main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Imperial Handbook - A Commander's Guide

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King of Alsakan, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I just thought of the same thing which was why I thought of this thread again...

It's certainly going to be interesting -- even moreso than whatever JJM or Luceno can fit into a novel -- as this is a reference book, so... what are they going to reference? I know the point's been made already that even if they do mention a guy called Sate Pestage, maybe he won't turn out to come from Ciutric, or maybe he'll be a young man, and maybe an imbecile that works as Palpatine's head chef, who knows. Though I'm inclined to not be that cynical when they do throw in a name drop as, in the end, for all its complaints, TCW was more respectful than it wasn't when it cameoed somebody -- sure, it walked over continuity and stuff didn't quite reflect what people wanted, but it's not like Quinlan Vos turned out to be a female Wookiee bounty hunter.

So... maybe this the Imperial Handbook will end up being even more of a renaissance than we thought, and enshrine all that good stuff all over again?

What I could see changing though: I mentioned a few pages back how I was wondering how they could include stuff about the Inquisitors or Starkiller or all the other openly "Sith" stuff that the Empire gets stamped with nowadays...? Well, previously we had that problem of how an ordinary commander's handbook would know any of that... but now I'm not going to be at all surprised if suddenly we discover that the whole Sith thing wasn't as secretive as the EU had made it out to be, and that Rebels and NuEU now makes Darth Sidious a lot more, well, Darth Sidiousey.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, and we have no basis to complain or compare it with now. Perhaps everyone knew that the Emperor was a Sith all along! After all, Jerjerrod was afraid of the Emperor in ROTJ -- maybe he knew the Emperor was Sith!

I have to think Wallace is gonna try to preserve what he can, or whatever they'll let him. But it's all in his hands now. He's basically our only hope, and whatever he says is going to end up being the definitive story... for good or for ill. Let's hope it's for good. Let's hope he takes a lot of pages out of WEG's book.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Somehow doubt Motti would risk such a big lip if it where.

4. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Honestly, I always half expected Lucas to cut Motti's line in the blu-ray edition or something.

In the context of the OT, it certainly made sense, but ever since Lucas moved the PT closer? I've always largely just dismissed it as something nobody apart from we canonphiles even thinks about that much.

Right now, I'm fully expecting this Inquisitor character in Rebels to be waving his lightsaber and Sith powers around everywhere. I also am now afraid my joke about the Jedi Temple being the Imperial Palace might turn out to be more than just a really bad mix up and could turn out to be the case in Rebels (it'd be an iconic image for TV audiences, after all...).
    Yeah, Jerjerrod was what went through my mind when I thought of it. They could very easily change it so we're meant to think he was actually scared of Palpatine frying him with lightning.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm actually a little hopeful about the Imperial Palace. The Palace as we all mostly know it is a McQuarrie sketch, and Rebels has from the outset said they would base their style on McQuarrie. Combined with the shying away from Prequel motifs, it's entirely possible that we'd actually get to see the real Palace (or formerly real, I guess) in Rebels.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  6. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Help us Dan, you're our only hope!

7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Well, actually, that would be referencing... something else.

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Sorry for the sort of off-topic question, but TCW mentioned "fall of the old Republic" once or twice. The Death Watch mentioned looting that black lightsaber from the Jedi Temple, I forget which Jedi but it was one in a starfighter mentioned there haven't been battles like this since the "old" Republic, so just wondering if this book could classify what counts as "old Republic" means. In the old EU, pre-Ruusan from 1000 BBY would be the easiest to separate between old and modern Galactic Republics, but... yeah, no more Ruusan (except as a place for a Separatist listening post).

Just thought it was odd, as before TCW it was always just "the Republic", then TCW starting throwing old Republic around, when TOR has that term already, and then during the New Republic-era books Old Republic meant the one that Palpatine corrupted. Though now there's no more New Republic either. Oh well, guess it depends on how much old canon they'll allow in the Commander's Guide. Sometimes they don't pay attention, sometimes they quibble over tiny details, its hard to tell, especially with the new continuity starting up.

Valin__Kenobi and MercenaryAce like this.
  9. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    How did I miss this news?

DO WANT.

10. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    ... hmm. Let's hope this preserves the best of the old while setting up the new in a positive fashion.The price tag is off-putting, though. :(

(The mention of a foreword by Luke is ... promising. Still, I'd like it to end with a chapter by Pellaeon, confirming that the Remnant still exists, even if it's belligerent.)

Revanfan1 and darthscott3457 like this.
  11. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    On top of the Imperial political structure, I am curious to see how ship lengths and total ship numbers will shake out of this new continuity. I assume this book would present some technical data in there, and be the first one to do so.

I can't imagine the length of an ISD changing. Wonder if they will work in the production run of 25,000 as well. I think they will stick with that or sadly go even lower. As I mentioned before since its the same authors from the DS manual I assume they will keep those diameters for the DS1 and micro-machine DSII ;)

I would be shocked if the Star Dreadnought Dreadnought Super Star Destroyer Executor will still come in at 19,000 meters. Maybe fall back to 17.6 km, though from all of the past controversy and model lengths I wouldn't be surprised if it went lower.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I feel bad for all the WTS folks too. I never got anything picked (and I really wanted to win Greejatus) but man, I'd hate to have a piece of canon and then lose it like that. :(

But hey, you had that day in the sun, right? More than most of us can say.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  13. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Oh sure. I mean, I've got the CSWE, which has the entry printed in it verbatim, so that's good enough for me. That and a fairly robust in Darth Plagueis. Even if it's not canon, it's a published work, I'm happy to have contributed.

Oh, who am I kidding. I won't be satisfied until Greejatus is in a Rebels scene that emulates this:

jSarek and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Oh my, oh my, you've definitely hit on something now.

That silly Mouse, they really didn't think through the comsequences of throwing everything out did they? [face_laugh]

Let the SSD length war live once more! We shall bury the Imperial Jedi Temple Palace beneath an avalanche of measurements!!!

WMIRTUTSF and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Now that the issue has been brought up, I'm suddenly ecstatic at the possibility of everything Curtis Saxton canonized during his "running the asylum" period getting thrown out.

MercenaryAce and Iron_lord like this.
  16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I'm not. I will be glad to see the 8Km Super-class nonsense go away though.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ugh.

can we just, like, not?

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I can imagine someone saying "Reference books? That just reference the movies and nothing else? They carry through."

19. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Hmph. My biggest gripe is how much damage this is likely to do to TEGTW. People - untold numbers of people - worked hard on that book. They deserve respect.

And, for the love of Notron, can we please not reopen the gates of Chaos that contain the ship length arguments? :oops:

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    The awesomeness of the EGTW (and the other recent stuff like Atlas) are one of my biggest fears at the moment too... :(

I mean, just last week I was recommending those to the new posters who said they were just getting into the books... now I feel kinda bad if they went out and bought them, as at least they could still enjoy stuff like TTT as a story, even if its rebooted, but the reference books do kinda seem a bit more pointless.

At the very least, at least stuff like TEGTW and Atlas or Book of Sith are still more "story-ish" in their in-universe approach, so can still be enjoyable. But the Essential Reader's Companion, or any of the other pure reference books....
    It could be worse...

We could be debating whether the Endor Holocaust now happened after all. [face_laugh]

darthscott3457 likes this.
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't actually care about the ship lengths, I just detest Saxton.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

How about ones like the Visual Dictionary, or the newer ones, that focus only on the movies?

I'm wondering what their status will be.

23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    If they do keep in any of the existing stuff on the Imperial advisors, a guy named Sate Pestage who's Grand Vizier is probably most likely to stay, given that that originated from the cut ESB scenes.

On the other hand, I am willing to bet that the Coruscant uprising at the end of the ROTJ special editions will be taken to show that the Empire is immediately dissolved after Endor.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    What about the book this thread's about? Is the Imperial Handbook now a Legend or is it 'cannon' as it's not even out yet? (I think?)

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That reminds me about the old canon/cannon gag except this time, it's canon that has gone boom!

Revanfan1 and Zorrixor like this.