main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Imperial Handbook - A Commander's Guide

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King of Alsakan, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Huh, Amazon has it listed as "Out of Print--Limited Availability" which is different from the usual warnings when their stock is running low. I don't see how it's possible the entire print run has sold through already, although maybe being Legends they just didn't print that many?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's the status I was referring to yesterday, hence my concern before I got today's shipment notice. I think they only ordered enough to satisfy their existing preorders. Once the book is out a little longer, it'll probably be available on Amazon again.

Probably not nearly as cheap as $53 though.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Got the same delay notice from Amazon this morning as well. Certainly worth the wait till Monday.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've seen that 'out of print' message on Amazon UK before for new SW books. It's usually when the US book is out but the UK one isn't yet. Once the UK version is out the message goes away.

5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well, I didn't wait for the delay. I saw the book listed as out of print-limited availability and realized that because of the legends status that not many were we going to be made. So, I cancelled my pre-order (funny, I didn't get anything in the mail) yet I ordered this back in April, but, when on ebay and there was this guy selling it for the full price $149.00. He had sold one of them and had about 56 people looking at it with three within the last 24 hours. So I disappointed those that are financial stricken and made the purchase automatically. Yeah, I didn't get my $53 price, but on the bright side this is not something that is going to be widely available, so regardless I have it. Too bad for the other guys as the individual is longer selling the item and the item ain't on ebay any more.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Damn dude. It's still available from the publisher at 99.99 ( http://store.beckermayer.com/imperial-handbook.html ) and Amazon was just waiting to receive stock before sending it out. You didn't need to pay anywhere near that much.

Anybody else looking to buy: try actual retailers before resorting to Ebay. Don't get taken advantage of by Ebay sellers.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Ben and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  7. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah if it came to that I'd buy full price from Barnes and Noble instead of giving a 200% profit to some guy who almost certainly only paid the $53 preorder price.

It literally only came out today so it's too early for this kind of run-on-the-banks panic.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I hate the people who prey on fans by buying up things and inflating prices. It's worse if those people are fans themselves.

It's not an investment. It's mean.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    Seconded. I used to be pretty heavy into SW action figure collecting (mainly POTF2 til 30AC, if that means anything to anyone), which definitely formulated my outlook on scalpers as the scum of the earth. Nothing wrong with charging more for rarities after the fact, but cleaning out a store's entire stock of a current item so you can gouge is just low. Not saying this particular seller did that, since he only charged cover price and for all I know he got it straight from the publisher, but it's absolutely a thing that happens. See also: any con freebie ever.

Slightly tangential but I work in a used bookstore and any time we put out a collectable item below the internet price, some yahoo just buys it to flip on eBay. I don't really care what you do with the merch after you leave the store, just don't talk to me about the profit you're going to make off some graphic novel you don't know the first thing about. I'd much rather it go into the hands of a kid with his ziploc of quarters who is actually going to read it. If you know a given product and you manage to catch something we missed, good for you and I mean that, but now any twerp with a smartphone can price-compare with the entire internet in five seconds and think they're putting one over on the world.

Sorry for the rant but I watched this video earlier today and reading some of the comments (mostly incredulous that anyone would pay that much for a card: even if you don't know anything about MTG, are you so unfamiliar with the concept of collectability?) got me thinking along these lines.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Shipment updated to Thursday!

The time for victory is now.

blackmyron likes this.
  11. PhantomVX

PhantomVX Jedi Master

Apr 25, 2010
    I preordered it last week. But I became concerned yesterday when Amazon listened it as 'Out of Print--Limited Availability', so I contacted the customer service and made an inquiry about whether if it affects the status of my order or not. I got a response from the Amazon, and it looks like I have to wait a bit longer until they receive new inventories. But hey, they upgraded my shipping preference to one-day shipping for free, and I could wait a few more days or so.

The response I got from them.
    "Hello,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience you've experienced with this order. That's definitely not what we want our customers to experience.

I checked the availability of the "Star Wars: Imperial Handbook Deluxe Edition" and see that we're currently waiting to receive more inventories. At this time, we're unable to provide an estimated date when we can obtain more stock. Rest assured though that we're working closely with our suppliers so we can get the stocks as quickly as possible.

Please try to understand we have automated order processing system for items. We ship the items according to the quantity we received from our suppliers. I apologize for the frustration this may cause by this issue.

Considering this situation as a valuable feedback, I've forwarded this issue to our appropriate department so this will be accounted for and will not happen again--I know they'll want to hear about your experience. However, we won't be able to release the outcome of the investigation. We're aware that our choice of delivery services reflects on our business as a whole.

I want to make sure your order gets to you faster once we have stock. To help make up for the delay, I've upgraded the shipping method to One-Day Shipping at no extra charge.

Again, I'm truly sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,
    <Name of Amazon rep redacted>"

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Man, I knew that I kind of jumped the gun on this one, and unfortunately made that dude a big profit. But, I've collected most if not everything in print since 1991, and would hate to see this go out and have someone charge over $300 for the book. I remember back then I paid $500 for the West end Games Special Forces book and I got message from the guy that I was competing against....asking me why would I pay such an big price for the book and I replied, to him that this stuff would be hard to get and guess what from that day forward I haven't seen it again sold. I can't take that chance and now that we got this new canon baloney, I don't want lose something that is good. I'd chuck this one off as a loss, but a minor gain. I'm telling you guys if you want to get the Legends stuff don't wait cause Disney aint going to be printing all that stuff so that it can out gain there own. It doesn't make fianacial sense.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  14. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Damn, I wish I had heard about this sooner.

Evil.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Bear in mind that the version being talked off is the deluxe edition in all likelihood, a cheaper, mass-market one will follow.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah. And like I said, supplies aren't that limited: you can still find the Vault edition of Jedi Path at regular retail. If you just want the book and not the goodies, wait for the plain edition.

Nice going with the one-day shipping though. I should've said something so I got the upgrade. But I just have to wait one more day, so whatever.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

17. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I've seen the fancy edition of Jedi Path on bookdepository so no doubt this will be easy to find as well.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Had a chance to look through this. It's interesting -- there are some aspects that make me feel that they may have tried to make it fit the new canon (references to a thousand year republic, an illustration of an officer wearing the same getup as Kallus, etc). But the publisher indicated it's Legends, so that's that.

-- chapters: intro by Colonel Wulf Yularen, Navy chapter by Admiral Conan Antonio Motti, Army by High General Cassio Tagge, stormtroopers corps by some random stormie, and a section on Imperial R&D by Tarkin.

The written comments -- in the first chapter at least -- are by Mothma, Leia, Wedge, Luke, Rieekan, and Madine. The signatures of the first two exactly match their WEG signatures.

Speaking of WEG, first chapter discusses Intel and ISB at length including their subgroups both using old WEG and new WEG-like terminology. There are NewsNet references (including several Networks mentioned by name). My kingdom for this to be canon! But alas.

No mention of the Ruling Council, naturally. But I'm not bothered -- this isn't canon!

The art is great. There's this wonderful section on academies that describes many of the famous ones (adding some new details) and this great full page art of the ceremonial walkway at Raithal. There's also apparently propaganda posters throughout but the effect is ruined because they're tiny thumbnails. They really should've included them as full-size goodies like the other books. The only poster I saw so far was one featuring two Imperial officers -- a navy dude and a female stormtrooper officer.

I've only gotten to chapter one so far but it was entertaining. The book is basically only about the military -- little about the court or government. But I guess that's what Tarkin is for.

Oh and the only goodies are this filmsy notecard and the Imperial medal. I enjoy the medal -- it's bigger than I thought -- but the quantity of stuff is disappointing. Maybe they felt the hefty medal was more premium than the stuff in the other deluxe editions? Either way, if you don't care about the medal than it might be worth it to wait for the book-only edition. If you're a Loyalist like me, then go for it.

And AdmiralNick22 if they ever make a Rebel version, you should maybe get it. It might even be canon next time.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Any cool art that has Rebel stuff I like? Any mentions of Mon Calamarian stuff?

--Adm. Nick

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So far, you'd find the most interest in Mothma and Leia's written notes contrasting the government they wish to build with the Empire and the Old Republic.

edit: Oh, and there's a section where Yularen is telling the commanders who read the handbook not to be fooled by public announcements that the suspension of the Senate is temporary. He makes it clear to them that the Senate is being swept away for good.

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The extended reference to the Battle of Turkana was a nice surprise - any more from the early Lucasarts games?

22. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    So jealous. I certainly could use some good reading material right now.

So if the patterns of the jedi, sith and BH books can be noted, can anyone take a guess as to when this will come out solo?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Couple of Rebel Assault II references -- an entry on the TIE Phantom, as well as a little one-pager by Grand Admiral Batch telling the reader about how to deal with cloaking devices. They mention the Dreighton Nebula used to have materials for cloaking shields but it doesn't any longer, and access is restricted.

Chapter 2 has lots of fleet junkie stuff. There's like a 4 page Imperial order of battle, that goes into a lot more detail than the Imperial Sourcebook did. A lot of new formations -- for example, a "Star Destroyer line" (an ISD is considered its own line) -- or elaborations on old ones, such as the amount of ships supporting a 6-ISD "Systems Force" (about 400). ISDs are the Empire's primary battleship, but there are larger dreadnaught designs on the way. The 19km, 5000-gun SSD figure is used (with a side comment about Mothma noting that if the Alliance were ever to capture one, they wouldn't have enough people to crew it!).

There's also a page by Ozzel on naval tactics. He mentions a couple of ancestors and what they're famous for, and then comments about how smart he is. There's a scrawl on the bottom where Han says he's not gonna make fun because Ozzel makes it too easy.

Paging through some of the other stuff, it looks like one of the artworks is an oversector map and another one is a set of pictures for the Empire's most wanted.

24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Mothma's distain for the Executor class is consistent with the EU. I love it. I'd bet the smaller Super-class was pushed because Mothma would have raised an even louder fuss in the Senate about the real Executor being too large and wasteful.

Star Destroyer as it's own line and the 400 ships to support a Systems force sounds a lot like the old WEG numbers, actually.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Did they keep the fleet-organisation of ship - line - squadron - force - fleet - sectorgroup from the Imperial Sourcebook and did they go into the organisation of the Navy above the sectorgroup-level (formations like DeathSquadron or BlackSwordCommand)?
    How does the book deal with the concept of "augmentation"?
    Are there details on supply and logistics of the Imperial Armed Forces? How much crew does an Executor-class have?