main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Imperial Walkers..

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lord_Psycho_Mantis, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>For example, they would suck underwater<<

Yeah, thye suck when they're underwater- there's a level in Rogue Leader where some are marching out of a sunken star destroyer...you can't shoot at them underwater, and you can't trip them in an airspeeder either1 ;;D

2. Mortimer_Nerdly

Mortimer_Nerdly Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2002
    The Imperial AT-AT's kick @$$! Kinda remind you of Hannibal's War Elephants from the Punic Wars (If you remember your ancient history).

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Yeah, thye suck when they're underwater- there's a level in Rogue Leader where some are marching out of a sunken star destroyer...you can't shoot at them underwater, and you can't trip them in an airspeeder either1 ;;D

Gee, I guess I must be really lucky cos I tripped all 3 of them up no problem.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    right- but I bet that was after a good portion of their body had raised above the surface, right?[face_batting]

5. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I tripped one up when it was right next to the Star Destroyer. The trick is to go under the head when its firing on your flanking speeders.

6. DarthVader213

DarthVader213 Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2002
    with how many walkers did they attack to rebels on hoth...sorry but i didn't wanto open a topic only for one question.

7. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Three? (and one AT-ST as well. Too bad they didn't have more of those. :( )

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    At least 5 AT-ATs attacked Hoth, and at least 3 of them were destroyed (2 on film, then Dash Rendar got another in the EU).

9. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Walkers were used on Hoth for two reasons, one being intimidation, the other being that the Rebs had a sheild up over their base and the surrownding area, making orbital bombardment with turbolasers and areial attacks by TIE fighters impossible. Walkers, relying on simple ground traction for propulsion, have a natural grounding that allows them to slip through sheilds.

10. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    "a natural grounding that allows them to slip through sheilds."

Interesting. That's a fine fact to consider. :)

Bib, two were destroyed in the????

Ooops, just realized as I typed this...Wedge got one also (duh!)

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually just made a related thread to that topic over in Lit:

The Battle of Hoth: Rogue and Blizzard rosters & losses

As a summary to answer the question here: there were 5 AT-AT's on Hoth, + the AT-ST.

2 were destroyed in the film, an additional 2 in the EU.

Wedge trips up Blizzard 4 and Luke uses the grenade on another unidentified walker.

Then Dash trips up another unidentified one, while Hobbie does a kamakazi attack on Veer's Blizzard 1 walker (after the main generators were destroyed).

On a sidenote, I think the early AT-AT design had a rear gun (their appearance was based on an elephant, so that'd be the "tail" I suppose)- they reused the tail gun on the AT-TE, I believe.

As far as Walker design goes- while it's a fairly good design in the Star Wars universe (so long as it's not attacked by X-Wings and other stronger fighters), I doubt it'd last very long in the real world- a strong enough missle or some other kind of ballistic attack or drone plane crashing into the side of one would tip them over easily I'd imagine.

12. JediHunterCommand

JediHunterCommand Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    Only five? Small attack force, then. I'm pretty sure we see more than that. Maybe no more than five onscreen at any one time, but that means nothing.

The legs aren't as much a problem as you might think. They can climb over obstacles, crush people beneath their feet (terror weapon, that) and the things are armored six ways from Sunday. Yeah, the Rebels got a few, but Luke had a lightsaber and Wedge tripped his up. Which took some doing; if a lesser pilot had flown that run, it probably wouldn't have worked.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You only see 5 Walkers approaching Echo Base in the film- particulalrly when they use the macrobinoculars.

Other sources backup the 5 walker figure.

Given their capability, 5 was quite sufficient- thats also 200 ground troops that could be deployed from them as well.

14. MrMan77

MrMan77 Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2003
    All I know is that my Imperial Walker toy was the coolest thing I ever owned! The day my cousin and I accidently slamed it into a closet door and broke it was the saddest of my life! :(

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.