main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Imperial Walker Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by FETT-MAN, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    Weird idea, I know, but it's something that's never been tried before. This thread is for anyone who wants to toss around ideas about any of the Republic or Imperial walkers seen in any of the films. These include:
    AT-TE
    AT-RT
    AT-PT (Does that even exist?)
    AT-ST
    AT-AT
    (Any more that I may have left out.)

If one has any suggestions to any of these 'projects' please feel free to post them.

2. EricT

EricT Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2004
    Well, the AT-AT actually *HAS* been done, at least once:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garyfixler/sets/1199787?page=2

After seeing those pics, my girlfriend suggested (semi-seriously) to me that we ought to try doing a 2-person version. Don't know if that'll ever happen...

Any of the reverse-jointed walkers would be awfully tough to do, I would think.

3. LiveTheJediCode

LiveTheJediCode Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2006
    yeah, walking around backwards for a night could be a little annoying. i was thinking about the AT-AT, and i know how the 2 ppl could do it, but that would kill your back. the front person would have their torso and such in the head, while the rear person had the body, and could look out viewports so they didnt see a rear end all evening, but i dont know how i would support the torso's, because you wouldnt be able to get anyone to hunch over without being able to rest i think. [face_thinking] i could totally dig walking around as a chicken-walker hahaha. ive been thinking, and im fairly sure those arent reverse articulated are they? if their not I would be hard pressed to believe someone hasnt already tried to make one.

4. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    I'll have to scrounge a bit, but I have seen a two-person walker costume on the 'net.

5. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    The chicken walkers are reverse-articulated. If you sat in the 'cockpit' how would you keep balance? It'd tip over. Though last night I did see a walker that had a third leg. Perhaps you could use this leg as support and have a whell in the foot.

6. LiveTheJediCode

Jun 28, 2006
    can you provide a picture of this walker? i think that could be much eaiser to make, or at least to balance in, although if it isnt well known enough, it might lose its overall purpose. if you have to go around all night explaining what you are, and people give you strange looks, you would probably consider that a failure.

7. darthnave

darthnave Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2005
    Yes FETT-MAN, AT-PT's do exist: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nrsj/teikoku/ap_p.gif

8. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Well then, could you find the 3-legged one? I found a description, not a pic.

9. LiveTheJediCode

Jun 28, 2006
    i have seen that walker in a game, thats likely where that pic is from. if it hasnt been featured in a movie or game, there may likely be no pictures at all. if that IS the case, there wouldnt be much point of attempting it, becuase as i stated earlier, explaining your costume all night is no fun. i tried doing the lazy thing last year for halloween, and just through on a hoody and say im a gangster. that was no good. not only did i have to explain myself at every house i stopped, many of the elderly looked at me like i might have a real uzi to go with my costume, and that id take more then just candy from them. :oops: yeah, im not doing that again.

long story short if you skipped that (which you certainly could have) dont do a costume that isnt recognizable by the group your going to be showing it off to/with.

10. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    That's why I'd just settle for a 2-man AT-AT, everybody knows what that is. (I hope)[face_praying]

11. LiveTheJediCode

Jun 28, 2006
    its well enough known, although im sure you'll get at least 1 puzzled look. do you have specific plans for it? like are you planning on just making it a shell, or will it have more then what is absolutely necessary (i believe that would be bending legs) i would like to see a head that perhaps moves side to side, and maybe would even have openable hatches and such.

12. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I don't know that I'm going to make it, I was just curious as to how one would. No, my main project right now is a Maul(me this year) and a Vader(friend this year), then a Grievous(me next year).

13. LiveTheJediCode

Jun 28, 2006
    haha, id be interested to see how the grevious comes out.

14. Cerebral-Rent

Cerebral-Rent Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2005
    I actually saw Greivous last year at Comic Con. He was HUGE. 7 feet tall, probably.

What the person did was make the skeletony Greivous body, and then make a body suit the same color as the lining of his cloak, and just stand between Greivous and the cloak with dowels ( I THINK ) to move his arms and such. I have a picture somewhere, I think...

Here we go!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/borowhore/LACHSA/Camera1073.jpg

15. studiocreations

studiocreations Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2000
    I know I have images of the 2 man walker in my archives somewhere. It was from one of the late 90's CostumeCon Conventions if memory servers me right. Gonna take me a couple nights to hunt down that image though. My archiving skillz were pretty poor back then.

I think the Walker's back stood at 7.5 feet tall, and the front mans head sat at Command cockpit level. It was a pretty impressive feat.

16. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    And that'd be where I got my idea from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.