main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Imperial Women?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SithMaster_69, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, or maybe the Tarkins were swingers? :p

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think they are just in the kitchen baking stuff for the troops. You never see bathrooms or kitchens in the saga outside of Dexter's Diner, and there is a woman working there.

3. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    You mean the droid that calls Dex "honey"? :p

4. Jedi_of_Valor

Jedi_of_Valor Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2007
    I think not allowing women in combat zones is idiocy. Make all requirements standard. If a person regardless of gender can pass them then they can do it.

5. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I just wanted to resurrect this thread because I think it's an interesting distinction and the discussion may have shifted due to the presence of a female villain in the form of Asajj Ventress in The Clone Wars as it challenges the idea that the reason there are women in the Republic, Rebellion, and Jedi Order being that they represent life while the Sith and the Empire represent death.

6. DocRevan

DocRevan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2008
    Well, there is that (hot)Imperial pilot chick in TFU, if that counts.

But basically it's for the same reason there aren't any alien imperial officers.
    Palpy's an old man, and full of prejudice and such.

7. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I can't believe I had forgotten Juno, you're right. So that means that now there's two evil women in projects that had Lucas' input which seemingly makes the old view that he was trying to communicate that the heroes represent life a little problematic.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't think Juno counts. Doesn't she end up being a sympathetic character and "doing the right thing"?

9. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I believe so. Leaks said that she did and the trailer makes it fairly clear.

10. nancyallen

nancyallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2007
    Who wants to bet the Apprentice, Vader or Palpatine will off her for it?

What about Mara? She was portrayed as having a conscience (Allegiance) and not (Empire at War) yet was still fiercely loyal regardless.

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Palps is a Sith who has the support the Deep Core humans, who hate all aliens( for the most part). Palps is just playing along. Palps hates all equally and usually only respects those who have exceptional talents or skills in the force..

12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Women in the military (at least the US military) are kept out of combat roles. I don't know the "official" reason for this. It could simply be a continuation of historical gender roles (think of a film like Titanic, when the women and children are saved before the men, it's the "right" thing for a man to be the one to make sacrifices). Or it could be a way to discourage inappropriate relationships from forming, or it could be the prejudice that the average woman is weaker than the average male, and might not be able to handle the same stresses.

For all we know it's the same in A Galaxy Far, Far Away. And roles like engineers and medics, which women might perform in the US military, seem to go to droids in the SW universe. We really only see the front lines of the Imperial military, stormtroopers, admirals, commanders, etc. And these are precisely the roles that women are kept out of in some armies in the real world. In the EU, exceptions were made in the case that a women was extremely well qualified, (and as far as I know, such exceptions aren't made in most armies in the western world).

I would imagine that women existed in Imperial government. For instance the Imperial governor (mentioned in the ANH novel) of Tatooine was a woman. Women simply didn't have a role in the military.

13. W0RMW00D

W0RMW00D Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2008
    And who determines Imperial policy? Palpatine...

14. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Right, but Palpatine also has shown himself to be willing to play on the prejudices of others to gain power. It's entirely possible that Palpatine himself isn't a xenophobe, but made Imperial policy xenophobic so that humans(who seem to hold a good amount of power) in the galaxy would have an 'other' to hate.

15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Palpatine's xenophobia was very cleverly shown in the films. He used aliens as his pawns, but he never considered any of them to be his equals. There was only one human on the Separatist side, who was Palpatine's accomplice anyway, and every other Separatist leader was an alien. Thus, he was able to use his army of humans to fight off the evil aliens. Galactic propaganda painted the humans as being noble and heroic, which made it easier for the Empire's New Order to take effect after the Clone Wars ended. The galaxy at large (or at least the human population of the Empire) began to see non-humans as less civilized, evil, etc. Palpatine just played off those emotions.

xezene likes this.
  16. PlagueisesApprentice

PlagueisesApprentice Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2008
    The reason there are no seen women in the empire is because the empire is symbolized as cold malevolent entity of death and throughout almost all mythology and history women were symbolized as givers of life.

xezene likes this.
  17. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I would argue that Palpatine sees no one as his equal. Tyranus was as much of a pawn as any of the other Separatist leaders after all.

18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This I think is the most accurate answer...

That is all I have to say about that...

xezene likes this.
  19. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    In ANH there are only men attending the Throne Room Ceremony, human men, no aliens or Women.

20. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh, it definitely is. It's also why we never see the Empire using anything natural while the Rebels are based out of a tree village in Jedi.

xezene likes this.
  21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000

...Chewbacca and Leia don't count? :p

22. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    I also believe that the era in which the PT was made, rather than any internal logic, was the reason there were no women in the Empire (and so few in the Rebellion). Honestly, any claims by LFL that the Empire was bigoted or any such thing I'll dismiss as flagrant retconning (unless they have historical documents to back their claims up).

For what it's worth, in 'The Force Unleashed', one of the primary characters, Eclipse is a female Imperial pilot.

23. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I believe it was originally an EU extrapolation based on some hints in the OT such as the Imperial Officer who says "Where are you taking this...thing?" when Luke and Han bring the "imprisoned" Chewie to the cell block.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Imperial woman, get away from me
    Imperial woman, mama let me be
    Don?t come blastin' through my door
    Don?t wanna see your shadow no more
    Colored lights can hypnotize
    Sparkle someone else?s eyes
    Now woman, I said get away
    Imperial woman, listen what I say.

25. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    Why is it that so many so-called "fans" forget that all the Stormtrooper Officers (the guys in the black uniforms) in ANH and all the regular Stormtroopers had American accents? Even the Imperial officers on Endor in ROTJ had American accents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.