main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Imperial Handbook - A Commander's Guide

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King of Alsakan, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That won't be the case long if the Mouse has anything to say about it.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Where did the theory that it's Legends originally come from?

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The fact that it seems to draw on a lot of Legends EU? Haven't paid the closest attention to all the previews, but so far seems to follow the vein of the earlier boxes (Jedi, Sith, bounty hunter) with plenty of EU references, so no surprise its Legends rather than actual new EU content.

Too bad they couldn't have confirmed that earlier, but its not like the new EU has really gotten going yet, or seems all that well-coordinated either. :p

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This is really unfortunate. While it means there's more potential for the content to be interesting and have that nice soup of references and retcons that we like so much, it also makes it a bit of a disappointment. I'm not going to go as far as some who say it's useless -- it's not; as the Warfare end notes continue to show, it's still fascinating to get all this stuff even when it no longer "counts."

But it's a lost opportunity. If this were canon, it would be a chance to really nail down a lot of aspects of the Empire (including the continually debated stormie thing) but that is perhaps why it had to be Legends, sadly. I don't think it's an insurmountable barrier -- if Luceno can write a novel that's canon (and supposedly in the works before Legends) then Wallace's reference book could've been canon too. But perhaps the powers that be decided for whatever reason to just release it as a grandfathered Legends project.

Valin__Kenobi, Gorefiend and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I am disappointed too. I hate to say it, but I am one of those fans that doesn't plan to spend money on Legends material, as it truly doesn't "matter". By matter, I mean the obvious fact that it is not canon and therefore nothing more than a fairy tale. A great many of us (I assume you as well, Jay) loved the EU because it was the future.

Well, now that the EU is the past and the future is the new canon, books like this feel hollow. Which is a shame, cause they could easily flesh out the Empire, Rebels, etc and not interfere with the new creative team.

--Adm. Nick

6. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Booooooooooo! People buy guidebooks to find out about the universe, not to not find out about it. I suppose legends may mean in universe legends, but that means we are reading about a legend within a story. To me that does not have the same weight.

Perhaps they are keeping things vague in fear they may trip themselves up in the future, but I prefer to live with continuity issues if it means getting more content. Thats what retconing is for :D

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    What they ought to do if they're going to keep making sourcebooks Legends is release a sourcebook that provides answers to all the unfinished Legends stories. Even if this Imperial Handbook isn't going to provide answers to Finn Galfridian or K'Kruhk, it could drop a mention of Jahan Cross or Sunber, like the way the Book of Sith cleared up a few things.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Franchise Management - Lesson 1:

Take foot.
    Insert in mouth.

Darth_Garak, vong333 and Zorrixor like this.
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Tell that to all the franchises that don't have a canon yet have guidebooks.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They may not have canon status, but neither do they have a statement saying that they don't count either!

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm still in.

Seems that I will be able to read this without having to worry about new developments from the magic kingdom taking away from the enjoyment.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    We all have our stances and the decision to make how we handle Disney's handling. However, for me, it's all fiction and if it matters to me, it matters. I've decided to disregard the canon/not canon labeling. I don't see why that should be a barrier to enjoyment of material. Yet, in the end I hope fellow fans make what ever choices they need to so they can be content. :)

Perhaps one day I may find this at a library as I won't be able to afford it, likely ever.

13. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I finally bought the BH book. Kinda forgot to look for it in book-only form. The fact that this one will be Legends guarantees that I'll be buying it if they do a book-only edition, since being a part of the new continuity would make it rather dull and mismatched to the others.

As to the fact that there probably won't be a Rebellion book to match, well... that sucks.

14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Depends on how much they'll bother with Legends stuff. Something like this has probably been in development for a while so was probably worth more to release it rather than cancel it, but you never know.

It would have been a nice opportunity to define new EU stuff, but... I kind of doubt the Story Group has actually figured out enough details for a book like this. I hope they eventually do have some big plan, but I'm not getting my hopes up. For now, I'm here for good writing, and good artwork. Though the high price tag really does make me rethink my order and now I'm debating whether to wait for just the book. The long wait until a standalone version is a bit annoying, but don't care about the big box. The Legends label is a little bit disappointing, but not surprising, not with how many EU details this type of product usually packs in.

15. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I keep hearing about the "New EU", but it's finally becoming clear there is going to be no such thing.

There's the EU, and then there's the "Disney canon", ground zero after a nuclear explosion: nothing will grow within miles for a long, long time.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  16. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Blegh.

Well, if it'll still be written well and presented well, I'll still go for it. It'd at least still look good alongside the Jedi and Sith books. And the Bounty Hunter book too, if I can ever find it.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm really torn. I basically agree with you in that I have little interest in spending money on material that doesn't matter, and the main thing is to get information on "Star Wars" -- which is basically what canon entails. There are probably exceptions to this though -- if Jason Fry released a companion volume to Warfare for some reason, I think I pretty much would have to get that. If they published the Reënlistment of Baron Fel because there magically actually was a finished comic somewhere, I might have to get that.

I am trying to decide where the Imperial Handbook comes with all of this. I've borrowed the Jedi and Sith books from people who owned non-collectors' versions and haven't read the BH book at all. But given my leanings, if I was going to buy any of these books -- it'd be the Imperial one.

So Nick I pose the question to you -- if the Imperial Handbook were instead the Alliance Almanac, and it were Legends but included all the goodies and all the art, would you get it?

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'll probably end up getting it too if it looks really good. Dan Wallace's work usually contains so many great little details there's no way the NEU would be able to contradict them all. I'll just live in my happy delirious world until some fact in the NEU contradicts the old.

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Honestly, I am torn. The previews would have to be chalk full of stuff I love, amazing art, and plenty of Ackbar and Rebel fleet stuff. Otherwise, it is just regurgitating old info. That is how I ultimately felt about FFG's Rebellion guide. Now that Legends aren't canon, the extra "goodies" like art and new info are what will sell me. Otherwise, I will pass.

--Adm. Nick

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    AdmiralNick22 Well, I wouldn't expect this to regurgitate info you'd find in the Imperial Sourcebook (or the RASB, in this hypothetical). Have you read the Jedi and Sith books, for instance? They basically existed as a format to consolidate existing info and develop it in an interesting, IU fashion. I didn't much care for certain sections of the Sith book because of tie-ins to SWTOR and TCW, but both books in general were satisfying reads that I didn't think regurgitated info at all. Remember that this is intentionally written for lore purposes, as opposed to a game book that just happens to contain lore.

And in both cases, they were full of good art.

Do folks who've read the Jedi, Sith, and Bounty Hunter books agree?

edit: lol in trying to ask Nick's opinion to reassure myself that I should get it, I am instead trying to convince Nick to get it. wtf.

AdmiralNick22 and Darth_Garak like this.
  21. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I thought the Jedi and Sith books were pretty well done. It wasn't all repeated info and it was presented in a very nice package. Expecting more of the same great art work, and I would imagine there will probably be some new Legends provided as well. I am taking a pass on the new canon books, but I couldn't resist a lore book whether it be Legends or not.

22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This is the new way things are going to be done. You guys get bent out of shape even after being told about all the changes coming. Don't ge upset, the fact is GL sold star wars and we have now new management. They do things different and should not have to follow the old ways. The Legends material do count and can't be erased, but it ended. Now we start the second phase of canon with Disney albeit now forever since the mouse will never sell star wars nor lucasfilm. They are now part of the machinery. Don't say you are not buying new stuff, cause when star wars episode 7 comes out youll all be out there. That is the new canon, the official continutation to return of the jedi. All the old characters are back. I got all the stuff but I am no longer going to just dis the new stuff. I'm going to look for it with great interest. Already the Maul: Son of Dathomir comic book and the new Rebels novel started out great and both a very good. Next in line bring in Tarkin.

23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm glad you seem fine with everything sir but not everyone is. Both are okay.

24. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm still getting this. I own the Sith and Bounty Hunters books and I'm satisfied with their contents and presentations, I'm sure as hell not going to miss the Imperial one. As for it being Legends ... last week I bought the Han Solo Brian Daley trilogy for myself and the Crispin trilogy for a friend. Haven't gotten AND yet and I think I'll wait for the paperback - hardcover takes up too much space, I only buy hardcovers from Black Library because they are thin but the star wars one have been thick as hell. I'll probably buy the Tarkin hardcover however ... then buy the paperback when it comes out and give the hardcover to a friend (I've done this before with Mercy KIll).

darthscott3457 likes this.
  25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yes, I agree. They're a nice combination of new and established material, and because the presentation is a big point (as opposed to, say, the NEGTC or something where the point is just collecting what we know on a page) there's a lot of art to enjoy and clever IU writing and just a lot of effort put in to making it a great reading experience. I would compare them to TEA and TEGTW as reading/continuity experiences. I've read all three and they're all totally worth getting and I doubt this is going to be any different.

Also, I couldn't disagree more about not wanting to spend money on Legends because it doesn't matter; Legends is all I want to spend my money on because it's the only continuity that matters to me. I've been invested in it for closing in on twenty years and I'm not about to stop caring just because Disney wants to generate Scrooge McDuck piles of money off new movies. Don't forego the opportunity to enjoy one last blast more of something you've loved for so long just because there won't be any more novel series officially in the same continuity.