main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Imperial Space Craft

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Olorin_alpha, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olorin_alpha

Olorin_alpha Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2005
    Hey everyone, first of all i couldnt find a place to put this thread, so if its in the wrong place just move it (and tell me where)

Im trying to put together a brief history of the Imperial Navy and the evolution of the Star Destroyer, but there are some crucial gaps missing in fluff, at least on the internet. i was wondering if you fine people could fill me in on some things

Victory Class: When and where did the Victory first crop up? i've figured that its older than the Venator, and was replaced by the Imperator/Imperial Class at the end of the Clone Wars, but how much older? some sources suggest that the Victory (and the Mandator) were Kuati ships, defending and operating within Kuat Star Drives and its subsidaries systems, and was recruited into the Republic Navy when Kuat became involved in the Grand Armies enginerring. is this true?

Mandator: What is this ship? ive heard it being referred to as a Star Dreadnought, and also that it near the size of the Executor. Questions for the Victory above also posed, as i have no idea of the Mandator's origins

Tector: Once again, i cant find any clues to this ships function or origin accept its name, and brief mention of it and the Imperator replacing the Venator, in the RotS Incredible Cross Sections.

these are all ill post for the moment, and thanks for anyone answering

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    You might want to try Star Wars New Essential Vehicle Guide as well as the Star Wars Encyclopedia.

3. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    THe Imperial class was used before the GCW...

Interdictor was created 2 years bby

4. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    the victory also had two classes I & II then was replaced by ISD. but inevitably GL has the timeline in his head.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, if memory serves, VSD were meant to serve as replacement for RASs, but were plauged by the fact they had underpowered engines.

6. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    this website has some info on imperial ships. ;)

Evil.

7. dragonsith13

Apr 3, 2005
    Yeah thats what I heard, it was said that victory star destroyers were not effective unless the achieve superior tactical positioning before battles began or they were unable to pursue ships. However they were quite powerful in firepower aspects when engaging.

8. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    *looks at all the letters....and is confused*

9. Olorin_alpha

Apr 8, 2005
    GCW? whats that? and i think RAS is Republic Assualt Ship, i.e. the Acclamator-class that was present during the Battle of Geonosis and was used to ship clone forces throughout the Clone Wars.

And i think that your right, the Victory's were meant to replace all previous Starships, but had major design faults like the simple power problems, and were kicked out of the way by the huge numbers of Imperator's (renamed Imperial after the Jedi purge, which assumes the Imperator was introduced at the end of the Clone Wars especially by the Republic Army)

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    GCW? whats that?

GCW=Galactic Civil War

11. dragonsith13

Apr 3, 2005
    It is said in the SW encyclopedia that the empire produced over 25,000! star destroyers, am i the only one or does this seem a little high???

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Great question, Olorin. Welcome to the EUC forum.

The Victory-class Star Destroyer (VSD) was the creation of famed Old Republic engineer and foremost starship designer, Walex Blissex. He is affectionately knows as the "father of the Star Destroyer." The Victory quickly became the workhorse capital ship in the galaxy and was known as "the galaxy's peacemaker." But, with the end of the Clone Wars and the rise of the Empire, as the last remnants of the Old Republic collapsed, Walex Blissex disappeared. Right about that time, his tools of peace, the VSD, was warped by the New Order into Imperial weapons of terror.

He decided it was better to go into hiding than be forced by a tyrannical government to create instruments of destruction. As the fledgling Rebel Alliance came into being, Blissex found a cause worth joining.

Unfortunately, his family didn't make it with him. The Empire quickly found someone to replace the engineer. His own daughter. Lira Wessex, a brilliant engineer in her own right, was married to a regional governor named Denn Wessex.

Using her father's work as a basis, Lira Wessex designed the Imperial-class Star Destroyer (ISD).

13. Olorin_alpha

Apr 8, 2005
    Thanks for the welcome Genghis12 :D

THe Imperial class was used before the GCW...

Ok, so if GCW means Galactic Civil War, then that makes total sense. Thats one confirmation, then.

And thanks again for the information Genghis, that cleared up something at least. So that means that the Victory was in use, widely, as a workhorse, a long time before the creation of the New Order, and was probably involved in the Clone Wars, thereby providing the incentive to create such ships as the Venator, and improve upon them to create the signature Imperial craft, the Imperator, renamed to the Imperial.

14. dragonsith13

Apr 3, 2005
    Does anyone have any information on the ship Dark Saber i heard it was used in EU. I would like to know more about it if anyone knows what im refering to, sorry i only know the name seeing as i would like to know more.

15. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    It is said in the SW encyclopedia that the empire produced over 25,000! star destroyers, am i the only one or does this seem a little high???

It's pathetically low, actually. But it's enough to keep peace in the galaxy -- only a very small fraction of the worlds in the galaxy are worth fighting over. There are hundreds of billions of planets in the galaxy. Out of those, just over 1.2 million have populations. Maybe a few hundred million more have stuff worth mining on them. Out of all those worlds, only a few thousand or so can be considered "major" worlds. Those worlds are either sector capitals, shipbuilding worlds like Kuat, or random worlds with a lot of natural resources that people compete for. And major in a narrative capacity doesn't mean major in a galactic capacity. Despite the fact that we spend a hell of a lot of time on Tatooine, there's basically nothing there.

16. dragonsith13

Apr 3, 2005
    It just seems weird because in a lot of the books we see imperial fleets that are considered to be formidable with only 4 or 6 star destroyers. Im not saying that they arent formidable, we all no that even one star destroyer has enough firepower to lay waste to about anything. But with 25,000 star destroyers out there it just seems like admiral daala could have scrounged up more than 4 isds from the maw installation, the same going for other fleet admirals after rotj.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Does anyone have any information on the ship Dark Saber i heard it was used in EU. I would like to know more about it if anyone knows what im refering to, sorry i only know the name seeing as i would like to know more.

The Darksaber was the Hutts' attempt to build a superweapon on the cheap. They contracted Bevel Lemilisk to build them a Death Star style Superlaser. It was a miserable failure. The weapon was incompetently built and never fired. It drifts abandoned in the Hoth Asteroid Belt.

18. dragonsith13

Apr 3, 2005
    Thanks now I know and it seems not worth looking into, its funny how the hutts with all their money are cheap when it comes to doing something important.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    No, its not worth looking into at all, especially considering that Crix Madine died the second lamest death after Chewie's.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Victory-class was not used by Kuat at all--it's a design of Rendili StarDrive.

The ship saw great utility in the Clone Wars, but was eventually too expensive and too costly to pursue, so the Republic suspended production in favor of the far cheaper and easily mass-produced Venator-class.

After the conclusion of the war and the creation of the Empire, the Imperial-class Star Destroyer saw widespread use as the Starfleet's premier vessel. Remaining Venator-class Star Destroyers were retired entirely, but the Victory-class still saw usage in the Outer Rim--along with Acclamator-class troopships.

21. Olorin_alpha

Apr 8, 2005
    thanks GrandAdmiralJello, some useful information.

Does anyone know anything about the Tector and Mandator?

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Tector is also a Clone Wars design that is no longer seen.

The Mandator is a larger type of vessel that was only used in the private Kuati defense force and disappeared by the time of the GCW.

23. Olorin_alpha

Apr 8, 2005
    Does anyone have any structural and functional info about the Tector and Mandator? more for personal want really hehe.

Ok so the Victory was pretty much the first Star Destroyer, phased out by the likes of the Acclamator and Venator, and eventually replaced at the inception of the empire by the Imperator, which was renamed the Imperial class, which became the mainstream Imperial Craft. Any other major ships, not neccesarily Star Destroyers, that i should know about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.