main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Imperial Racial & Gender Barriers in the New Rebels Era Continuity

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Robimus, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm going to kick the Gundark Nest a little with this one, but I'd like to see how people feel.

Rebels & New Dawn Spoilers below:

To me the original Empire always represented the worst things about humanity, it was all kinds of evil rolled into one big demonic package. It is a simplistic view to be certain, but something about that worked really well. Now the EU made subtle changes to this over the years, making the Empire a slightly more inclusive organization - but still maintaining the general illusion of a group who discriminated against pretty much everyone minus a few exceptional cases.

I find the diversity of the Imperial cast in a New Dawn(plus clips we have seen from the soon to air Rebels series) to be a departure from what is presented in the Original Trilogy. There we don't see a single Imperial female or a single Imperial representing any group beyond those with a light skin tone.

I would have preferred to see lead in work moving towards the OT keep to that form on some level. Sort of showing how diverse things were during the Old Republic, leading up to the fall of the Republic, and then how much things changed as the biased, white, human centric Empire tightened its grasp.

Now, suddenly, the Empire is a positive example of ethnic and gender fairness - potentially more advanced than we even are in our own society(if the reports of predominantly female Stormtrooper squads are accurate).

Of course Science fiction has often held to the ideals that society should have, nothing wrong with that, but to me this new direction represents a retroactive political correctness that is really not needed.

Part of the point of the Empire is that they were wrong, they were not the nice people representing racial & gender equality - that was what the Rebellion was about from a visual perspective(although admittedly it didn't come across that great either, but it did go out of its way to show Lando as a general and Mon Mothma as its political leadership)

The Empire didn't have any of those things on screen and I've always felt that was a deliberate bit of story telling from George Lucas. Now that seems to have been tossed out of the moving Star Destroyer.

Or was/is my perception completely self created and never a notion that anyone else had?

2. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    The Empire being randomly sexist always came off to me as a really lame and over the top way of making them more evil. I'm glad it's gone.

And are you suggesting that the empire also discriminated against dark skinned humans? Because that's just dumb. They've got plenty of alien races to oppress.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I've actually never considered this before, but reading your post, I can completely buy it. After all, Lucas was writing this in the early/mid 70s. The Rebels are supposed to embody the hopeful countercultural/protest culture of the time, the Empire is the conservative establishment epitomized by Nixon. It's perhaps an unusually subtle thing to expect from later-day Lucas but I do like the interpretation.

I guess to expand from the point of the OP slightly, I do hope that the new EU doesn't hold to the "Empire are xenophobes" trope the EU went with because as a kid watching the OT, I honestly never got the impression the Empire was any more pro- or anti-alien than the Rebels.

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    There was nothing EU wise to support Imperial discrimination against non white people.....

But, visually, just look at the original trilogy and tell me how many people of color and how many women you see representing the Empire on the screen?

xezene likes this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think the feel and look of SW is mainly of the time it was done. I have zero problem not seeing many female characters. I do wish there were more aliens, however. The Empire is basically however you perceive it. Many feel it's just the image of 'evil' and that it's not 'inclusive'. Okay, it wasn't on screen but that may not strictly be 'storytelling' but the era.

For many years now I have seen that Star Wars is very narrow and stilted in what it attempts to convey and I don't buy it. I don't believe the Empire is irredeemable as some seem too nor do I hold the Jedi or Rebels are righteous.

Personally I don't think Political Correctness belongs in Star Wars at all. Tell it as the artists envision it don't cater to special interests.

Havoc123 likes this.
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, it's certainly not unique to you. But I've said all along that I'm pretty sure Lucas's actual intention in making all the Imperials white human men was to present them, in contrast to the (ROTJ) Rebels, as homogenous - not to imply that they were literally discriminatory against anyone else. The "LU" choosing to make the Empire anti-alien and sexist always struck me as a misinterpretation, and I agree with Kablob that the latter was kind of stupid - note that it seems to have been seriously dialed down if not outright retconned during recent years. And the PT, with its depiction of a cosmopolitan and apparently prejudice-free galaxy, made it really hard to believe in from an in-universe perspective. So I'm glad that it's being largely undone, because I think it was mostly a mistake.

7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I always had the conception that discrimination against other ethnic groups within your own species would cease to make sense once you meet another sentient species. If anything, the "natural" reflex would be to strengthen the bonds between all Humans (regardless of the skintone), and the remaining discrimination tendencies would shift toward the aliens. Then again, it's just my feeling.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd be inclined to suggest it makes the Empire more sinister, not less.

Likely won't have the book for a week though.

9. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Frankly, the lack if females in the imperial military is more because it was made in the 1980s than any overarching message about the Empire. Heck, there were rebel female pilots who were cut out of the Battle of Endor because they were worried about how audiences would react.

10. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Robimus: I absolutely 100% agree.

It's a classic social engineering tactic of regimes to stir up divisions between people, and it doesn't matter what those divisions are because the leadership isn't doing it because of some particular ideology; we're not talking about the KKK here. No, stirring up hatred of any sort gives people motivation to seek power and dominance, so if a dictator can tell the people who serve him, "You're like me. You're strong. We're better than everyone else, and we should show them by dominating them," then that dictator is giving his servants a reason to be personally invested in their service. Otherwise, the dictator is relying on his ideology to keep them in line, but that ideology is self-serving, and it does not inherently appeal to the masses of people necessary to run an Empire. When you take that hatred out of the equation, you're just asking them to exist as a part of a hateful regime, but not be hateful themselves. It's not believable. Asking these soldiers to serve the Empire without giving them anything, without giving them a reason to justify the nasty, prejudiced parts of themselves (as an easy alternative to the idealistic, judgmental world outside that regime who tells them they should make an effort to be better people), is DRASTICALLY less realistic. What you're asking for when you ask for diversity in the Empire is that people just are. Just people walking around on screen, with no explanation for their complicity in this visibly-horrible regime.

But this generation wants social revolution without having to get their hands dirty. They want change, but they want it so indiscriminately that they're going so far as to want this "everybody's a good little happy person" form of diversity in their bad guys, which completely neuters any meaning those bad guys present, any legitimate representation of actual, believable oppressors. It's nothing short of a menace and it stymies the power of art---even simple art for young people like this.

11. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    It's just visual shorthand. The Empire looks like Nazis, therefore they're evil. I don't think we were supposed to believe that the Empire actually had a policy of literal racism. Sexism is more believable but seems beside the point.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Imperial sexism has always been silly and pointless to me, and Imperial racism (that is, racism within the human species) exists only as a reflection of the failings of the Star Wars EU.

The notion that the Empire is evil and therefore must represent every evil trait that any evil organization or group has ever used ever is so simplistic that it suggests a complete lack of intelligence on the part of the audience, because the Empire might not be recognized as evil unless it does everything wrong that everybody else did wrong.

As Imperial sexism is a product of the EU, I'll observe that it makes little sense IU. The Empire is supposedly human Core Worlds centric -- drawing to an idealized view of the Old Republic and galactic civilization before the aliens ruined it all, or whatever. It draws these traits from its various historical inspirations, including fascism of the 1930s. However, the Old Republic never observed a distinction between different groups of humans, male or female, white or anything else. This is something the Empire invented out of thin cloth, apparently, to please.... who, exactly? People say that the Empire must be sexist because they're space Nazis, except during WWII everybody was sexist: Axis and Allies alike. What does it evoke exactly except apparently reproducing sexism in another media from the modern time?

Star Wars isn't set in the 1940s, it's inspired by the 1940s. If you think Star Wars needs misogyny just to "stay true to its sources" then that makes me sad.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Very interesting post, Jello. I agree in part. However I also found the Space Nazi label pretty basic in itself along with the insistence of many the Empire is racist or sexist.

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Very interesting points, Robimus [face_thinking]

I suppose there's pros and cons. Making the bad guys embody positive social demographics does, like you say, make them less, well, bad. On the other hand, though, does hiding them behind that politically correct veneer communicate a more contemporary message: that even when the monster wears a human face, he is still a monster?

It's a bit like Palpatine and Sidious. The former EU Empire was akin to Sidious, being very outward about what was wrong with it; whereas this NEU Empire wears the external goodly facade of Palpatine, and plays up the "good" parts that appeal to GrandAdmiralJello and other Imperial fans, with it appearing to be a nice, inclusive institution-- but hiding its wrongs. So, yeah, I enjoy both depictions of the Empire, but can maybe see why the NEU's Empire could prove more relevant to today's climate, with threats facing people today often arising from within their own societies, and no longer as black-and-white as the days when it was just about Nazis or Russians.

It'll be interesting, actually, to see how the Rebel characters who began in the Imperial are portrayed this time. After all, Luke wanted to join the Imperial Academy originally, so the Empire must have "looked good" enough to him.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And to add, I think using misogyny and racism in fiction is only useful if it's being used to combat misogyny and racism. If this fictional world unlike ours is being used to throw these practices into light, and not merely as an ornament on the tree to match all the other evil decorations. It would've been different if the Rebels ever made a fuss about combating sexism or racism -- like they do constantly about combating species prejudice -- but racism never comes up at all (probably because it's too uncomfortable for the franchise to handle) and sexism is barely addressed at all, and the effectiveness is blunted by the fact that the portrayal of the alleged few female Imperials to make it tends to be misogynistic in itself.

Perhaps the only discussion of it that's even remotely worthwhile was WEG's Firebird Society, later expanded upon by WotC. The novels never come close -- with Daala's complaints being ineffective because she's written to be so inept, and Iillor's cause not really taken up by the Rebels.

edit: Correct, Zor -- Lucas always said he wanted to portray the Empire so as to discuss the ultimate seductiveness of evil, how people are convinced that they're doing the right thing. That's not an argument for moral relativism or crypto-fascism (one of the reasons the Imperial Remnant rubs me the wrong way), but that an Empire that wears its evil on its sleeves is missing the point -- it's supposed to be an iron fist in a velvet glove. It's supposed to be a cause that people actually do buy into, or the Rebellion would've been much bigger much quicker.

It's a combination of attractiveness and complacency that lets the Empire do what it does. A big theme of Star Wars is that people often need a harsh awakening before they decide to take action, and that some people still don't take action even so.

16. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Why the quotes? Nobody has said that here. Nobody's arguing that.

Personally, my argument it that it's an imperialistic tactic. If you're going to argue, at least argue against something people are actually saying.

This is a false dichotomy. There's zero logical basis for saying that it's ineffective for not being thrown into the light; seeing the less awkward depictions of speciesism early in life and then growing up to identify that sterile ethnic/gender uniformity as one grows older is a perfectly valid way of exposing that idea as it becomes more appropriate. You're basically arguing that subtext is and invalid facet of narrative discourse.

So how exactly do you rationalize the actions of the Nazis? Because that was an instance of what you're describing: The exploitation of an emerging trend in Europe---albeit a trend of prejudice. Why wouldn't Palpatine leverage another division into a form of hatred, to become appealing to the core world's noble houses of ethnic-majority patriarchal models? It could have been anything, but white males are the only thing Palpatine could successfully leverage, because that's what he was.

I don't want this stuff to be directly dealt with, but I think it would undermine the subtext already established surrounding the Empire if it were changed. I also can't help but maintain that any Empire fan has a major conflict of interest in this argument, so most of these rationalizations are suspect for me...

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sorry, is there some sort of prohibition against expressing a viewpoint that isn't directly responding to somebody else's? I never quoted or ascribed anything to anybody. Everyone's stating a case, and so am I. Specifically, I'm talking about how to characterize the Empire based on its filmic portrayals and historical inspirations that isn't lazy and ineffectual.

18. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

So you're actually saying there's no place in classical epic mythology for a big obvious evil? That seems awfully silly. There's a way for that evil to exist as a status quo, and all those big obvious evil things actually add up to something that makes sense if you break it down psychologically---and there's no argument to be had there, because it has happened in real life. Each of these possibilities has internal harmony, it's just a matter of which you prefer. Neither is more inherently logical than the other, but personally I think the big obvious evil IS what we've seen on screen, and there's no getting around that.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, first of all I missed the part in classical epic mythology where there was a "big obvious evil" -- the major Western epic treatment of big obvious evil is Milton. Homer, Apollonius, Virgil, Statius etc. didn't have such things.

And the thing is, you can have the day-to-day evil coëxist with evil on the grand scale (which I differentiate very pointedly from the big obvious evil). The destruction of Alderaan is both grand and obviously evil, but I am not sure of the value in "evil for evil's sake." Tarkin didn't destroy Alderaan just because he wanted to twirl his moustaches, seeing as he plainly lacked facial hair. Therefore, it stands to reason that he did so for his stated purpose: to quell dissent from the Empire. This is an eminently understandable goal -- it is a goal accomplished through evil, and it is a goal that may well be evil itself, but it is not evil for evil's sake. And that's essentially the issue.

The aesthetic preference from day-to-day evil and grand evil isn't at issue: that depends on the story you want to tell, and JJM tells a story the day-to-day evil that enables the grand evils. So will Rebels, I suspect. But this is a different debate.

What goal does Imperial sexism further? You assert that it helps hold up the Imperial régime by using divisiveness as a tool. I agree that such a thing is possible, but I don't see it existing IU. At no point have we seen Imperials patting themselves on the back because they're not girls, or telling girls to go back in the kitchen or whatever. It's sort of there just as flavor, evil for evil's sake. And that's the part of "big obvious" that I object to -- Tarkin's evil was big, but it made sense why an evil person would do what he did. Imperial species prejudice makes sense on that ground, as we've seen it work. The EU's handling of sexism was lousy though.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Also, if we're going with the Empire = Space Nazis, there were no shortage of women who were quite enthusiastic supporters of the Nazis.

JJM may have added a fresh coat of shiny new paint, but underneath, the Empire's values are still going to be as rotten as they've ever been.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Now now, Ben. If you're going to get polemical, I'm going to have to start a stirring patriotic defense instead of this discussion of the Empire's evils :p

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Tut, tut, Jello, it's actually in support of your argument that the Empire's sexism doesn't make coherent sense! Well the first line was....

If you're referring to the second.... you do recall you did say the Empire was evil some time ago and no one has forgotten it? ;)

Matt Skywalker and Robimus like this.
  23. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

And there's room for that here, but we're not seeing supporters, we're seeing officers on duty.

But again, that's subtext---like you said, Jello, flavor---and it all changes when you're forced to expand the universe and address these issues. As subtext, it works and makes sense. Maybe this is more a flaw of having an EU more than an actual problem with the portrayal, but I'd still rather maintain that portrayal than retcon it because it feels icky to elaborate upon.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, I said that in a very particular context. :p

Yes, that's certainly the other way it could go: if they had actually addressed and developed it, have the Empire create an agenda for it and have the Rebels really push hard against it. But that doesn't get at how little IU sense it makes, and it just ends up with misogyny for the sake of misogyny -- and in-universe misogyny is generally used as a legitimator of not having to worry about character casting.

I prefer the NEU abandon Imperial sexism in general as something that makes little sense IU, and is just bad for the fandom OOU. Whether it will actually do that is unclear -- all we know is that JJM included some female Imperial officers, and wasn't overturned by the Story Group.

Vthuil likes this.
  25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Ah! The good old days of West End Games!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.