main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Imperial Military/Government Ranking (help plz)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jag_Fel, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jag_Fel

Jag_Fel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2002
    Please help me out, I'm trying to figue out how the higher ranks of the Imperial Military/Government work, I've put examples next to them, for the ones I know.

Ok, so far as I know it goes:

Commander Baron Fel
    Captain??
    Colonel??
    General??
    Rear-Admiral??
    Vice-Admiral Palleon
    Prince-Admiral??
    Admiral Daala
    High-Admiral Teradoc
    Grand Admiral Thrawn
    Moff Disra
    Grand Moff Tarkin
    Grand Vizer Sate Pestage

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "moff
    A title given to Imperial military commanders who ruled certain sectors of the Empire. Moffs reported to the grand moffs, who controlled groupes of sectors. [ISB, SWN]"

3. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    A new title is also held by Pellaeon, which is "Suprem Commander"

4. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Commander Baron Fel
    Captain??
    Colonel??
    General??
    Rear-Admiral??
    Vice-Admiral Palleon
    Prince-Admiral??
    Admiral Daala
    High-Admiral Teradoc
    Grand Admiral Thrawn
    Moff Disra
    Grand Moff Tarkin
    Grand Vizer Sate Pestage

Prince-Admiral and High Admiral were both sham titles used by warlords. They aren't Imperial ranks.

5. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Check out this link:
    http://www.emperors-imperial-army.8m.com/EIA/Index.htm

6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Chissdude...
    "new title is also held by Pellaeon, which is "Suprem Commander""

It's actually not new at all. It is however, rare enough that only two people including Pellaeon have held the title. However, Pellaeon is in good company. Pellaeon's successor as Supreme Commander of the Imperial Forces was none other than Luke Skywalker himself.

The position of Supreme Commander seemingly trumps all other positions - it's sort of a "five-star General" with command and access over all military resources.

7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    "High Admiral were both sham titles used by warlords. They aren't Imperial ranks. "

Actually ,you're wrong. Grand Moffs also have the title of High Admiral according to the Imperial sourcebook.

8. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Admiral and High Admiral are not sham ranks.

The use of them by warlords is no different than Thrawn's use of Grand Admiral while a warlord.

9. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    But Thrawn was officially promoted to GA, whereas the others assumed titles.

Go here

10. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Not really. All of them had been promoted to their position.

Take the best example of a warlord we have - Zinsj. Zinsj did not merely call himself Admiral. He was promoted to the position like Thrawn was promoted to his position.

The situation is entirely the same. In fact, it was Palpatine himself who granted Zinsj his very own Super Star Destroyer, The Brawl - in fact one of the first such vessels ever produced.

Thrawn like the other warlords merely kept their title after "going rogue" outside of the true Imperial Command structure.

11. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    A Moff is at the top in the chain of command over a sector, responsible for all political and military forces and actions that take place in his sector and he is only responsible to Palpatine.

If a sector is part of an Oversector (more than one sector) there might be no Moff, but a Grandmoff in control or the Moff is responsible to the Grandmoff.

A Highadmiral is the military commander of the Moffs naval forces. Its not a shamtitle, but part of the imperial commandstructure.
    A Highadmiral is the highest Fleetrank in a sectorforce.

Thrawn was a Grandadmiral and held the title imperial warlord in the sense of an honoury-title. And he wasn´t a rogue, since he got commander over all imperial forces by the remaining imperial Moffs when he returned from the unknown regions (EC).

Zinj was a mere Admiral, who went rogue.

12. HALCYONERA

HALCYONERA Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2001
    Ghenis12, I thought Luke held the title of Supreme Commander before Pellaeon, would he not be Pellaeon's precessedor not his successor?

13. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    The Military rankings seem fine to me, but what of the political ranks.

Over Sector: Grand Moff
    Sector: Moff
    System: ???
    Planet: Governor
    City: Prefect

Is this right?

Also there is Supreme Moff, but that was never awarded to anyone since the Emperor died before he could appoint someone to that rank.

Also what about the ranks of the ISB and the Imperial Intelligence? There are very few known ranks.

14. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Halcy...
    Yeah - switched Luke and Pellaeon.

Fteik...
    Thrawn was a rogue like the other rogues, because at the time, Palaptine actually controlled the true Imperial forces.

15. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    No, Thrawn wasn´t a rogue, since he was put into his position by the "rightful" rulers of the empire of that time. Are they to blame, if their crazy overboss decides to stay hidden in the core?

Thrawn didn´t promote himself to the leader of all or parts of the imperial forces like Zinji, Krennel or Teradoc.

16. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    There was one rightful ruler of the Empire at the time - Palpatine. And Palpatine didn't put Thrawn in the TTT position. It's one Thrawn took upon himself, just like the other warlords did. Thrawn's no different from the others.

And, just because he may not have been aware he was a rogue doesn't make him any less so.

17. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Wasnt Zinji a self-proclaimed Grand Admiral? And Tharwn was definetly officaily one, I remember Mara was at the party or whatever.

PS-Is um, Pellaeon a Grand Admiral?
    Oh yeah, who is the Imperial ruler? Is it Pellaeon?

18. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    I suggest you read the Essential Chronology again, Ghengis. On page 188 it says: (rough translation) ... the impressed Moffs, Regional Governours and other political leaders were that impressed and gave Thrawn practical control over the empire."

Further it says: ...Thrawn strenghtened the LOYAL imperial forces...

At that time Palpatine wasn´t ruler of that part of the empire, since he hesitated to take command (latin: Imperium) of it.

Just admit, Ghengis, you don´t like the guy.

19. Vex

Vex Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2002
    Okay, real quick, I'm new at this, my name is Vex, I work as a BetaReading at the FanFiction here on TFN. Jag_Fel, you may want to contact me for further information on the ranks of the Imperial military and government.
    Simply put, I am a militayr historian, Imperial militarian historian, and specialize in the Empire (I really do not like the New Republic/Rebellion and Jedi/Sith).
    Okay, Jag_Fel, read this:

The Imperial Military is divided into three sections, the Navy, Army, and Fighter (Force). Each one of these serives has its own ranking system (like every armed military force in our world), therefore the ranks of Colonel or General do NOT fall under or above ranks like Ensign or Admiral or Squadron Leader and Marshal. Unforuntantly some ranks are repeated and this causes confusion for some people. HEre is a list of the Imperial military ranks (not inlcuding enlisted or warrant officer ranks, only officer ranks):

Army:
    (no cadet ranks)
    Second Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant
    Captain
    Major
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Colonel
    High Colonel
    Brigadier (General)
    Major General
    Lieutenant General
    General
    High General
    Surface Marshal

?Grand General (one Grand General seen or spoken of in Force Commander)

Navy
    Midhsipman/Ensign (cadet ranks)
    Acting Sub-Lieutenant
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant Commander
    Commander
    Captain
    Line Captain
    Commodore
    Rear Admiral
    Vice Admiral
    Admiral
    Fleet Admiral
    High Admiral

Grand Admiral

Fighter
    (no cadet ranks)
    Pilot Officer
    Flying Officer
    Flight Lieutenant
    Squadron Leader
    Wing Commander
    Group Captain
    (no rank in between officer and command officers)
    (Air) Commodore
    Vice Marshal
    (Air) Marshal
    Chief Marshal
    Force Marshal
    ?High Marshal (never seen in STAR WARS)

?Grand Marshal (never seen in STAR WARS)

Moffs and Grand Moffs (and Supreme Moffs), are both civilians and military commanders. A Moff commands a Sector and a Grand Moff commands an Oversector (what a Supreme Moff commands, I do not know, this is an existing rank in the Empire, but never been awarded to anyone). If a governor of a Sector is a civilian, he is made a Moff and commands all the military forces, Army, Navy, and Fighter, in the Sector along with the resources and so forth. Civilian Moffs have the verbal address of "Your Excellancy" (as presented in Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future). Military Moffs are personnel who were promoted to Moff because the Emperor took a shine to them and have the verbal address of "Commander".
    Grand Moffs are probably the same only govern an Oversector. I am not sure about their verbal address, but can be either military of civilian.
    (no true clue about Supreme Moff)
    Moffs and Grand Moffs (and Supreme Moffs) can NOT give orders to Grand Admirals (and ?Grand Generals? and ?Grand Marshals?) because these military personnel were directly under the Emperor.

Other ranks, like Supreme Admiral, Superior General, etc. are created by warlords to make themselves sound higher and in more authroity and command the next warlord.

Prince Admiral is a rank probably only used on certain worlds for certain people who are royal Princes and Admirals at the same time.

Jag_Fel, I hope I have answered at least some of your questions. Please contact me at Maverick9580@hotmail.com for more help and information on the Empire and refer to the STAR WARS Technical Commentaries site for more help (www.theforce.net/swtc).

By the way, Thrawn could not be a rouge because he commanded his own fighting forces and as a Grand Admiral could do so and do what he wished with his forces because he answered directly to the Emperor, unlike other military commanders, who only answered to their superiors. Since the Emperor died, Thrawn would assume command of his forces and use them for the common good of the Empire, which he obviously did. He attempted to reenstate the Empire. Imperial law states that once people like Sate Pestage and Isard are not in command, military law takes over and the highest commander was Thrawn, a TRUE Grand Admiral of four

20. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Fteik...
    "On page 188 it says: (rough translation) ... 'the impressed Moffs, Regional Governours and other political leaders were that impressed and gave Thrawn practical control over the empire.'"

Palpatine was in control of the Empire and gave no such authority to the Moffs, Regional Governors and other political leaders. In fact, Palaptine specifically witheld resources from Thrawn because the Emperor generally regarded him as a warlord - an expendable and treasonous SOB, not the ruler of the Empire.

Vex,
    Thrawn was not acting under Palaptine's authority in TTT - he was acting on his own rogue authority.

21. Vex

Vex Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2002
    Had Palpatine thought that sort of thing, he wouldn't have awarded Thrawn with the rank of Grand Admiral. He sent him to the Unknown Regiosn because of a political battle and because he was an alien (forget old Emperor's ways of being?). If you knew anything about Imperial military and government authorities, you would realize that Palpatine was trying to keep Thranw secret and away in the Unknown Regions, leaving Thrawn to run his own show FOR Palpatine. So what you say makes Thrawn look better than any other commander because he was working seperatly and did NOT need orders. Palpatine told him what to do and thus Thrawn did it. Now answer me this, who commanded the Empire while Palpatine was DEAD? (Yes accept it, DEAD.) Now, the Essential Chronology is not ALL that realiable either for it contradicts itself and, if you TRULY did read it, it says that everything from after Endor to Palpatine's return was done in accordance to Palpatine's wishes.

By the way, Jag_Fel created this board to discuss the Imperial government/military ranks, NOT TO DISCUSS WHETHER OR NOT THRAWN WAS A ROUGE OR NOT. E-MAIL ME AT MAVERICK9580@hotmail.com TO CONTINUE OUR DISCUSSION/ARGUMENT, but don't waste another's board space here.

Something else?

22. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Face it Genghis, you hate all of Zahns characters.

23. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    Um, Grand Admiral Thrawn received his rank from the Emperor himself - just as all the other grand admirals had.

As far as I know, most, if not all of the Imperial warlords at Admiral Daala's conference in Darksaber were self-proclaimed except for Vice Admiral Pellaeon and, of course, Admiral Daala.

24. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Yeah remember that senf-proclaimed Grand Admiral Harsk(spelling), anyone?

25. Vex

Vex Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2002
    Chissdude, Warlord_Ken, are you guys arguing with me or helping me out? I hope you're helping me out, cause your arguments sure would help me out in my argument against this anti-Zahn characters guy. By the way, why do you seem to dislike Zahn characters, Genghis (however it is spelled)? Can you not accept that Palpatine died? Are in denial? I understand Palpatine did do a great job at retuniting the Empire for a little while, but Thrawn did regain ALOT of territory on his own without stealing it from an already running Republic. Palpatine did not truly gain anything, but only took over what was already his and changed the law. Now Thrawn may be considered a warlord because he was not functioning the role of Supreme Imperial Commander (Pellaeon's current, full title), but was the Emperor around to say, "No, you may not take over the Empire, Thrawn, and run it successfully until, like me, a trusted person kills you." See my point? Now, what else have you got for me Genghis?

Hey, Jag_Fel, I hope what I have written has helped you out along withe everyone else who was interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.