main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

IMPORTANT Forum Announcement ? All members please read!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by jasman, May 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Cheers, Jas. Here's hoping this gets enforced. ;)

2. Master-Yoda

Master-Yoda Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    Cool! Now we can all be friends here!! :) :D :D !!!

MASTER-YODA
    Brandon

3. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Yes, Debo, it seems that some of the newer members are the worst offenders. Once a member has been here for a week or a month and has been yelled at a lot, they tend to pass it on to the next batch. The only way to break that chain is to just stop the abuse.

4. MetallicPea

MetallicPea Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Thank you for posting that, jasman. Seriously because when I first found theforce.net and the Jedi Council, I was
    shocked at how "newbies" (terrible name) were treated. It wasn't until I discovered the routine that I finally joined
    and started posting.

Unfortunately, 90% of newbies do not bother learning the routine and post a thread like:

"DOUKO IS ANIKINS DAD"

Immediately after registering.

5. Samurai-Yoda

Samurai-Yoda Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Nicely said.

I'm kind of a semi-newbie...I've been floating around since last year, and since I'm HORRID with screen-names (I get tired of my screenname after so long) so I keep re-registering. Well, finally, I found one I kinda liked, and it says I registered in April of 2002...which I did, but I've been here for quite some time...around the time the subtitle "AOTC" was announced.

Yet, I STILL, on a daily basis, get considered a "newbie." Now do I get treated like one? Occasionally. I don't mind though.

I know how ego trips are.

And its perfectly okay.
    ;)

6. Yoda_In_Soap

Yoda_In_Soap Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2002
    Great post Chancellor Palp....err, I mean jasman...

Question: When do newbies cease to be newbies?

7. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Darth,
    I am laughing at that one.

Jasman..i agree that bashing new members and ridiculing them is wrong...but banning people for posting lock or cat pictures is not only overdoing it but its ruining the fun in the forums. those pictures are there for humour and to liven up the place...in most cases there is no harm in showing a cat or lock at all, i think this issue has been taken to far.

If this rule is put into effect and all of our fun is outlawed these forums will die overtime. Your dehumanizing it and turning it into a droid foundry.

Constructive criticism is important and individuals who REPEATEDLY register after being banned (cough - Iceman) should be addressed in a thread not those who are just here to have fun and share some info.

Again...I agree that there is bashing going on and it should stop for the sake of kindness...but good fun should in no way be destroyed by the complaints of the few.

8. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    What stinks is the date below the user name. that should be removed because it is one of the things that causes the poor treatment of newbies. i've been here for awhile but i decided to get a new user name. the date automatically says that you are new and inexperienced at the boards. So, to summarize what I'm saying, take out the date below the user name.

9. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    MetallicPea always seems to make me laugh out loud. Very true.

10. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    And another thing which has to be corrected.

Because someone is a newbie it does not mean they know less about SW than you.

And because someone is a newbie it does not mean they are not credible. I take everything with a grain of salt from new and old members.

But sometimes a newbie will come in and say something of news or information, and they get harrased.

But if an oldbie does the same thing, he or she does not.

Which is BS.

Unless there is proof someone is trolling and outright lying, meaning you have hard evidence in your face, you have no proof he or she is lying.

So don't insult them.

11. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    That all sounds fine, except for the fact that the new new newbies, as a whole, seem to be more hostile, even when the older members don't attack them.

I've witnessed people *nicely* redirecting a thread and the response from the newer member would be something including many expletives and flames.

Does this mean I don't have a right to defend myself? :D

12. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    When do newbies cease to be newbies?

The answer...is blowing in the wind...

Seriously, yeah Jasman I hear what your saying about trolls. Its just nice to let off some steam with a funny comment after the Iceman comes back after the thousandth time. I just want to know if this is bannable as well.

As for the newbie thing I totally agree, posting links to other threads and pming mods is the way to go (and that goes for trolls too).

13. DarthSakroc

DarthSakroc Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2001
    MetallicPea - That was a close one. I was worried you were contradicting the established fact that Palpatine is Anakin's father, but you said that DOUKO IS ANIKINS DAD. What a relief.

14. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    OK, maybe I was a little harsh about the one-week ban, but things have really got to change. Think twice before clicking that Post button.

And no, I'm not out to spoil anybody's fun. But it's possible to have your fun without ruining someone else's. Posting insulting pictures or comments isn't fun if you're on the receiving end of it, and a lot of new members get a lot more kicking around than they deserve.

Think before you post. Treat others with courtesy and respect. That's all we ask.

vaderbait, it's not necessary to defend yourself against flames. If someone insults you, it doesn't make you look bad, it makes them look bad. There's nothing to defend. Newbies need to follow the same rules as the older members. Flaming isn't allowed. If you flame in response, you're just as guilty.

15. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I thought Paltine was Anakin's father? :p

16. MetallicPea

MetallicPea Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    MetallicPea - That was a close one. I was worried you were contradicting the established fact that Palpatine is Anakin's father, but you said that DOUKO IS ANIKINS DAD. What a relief.

Sakroc, maybe this will help clear things up:

PALPPTINE IS KOUNT DOOKU!!!!I HAF PROVF!!?!

17. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Will someone kindly answer the question that was put so politely earlier on this thread;
    namely, at what point is a newbie no longer a newbie?

And unless one is a flaming idiot - what difference does it make anyway? [face_mischief]

18. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    What if I tell them "There is already a thread on this"?

Is that Fine?

19. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Understood. :)

20. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    This is being taken to far....
    I think common sense should do it...

Dont do something that you wouldnt like to be done to you is what is being said.

21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I agree :) But what about a situation when we get a LOTR troll, or just somebody who is intent on causing trouble. The sort of person who decided to use profanity in the Thread title for instance! Should we just ignore this person.

And another example was the other day when somebody thought it was funny to say a Jumbo Jet had crashed into Big Ben! As a British person I was outraged by that, and I said I thought the person who made that comment should be banned! Would I still be allowed to say that now? :)

I do agree with the point though, that newbies have as much right as anybody to post there opinions, and should be encouraged to do so :)

22. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    i'll ask it again, what's the point of having the month you joined below your user name?

23. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    CYNICAL21, you are a newbie as long as you act like one. :D

JediMaster22, that's good, but include a link if possible.

G-FETT, don't respond to them. PM a mod to handle it.

24. DarthSakroc

DarthSakroc Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2001
    I spent quite a while here just reading and seeing how things went, because as a newbie on average I did NOT know nearly as much as the oldbies. And once I did start posting, not once was I ever flamed or even mildly insulted for any "newbie comments." Although I don't condone being rude at all, sometimes some of the comments are so dumb that I just shake my head even as I suggest the "New to Spoilers" thread. I really wish more newbies would read the forum rules.

That being said, I bet jasman got flamed in Aug 98 by the one other member already here. That one other guy had waited so long to abuse a newbie...it's all his fault for starting the trend. ;)

25. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    Posting threads talking about pooping on, or cats, or [face_plain] is spam, plain and simple.

It's always been a bannable offense, we're just gonna enforce it more diligently now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.