main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Important Announcement

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by LordGoldenArrow, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordGoldenArrow

LordGoldenArrow Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    Good day everyone. As many of you know, the Orlando Fan Force is off to a great start. It has grown in leaps and bounds since we first started last December and has many members on the board. Thanks to everyone who has worked hard to make the group very enjoyable. Hopefully those who are only on the boards can come out to some meetings and join the fun.

There is a need for a Melbourne FF group. The Orlando Group already has several members that live in or near Melbourne. Seeing as I live in Melbourne I'm going to be stepping down as the Orlando CR and joining the Melbourne group. For me it makes sense because of the 1.5 hour drive through Orlando to get to the meetings. It really does take up most of my Saturday. I know the Orlando group will lose other members due to this new group. We've had multiple meetings on the coast already trying to help out our members who lived there. The last event we had at Wichkam park showed the need for a Melbourne FF. We had almost twice as many people show up to that event than at any event in the past.

We discussed this at the last meeting. Unfortunately, a good majority of the members who were at the last meeting are those who live in Melbourne or are closer to Melbourne than Orlando. If anyone has an interest in being the City Rep for Orlando please contact me or Minacia_Brightstar. I know the last time we had to elect a CR we had to threaten people. ;-) j/k

Comments? Questions? Concerns?

Thanks everyone! It's been a pleasure!

Arthur

2. Imperial-Girl

Imperial-Girl Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2002
    Will there be an announcement posted here if/when the Melbourne Fan Force is organized?

Cheryl

3. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I'll be creating the Melbourne forum tomorrow morning. I'll let everyone know when it is ready for use in the thread requesting the forum, which is located in the Southeast General Discussion forum. Once the Melbourne forum is up and running, y'all can work on making Melbourne an official FF chapter.

4. DestinySkywalker

DestinySkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 1999
    Awesome!

Although I'm sorry that LordGoldenArrow has to leave you guys. But I'm sure we can still do some get togethers. We're too powerful of a force to be ignored. ;)

5. LordGoldenArrow

Jan 13, 2002
    Yeah. I hate to leave. But the two groups can still get together once in a while and have a blast.

6. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    why cant the orlando meeting just meet in melborne?

7. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    You'll have to ask Art. Splitting off and making a new chapter was a decision that was made by the membership at their October meeting.

8. TheSpectre

TheSpectre Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    At that meeting, only two people were from Orlando.
    Four were from Melborne.
    Three from Port St. Lucie.
    Two were from Jacksonville.

9. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    I knew that creating a new chapter was brought about for the convenience of most of the members of the Orlando chapter (before they moved to the Melbourne board), but I didn't want to speak for Art on that, as he knows the exact reasons better than I. :)

10. LordGoldenArrow

Jan 13, 2002
    Well, we could have kept the Orlando group together and just met in Melbourne. That was one of the things we considered. However, the group that attended the Orlando Oct Meeting did not feel it was right to move the meeting so far away. We didn't want to alienate the Orlando crowd.

This was basically a convience thing for those who don't live in Orlando. The out of towners were the whole reason the meetings were held in the afternoon on a Saturday. Maybe now you guys can get a time that's better for everyone.

Art

11. TheSpectre

Sep 28, 2002
    Ia- since you are one of my top ten favorite people in the world, beating out one sister, a couple childhood aqauntances, and a couple others that should have been in the top ten.
    You have an open invitation to come to Melborne. I'll come get you myself if need be.
    Buzz

12. Ia-Bou

Jul 15, 2001
    sniff sniff ... I feel loved :)

13. TheSpectre

Sep 28, 2002
    Yes you are. :D

14. Ia-Bou

Jul 15, 2001
    so do they have their own message board I should join??

15. TheSpectre

Sep 28, 2002
    Melborne does have a board. Go ahead and post there. I know alot of us talk about you often. and nicely too!

16. Emerita

Emerita Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2002
    I may be typing out of turn here....but how far is Melbourne from Orlando.....How about a midway point to meet if you all want to keep as one group? Sounds like the meetings are on the south side of Orlando.....North side maybe? I live in Pensacola and I would just like to get to the meetings. If they are fully involved meetings and last awhile, I'll do a road trip once a month.....otherwise I'll just keep up on what is going on here....OK....I'll shut up now.....

17. LordGoldenArrow

Jan 13, 2002
    Well, from the meeting place we had in Orlando (in the Altamonte library) it's about 2.5 hours to Melbourne.

The Melbourne group is probably going to meet in northern Melbourne. Strickly speaking it's probably an hour from downtown Orlando.

18. Emerita

Emerita Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2002
    So it would only be an hour's drive for the Orlando folks to go to Melbourne?.....Well, for me it is going to be a minimum of 6 hours no matter where it is held....LOL..

19. JediRecon

JediRecon Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2002
    hmmm...interesting little split going on here.

20. LordGoldenArrow

Jan 13, 2002
    Yeah. It's only an hour drive but there's more than just the drive. The day has been a problem for some people. Saturday's don't work for everyone. A bunch of the Orlando people work service type jobs where they have to work Saturday's. Weekday's won't work for people coming from out of town. The problems go on and on and setting up a meeting will never be easy to please everyone. Whoever takes over as CR will need to try and get as many people together as possible and arrange a day that many can show up to.

21. Emerita

Emerita Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2002
    Yeah, I understand why it is being done this way. If it is local, then it is definitely easier to get to, if even on a lunch break. Are the meeting notes put here to read?

22. LordGoldenArrow

Jan 13, 2002
    Past meeting notes are on the board. They may be buried in the meeting announcement threads though.

Most of the past meetings have generally consisted of having lunch together, talking about getting a website up and what we want to see on it, updates on the fanfilm we were participating in, discussing upcoming events (as in planning them) and then the current event for the meeting be it bowling, origami, film shooting or whatnot.

23. Emerita

Emerita Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2002
    Sounds like fun...wish I lived closer......I can try to get to the major events. I go to Orlando about 4 times a year so maybe I'll make a few......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.