main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

IMPORTANT Forum Announcement ? All members please read!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by jasman, May 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    All members:

It has been the source of some dismay among members and moderators alike that some people seem to treat new members (?newbies?) in an impolite, un-helpful, sometimes rude, sometimes downright antagonistic manner. This will stop NOW.

All members, old and new alike, are entitled to post their opinions, questions, and speculations on this forum, without having to be afraid of being ridiculed.

The Jedi Council has gained a reputation for hostility toward new members. That changes today. No longer will new members be treated like second-class citizens. Those who show hostility toward new members will be given a one-week ban.

The following points need to be addressed:

If someone knows less than you do about Episode 2, it is NOT a crime or a sin. This should not be an opportunity to insult someone, it should be an opportunity to help, inform, and instruct.

If someone posts a redundant topic, don?t respond with hostility. Simply point the person in the direction of an existing thread on the same topic. Links would be helpful. Be polite.

If someone posts a topic that you think is lame, simply don?t reply to it, and it will die a natural death. Don?t post cat pictures. Don?t poop on the thread. Don?t post [face_plain]. Just ignore it.

It is not up to the members to decide if someone is a troll. That is the moderator?s job. If you think someone is trolling, PM a moderator about it, and we will decide what needs to be done.

If you think a thread needs to be locked, please don?t post pictures of locks, post ?Is this thread still open?? or post ?Where are the mods?? PM a mod if you think there is a problem, and we will deal with it.

We want to have a reputation as a forum where everyone is welcome and treated with respect and courtesy. It?s up to all of us to make it that way.

How to contact an online Moderator

1. Look at the row of links at the top of the page (just below the ad banner and the "Go" box). The links are TheForce.net, Jedi Council Forums, The Star Wars Films, and Attack of the Clones (Spoilers).

2. Click on the second link (Jedi Council Forums).

3. At the top of this page, below your user name, there is a row of links. Click on the second link, "Users Online".

4. Scroll through the pages of online users until you find a username with custom colors. This will be a Moderator, Manager, or Administrator.

5. To the right of that person's username, you will see a link that says "Send PM."

6. Click on this link to send a Personal Message to that Moderator, Manager, etc.

Special Note to New Members

On the subject of redundancy:

If you post a topic that?s already being discussed, or has been discussed recently (last 4-5 pages), that thread is what we call "redundant", and that?s a ?rookie mistake?. Your thread will probably be bombarded with posts declaring its redundancy, and you?re going to have a hard time getting discussion going. Not to mention, whoever started the other thread on that topic won?t appreciate the fact that you didn?t take the time to check out their thread.

A note on redundant threads

One of our main responsibilities as moderators is to prevent the proliferation of multiple threads on the same topic. Therefore, we will close new threads on topics that have been discussed several times before. We do this for several reasons:

• It saves server space (One thread with 100 responses uses less space than 100 threads with one response)
    • It keeps things from getting cluttered.
    • It keeps the old topics from being pushed even further down the list.
    • It's a pain in the butt to have to post the same opinion or explanation over and over and over again.
    • It's confusing to have the same conversation going on in several places at the same time.

So, redundant threads will be closed.

Set your preferences to show 50 topics per page, and you wil

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    *reads topic*

Is it but no concern of me. I'm an angel to newbies :D

*walks away*

ST

3. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    Well said jasman.

4. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Where are the mods? Why hasn't this thread been locked yet? I poop on it. Send in the cats. Etc.

But seriously... great idea. My only recommendation is that you be careful not to confuse a little light-hearted humor with being rude and counter-productive. A few smart-alek comments here and there can't hurt, can they?

But the carrying on as illustrated above must end.

AYBABTU?

5. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    As long as mods don't interpret efficient, short replies as rudeness.

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Newbies against Oldbies :(

Will the maddness never cease! :_|

It may now :D

ST

7. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Darth_AYBABTU has been banned.

;)

Give me a break!

8. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    what if you were to say, "you know, this is going to be locked" or something like that. would that be considered a hateful message and such.

9. The_Mighty_Chewbacca

The_Mighty_Chewbacca Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    What about the Chewie Say: LOCK! gif? Is that over...surly Chewie never caused any trouble... :(

10. LOOKIE_THERE

LOOKIE_THERE Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2002
  11. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Mar17swgirl said we could still be sarcastic with trolls, does this change that?

I think a little humor every now and then with a troll is good for PSA.

12. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Dont post [face_plain]

Looks like Griffz better go back to his day job :eek:

13. DarthSakroc

DarthSakroc Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2001
    You know how the telephone killed the telegraph? That's what this thread will do to YodaoftheSith. What will he do without poop? He'll be all sad, like the people of Naboo after their planet turns into Dagobah. ;)

14. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    No, but it's pointless to say that in the thread, it ups the thread. Just PM a mod and PM the author maybe explaining why we don't need that thread in the PSA.

Jasman, great thread, babe. I couldn't have said it better myself.

15. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    the poop stuff got out of hand, that's why it was not seen lately that much.

16. Darth-Walken

Darth-Walken Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    As my first act, I will create a grand army... [face_laugh] Yes, bravo ! Well said. We are all equally worthless here. And I love it :)

17. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Welcome to the Gestapo Council Forums... ;)

18. Darth_diarrhea

Darth_diarrhea Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    good call
    it's about time this has been enforced

19. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

You really should have posted this thread some other time. It is stealing attention from my thread where I show definitve proof that Dooku's saber is purple.

;)

AYBABTU?

20. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    If someone posts a redundant topic, don?t respond with hostility. Simply point the person in the direction of an existing thread on the same topic. Links would be helpful. Be polite.

If someone posts a topic that you think is lame, simply don?t reply to it, and it will die a natural death. Don?t post cat pictures. Don?t poop on the thread. Don?t post [face_plain] . Just ignore it.

Naturally, I agree with everything, jasman, but I should point out that 9 out of 10 times it's newbies who behave like this. They seem, in the main, the most eager to yell "lock topic!", "this is redundant", et cetera.

21. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Well, I happen to disagree with Mar about that. Trolls are here to attract attention, any kind of attention. If you reply to them, you're just giving them what they want. They don't care if the response is positive or negative, they just want a response. Don't give it to them.

22. MetallicPea

MetallicPea Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Very true Debo.

23. RassyDreas

RassyDreas Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you for posting that, jasman. Seriously because when I first found theforce.net and the Jedi Council, I was shocked at how "newbies" (terrible name) were treated. It wasn't until I discovered the routine that I finally joined and started posting.

Hopefully, this thread will be read and regarded, instead of disregarded.

24. DarthSakroc

DarthSakroc Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2001
    Debo has a point. Many oldbies at least suggest "New to Spoilers".

It's only after oldbies help that cats are thrown at people. :D

25. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    You should IP ban anyone who uses a [face_plain] without some text preceeding or following it.

Yeah... Yeah...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.