Even now, my husband is on the front lines, hopefully keeping the Imperial Navy from taking things too far."

"Can we talk about this later?" Luke said, turning to the three women just in time hear a snap-hiss and see his wife's eyes widen.

"I always knew that you would turn on me someday, Skywalker," a voice said, and Luke spun again, hand dropping to the lightsaber at his belt. "Perhaps it's better that your betrayal comes here and now, so that your daughter doesn't have to kill her father," Kanti Palpatine said, raising her blade, and attacking.

"Stay behind me," Luke told the women, and stepped forward to block Kanti's strike.

++++++++++++

That's all for now. More to come on Wednesday, though it'll likely be a bit later than usual.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

9. motoish

motoish Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2005
    Gets interesting.. and Happy Birthday!!

10. Ocelotl_Nesto

Oct 29, 2004
    Happy birthday....

http://kittybirthday.ytmnd.com/

I knew it was all too easy... I hope Luke was smart enough to bring some extra sabers.

11. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    motoish: Glad you think so, and thanks for the birthday wish.

Ocelotl: Too easy is right. Luke may not have any extra sabers but...no, that would be telling.

Okay, here comes the next post!

"He can't simply expect me to simply stand by and watch," Mara said as Luke's crimson blade dropped to block the low attack from the Empress.

"It's his fight, Mara," Leia said, resting a hand on her sister-in-law's wrist. "Much as Luke needed to face Vader to achieve his status as a Jedi, now he needs to face what he is, and what he should be."

"And I should be at his side, not cowering her like a child," Mara said, green eyes blazing like twin turbolasers. "You of all people should understand that."

"I also know what I would want in this situation. He knows that by keeping us out of this, he keeps us safe. The more variables there are, the more ways the Empress can strike at him. For as much as she says she expected this, she needs to bring him down."

"And killing either of you would break him completely," Iella said. "That doesn't mean we can't act should the situation change."

"How so?" Leia asked. "We've got what, one blaster between the three of us? That's not going to do us much good."

"We have one blaster, a trained intelligence operative, two Jedi, and," Iella paused, almost for dramatic effect, "two lightsabers." She reached into the shoulder bag she'd been carrying and withdrew a pair of lightsabers. Neither looked familiar to Leia or Mara.

"Where did these come from?" Leia asked.

"Turns out that not only was Aayla Secura a Jedi of the Old Republic, but she'd also mastered a method of constructing a lightsaber in a couple hours. By the time Luke had finalized his plan for this little rescue, Aayla had new lightsaber ready. The other belongs to Aayla's current apprentice, Tahiri Veila."

"I thought she'd been taken," Leia said. "When she stopped reporting?"

"She was taken, in one of the sweeps the Empire's been using in its attempts to clean up Imperial Center. Wedge located her in a slave bazaar, and purchased her, in order to keep her safe." As she spoke, Luke rolled out from under an imperial stab, his lightsaber rising almost at the same time the distinctive voice of a blaster made itself known.

"I think we have bigger problems than where this came from," Mara said, hefting the blade Aayla had crafted. She pointed past the dueling Luke and Kanti, to where a red-garbed figure stood, a squadron of black-clad stormtroopers behind her. She was lining up her blaster on what Mara could only guess would be a clear shot at Luke's head.

"Isard," Iella said. "I'd wondered if she knew about this place."

"I'd wager that there isn't much when it comes to hidden prisons she doesn't know about," Mara muttered under her breath. "But she's not taking Luke from me. I spent too much time getting him trained." Mara stood, and then leapt, the Force carrying her past the duelists. She then stepped squarely into Isard's line of fine. "Hello, Ysanne," she said, igniting the azure blade. "If you wanted to have someone to fight, you need only have asked."

++++++++++++

We'll be hopping back to Hapan space for Friday's post!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

12. PHGS_Weyr

Apr 11, 2006
    wow the action is really hotting up! Mara Vs Iceheart, Luke Vs Kanti, sit back and enjoy the show!

Three great posts!

PHGS Weyr

13. Ocelotl_Nesto

Oct 29, 2004
    Wow!

This is getting busy... nice and exciting... Now I have to wait till Friday...

14. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    ooh battle with Iceheart, nice.

15. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    My sincere apologies for my lengthy abscense! This story has become even more tense now. I like the Luke/Kanti duel- I had a feeling it was jsut a matter of time before that happened.
    Amazing! I will definitely hang around for the conclusion of the story.
    Happy belated birthday!

16. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    PHGS: Yup, things are definitely heating up. Stick around, cuz the action's only beginning to ramp up.

Ocelotl: Glad you like what you're seeing. And Friday's here, so wait no longer.

Sil: Yes, can you imagine the little ribbons that will be left of her when Mara's through?

SithGirl: It had to happen, just as we had to see Luke vs. Palpy in RotJ. And thanks for the birthday wishes.

"You should not be aboard, milady," the commander of the flagship said. "The situation is likely to be extremely perilous."

"This is how you would have me reward the loyalty you and your crew have shown my family?" Melandra asked, turning from the viewport and the mottled sky of hyperspace. "Even given my status as an exile, you still treat me as if I were a noble of Hapes. I cannot think of any greater dishonor I could do than to send you to what might be your deaths without sharing the risk."

Nicely played, Zekk though from where he sat at the rear of the bridge of Norema's Helm. He still disagreed with Melandra's decision, and knew that even though he'd acquiesced to her course of action, she still would not consider his debt to her settled.

"Reversion to realspace in three minutes, one of the officers said.

"Alert status," the captain said. "All hands to battle stations. May the Goddess smile upon us, as we give our lives to defend the homeland we love."

"And may your service do you honor," Melnadra added, "as you have always brought honor to my House." Minutes later, the Battle Dragon reverted to realspace to find the battle already well under way.

"Deploy our fighters," the captain said. "Gunners, target at will. Let's see how these Yuuzhan Vong handle a real threat to their invasion." Zekk's eyes were scanning the skies, searching out the various Imperial warships. "By the Sith," he whispered, catching sight of the Emperor's Fist. He looked to Melandra. "That's the flagship of Ricar Palpatine."

"Good," Melandra said. "Then he shall see what Hapans are capable of when we take our destiny into our own hands." She turned to the captain. "Find the largest Yuuzhan Vong ship out there. I want Palpatine to see us destroy it."

"Milady, a large ship is not going to fall easily, especially given that these enemies of Hapes have already shown themselves a rather resilient " There was a flicker of pseudomotion at the edge of the fracas.

"What in space is that?" Zekk asked, as the small fighter began opening up on the Yuuzhan Vong. "It doesn't look like anything that's ever been used by the Empire, or the Rebels."

"It's not one of ours either," the captain said. "But whatever it is, it's definitely on our side," he added, as the newcomer stitched the side of a frigate analog, then turned on a pair of coralskippers. "And it's a good thing too, because he seems to be one hot hand with a stick."

"He's opened a comm, broad band," a comm officer said.

"Let's hear what he's got to say."

"This is Korto Vos. I come to defend life and serve the Force."

"Another Jedi?" Melandra said, turning to Zekk.

"Not one I'm familiar with," Zekk replied, closing his eyes and reaching out with the Force. "He's shutting me out."

"Why would he do that? Wouldn't it be wise to take advantage of all perspectives?"

"Unless he's got something he wants to keep secret," Zekk said. "The name Vos seems familiar, however. If I have your leave to do a records search?"

"Do what you must, love, but find something about that ship," Melandra said. "Hapes could use something like that."

++++++++++++

That's all for now. More to come Monday.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

17. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    so Zekk's gotten himself another girlfriend. he's like Jaina in canon

and interesting appearance of Korto

18. Ocelotl_Nesto

Oct 29, 2004
    Getting interesting. With any luck they wont need the Sun Crusher...

19. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Sil: Zekk acknoledges that he owes Melandra a debt, but she may be reading a bit too much into it. Glad you liked seeing Korto again, he'll actually be taking center stage tonight.

Ocelotl: But the Sun Crusher has to show up!!!!

As he dropped out of hyperspace Korto again asked himself just what it was he was doing here. He had no stake in this war, in fact, he'd brushed off the attempt to recruit him for this crazy assault. Yet now, here he was, risking both his hide and his ship in attempt to keep the Yuuzhan Vong from overwhelming the forces of Hapes and the Empire.

The very thought made him shake his head. This was, after all, the very same Empire that had made a traitor out of his father, and portrayed his mother as nothing more than some weak-minded floozy who wasn't smart enough to see what her traitorous love was making her do. And Hapes had never been a friend to Jedi, especially during the rule of Ta'a Chume. On top of that, smugglers had often left the worlds alone, simply because while the wealth was there, few survived a confrontation with the Hapan Navy to enjoy what they'd acquired.

Which brought Korto back to the original question, as the starlines shrank into pinpricks of light. The battle was already underway, flashes of light streaking between what to Korto were nothing but specks, occasionally catching the light of system's primary. Deciding that the unfamiliar appearance of his father's old ship might provoke some trigger-happy pilot into trying to shoot him, down, Korto keyed for a broad band comm transmission. "This is Korto Vos," he said. "I come to defend life and serve the Force."

"I thought you said you weren't coming, Korto," came what could only be the voice of Kyle Katarn. There was no gloating in the Kyle's voice, but then, Korto didn?t expect any. Kyle was too much of a professional for such behavior. "I'm glad to see you had a change of heart."

"Doesn't mean I'm joining your Rebellion, Katarn," Korto said. "I just don't like the idea of being turned into some mindless slave by these invaders. And I'm certainly not doing this for the Hapans. As far as I'm concerned, their attitude towards men is too close to that of the witches of Dathomir." He recalled what his father had told him about that particular group of Force-users.

"Understood," Kyle replied. "Just glad to have a little extra firepower. Which reminds me, how recently had you pulled the Skorp-ion out of storage before I showed up?"

"Recently enough to come and pull your butt out of the fire," Korto said. He certainly wasn't going to admit that he'd been tapped by an agent of Imperial Intelligence due to his somewhat unique ability to hide himself in the Force. He spun the fighter, evading the locks that a pair of Yuuzhan Vong fighters had gotten on him. At the same time, he dropped a torpedo into the path of one, holding it with the Force, then letting the built-up inertia ram it into the nose of the oncoming fighter.

"And you can dust one invader," he said to himself. Still, the trick was likely to only have limited success, especially given the fact that Korto only had so many torps to drop. "So," he said into the comm, is there any plan here, or do we just take what we can get?"

"It would have been better if we'd known you were coming," came the voice of Han Solo. "We've got an Imp admiral who's trying to run things, but right now, there are just too many factions. So I'd say take what you can get, kid, and may the Force be with you."

Kid, Korto thought darkly. I'm almost as old as you are Solo, but then, you wouldn't know that, would you? He'd lined up a shot when a sudden wave of cold swept over him. It didn't scream Sith, but it was definitely someone using the Dark Side. And where the Dark Side went, trouble usually followed.

++++++++++++

That's all for now. More will be coming on the Fourth, probably early in the day.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

20. PHGS_Weyr

Apr 11, 2006
    wow *does first dance* [face_dancing] great pair of posts so now the Hapes battle is being conducted Kanti is facing down luke and mara is playing with Iceheart, ummm i see only one louse end that needs some stomping, salina? oh and whats going to happen when the vong are beaten and Ricar turns on the rebels? *grabs sleeping bag to wait for the 4th...

PHGS Weyr

21. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    And where the Dark Side went, trouble usually followed.

Wow, things are really building to a peak. Seeing Korto was really cool. He made me think tough like Katarn. You've got many of the players all lined up here over Hapes. It'll be exciting to se how it plays out.

But I'm most intrigued wanting to know how the Luke/Kanti duel is going??? [face_thinking] I can't wait for that.

Cool! :cool: =D=

22. Ocelotl_Nesto

Oct 29, 2004
    OOh-- I liked this post. It was so good I nearly forgot about the coming confrontation with Kanti....

*grabs sleeping bag and gets in line for posting later in the week*

23. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Getting more tense by the post. You had to leave the Luke/Kanti duel right at a perfect cliffie!
    *gets another sleeping bag and hangs around waiting for the 4th*

24. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    PHGS: Let's just say that there will be a price for Salina to pay.

obiwan: Things are indeed reaching a peak. But that's almost to be expected, as this is beginning to draw near to the end. So threads need tidying, and major plots need resolution. It's all coming, and in its own good time. Glad you liked seeign Korto. I'd dropped him in earlier, just not by name.

Ocelotl: You forgot about Kanti? Shame, shame...

SithGirl: I guess I always feel that towards the end, things need to get racheted up so that they can allow that nice, slow pace at the very end.

Okay, it seems like everybody's waiting for some more of the Kanti/Luke duel. It just so happens that those two are the main players in today's post!

The lights of the corridor exploded, their housings ripped apart by the Force. Now, the only light came from the three blades, two scarlet, one azure. The azure blade was separate from the others, but the scarlet blades met, separated, and crashed together again.

"I should have known that this day would come, when you would turn on me. It seems that betrayal runs in your family," Kanti Palpatine said as her blade met that of Luke Skywalker. "But then, you know all too well the price of betrayal, don't you?"

"It wasn't I who broke the contract we'd established," Luke said, blocking her attack and taking a step back. "You promised that my sister would be unharmed if I maintained my service to the Empire. And as for betrayal being a family trait, I would say that it has run far deeper in your family than mine. After all, didn't your father betray the Republic he'd sworn to protect?"

"My father did what was necessary to preserve order!" Kanti shouted, her voice loud over the hums of the two opposing blades. "He sought to bring security to chaos!"

"By instituting an Empire built on lies and treachery? By taking those who sought to preserve life and turning them into monsters?"

"Your father fell because he was too weak to hold onto what he had," Kanti sneered. "And you followed in his footsteps, allowing yourself to be deceived. I never lied to you, Skywalker. You did that yourself. But your daughter has seen the truth. She's allowed herself to move beyond family, to see what must be done in order to secure a safe and productive society."

"And what lies have you told her? Have you promised her power? Have you promised that when order has been achieved, the atrocities will stop?"

The Empress laughed. "You're so simpleminded, Skywalker, it's almost amusing. You never have seen the larger picture, because you're too focused on trying to wipe the smut off your soul that's accumulated over the years. The atrocities can never end, because someone will always rise up in the name of some misguided ideal. There will always be those like your sister who seek to recover the "glory days of the Old Republic," thinking that a Senate will solve all the problems. But there will never be equality, unless one person shoulders the burdens. My father saw that, and I have come to understand it as well."

"Your father was a monster, and you've failed to see his mistakes. And you're right, Empress," Luke said, his face hardening. "I have been blind. Blind to the evil that you represent. But then, you knew this day was coming. And so did I. I knew that someday, this confrontation would take place here. And I was ready for it, perhaps more ready than you realize." He reached out with the Force, pulling stone loose from mortar, mortar that he had placed there years ago. "Your father was good at turning friends against each other, and I believed that someday, you would use my love for my family against me. I knew that someone I cared for would wind up down here, and I took my own measures to prevent it." A final piece came free, exposing a hidden niche. From it flew a cylinder, which dropped into Luke's outstretched hand.

"Didn't you ever wonder what happened to Obi-Wan Kenobi's lightsaber?" Luke asked, igniting the blue blade.

25. PHGS_Weyr

Apr 11, 2006
    there is absolutly no way that Iceheart got Mara more likely that Mara is chasing here through the bowels of the Imperial Palace kicking her no good but!!!

Great post, these guys have some serious trust issues.... i think they should work them out, on each other, with lightsabers!! (and a light whip lol)

Loved the Kanti/Luke dialogue absolutly hilarious, i can actually picture them waving lightsabers around and insulting each others parents lol

PHGS Weyr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.