main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Important Notice: SMT Dues (Due date: June 4th)

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    After careful deliberation, and with only the best interests of the club?s future at heart, I have decided that it is time to implement the collection of dues for the SMT.

As many of you are well aware, the past financial needs of this club have been solely underwritten by me and a few other members. I can no longer allow this to continue, as it creates an unfair financial burden at the expense of a small fraction of our membership while the entirety of the club enjoys the fruits of their contributions.

While I do not wish to exclude anyone because of their inability to pay, I do want to remind everyone that the future of this club depends, and has always depended, on the support of its members. Unfortunately, it takes more than just showing up at events to keep this club running. If you love this club as I do, and recall all that it offers, you will understand that financing its operation is an issue that must not only be addressed, but must be shared.

This said, as of May 14th, 2005, a $35-per-member annual membership charge will take effect and become due. (The full body of paid members will henceforth be known as The Council.) Council members will receive the following benefits:

A personal SMT mailbox
    A vote in all matters pertaining to the SMT
    Full access to the SMT message boards (To be activated May 14th, 2005, and where all member voting will take place and all SMT business will be handled.)
    An official SMT Lanyard badge

These dues will be used to cover legitimate SMT expenses, including, but not limited to:

Drive-In Night maintenance (including the upcoming purchase of a new bulb for the digital projector)

SMT Website (currently paid in full by the President)

Advertising and flyers

Other expenses incurred during the operation of the club

Also, we will implement a donation container at every SMT event for the raising of additional funds for the club. These funds, unlike dues, may be used to cover food and drinks at future SMT events, as well as maintenance costs for the continuance of our Drive-In Nights or other legitimate club expenses. An announcement will be made to all in attendence asking for a donation at every event. Non-members in attendance will be asked for a donation to help cover the costs of the event, and will also be approached regarding membership into the club.

I am willing to explore the possibility of allowing those who cannot afford to pay all at once to pay either monthly or semi-annually via PayPal, cash, or check, (at $3.50 a month or $21 semi-annually, with the additional $7 collected annually covering the cost of financing) . I would like to limit the use of this option, however, to students, members under 18 years of age, or those who can show legitimate hardship. Also, for those who do not pay dues, a donation to the club fund will be requested at each event to help defray event and club operational expenses.

The limitations and rules of uses of and handling of collected dues are as follows:

FOOD AND DRINKS:

Dues will never be used to provide food or drinks (including alcohol) for SMT gatherings, with the exception of special SMT receptions/gatherings that have been approved by a 3/4 majority of the Council.

PURCHASE AND SALE OF SMT ITEMS:

If dues are used for the purchase of articles of clothing bearing the club?s name, logo, artwork, etc, then, upon receipt, said items are to be sold at a cost that will at least return the funds back to the club account. Items will be pre-ordered by members, and, if possible, paid for in advance. Any member who pre-orders said items and fails to pay for them within two weeks of receipt of the order will have all privileges revoked until payment is made in full.

REIMBURSEMENT:

If a member purchases items for club use, then he or she shall be reimbursed from the club account. EXCEPTION: If the person acts outside the authority of the Council and incurs expenses that were not deemed necessary to the function of the club, then that person will only be reimbursed at the

2. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    I understand the financial situation on a personal and association level, man. Lin can feel the pain, too; as could a few others of the MSCA.

It just finally becomes necessary in order to keep your own sanity, and bank account, from landing in obscure regions of the netherworlds.

I think the above is all good, suggestion:
    Make SURE you post in the Rules of Dues above that the fees DO NOT mean people are paying to view movies at the Drive-In Nights, it's TOTALLY for maintenance and repairs only.

I think the majority of the MSCA by-laws are mainly descriptions of the roles the Board plays in the MSCA; I don't think there were many other rules connected insomuch as art shows, etc. I'll have to recheck it.

Something else, too, is that the SMT should consider some other special events. I don't know what they are or should be, though. The MSCA is able to have art shows. Dunno what other suggestions could go in there.
    That's why you have a board of directors! :)

3. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Yep, there comes a time when a club becomes big enough that if you don't collect dues someone(s) will go broke trying to keep it funded.

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm already well ahead of you there, Kevin. It'll all be there when I unveil the bylaws.

And thanks for the support. I've wrestled with this for a long time. I'm afraid it's become inevitable for the survival of the club.

5. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    What, no "I love democracy." speech..?! :)

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Well, I was just going to dissolve the Senate and declare myself Emperor for life, but I realized that it was costing me a fortune. :p

7. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    You need to get some Star Wars lobbyists or do like Willie and John and work some business deals that will benefit you!

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    If that were the case, we wouldn't be worrying about dues!

9. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Well I understand that dues need to be collected but I will have to take the penalties of not paying the dues. So it's been nice hanging out with you all but I don't think it's fair if I try to participate without paying my share. It will be quite awhile (months maybe even a year) before Trish and I are in a position to literally be able to afford one penny to give away.

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Chuck: I'm currently working on the website, and in the restructuring I'm added a Paypal cart with payment options for dues. You would certainly qualify for the "financial hardship" clause that I mentioned in my initial post, and you could pay in monthly installments of $3.50 each, making it more affordable. (This can also be paid by cash or check instead of Paypal.)

I appreciate your understanding and support of this change in club policy and procedure, but I don't want you, or anyone else, to feel that you're being excluded because of dues. This is why I decided to implement the quarterly and monthly payment plans. Granted, you're paying $7 additional per year to cover the financing and any Paypal fees, but it makes it a little easier to pay.

11. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Right now, We literally cannot afford 5 cents a month. We are flat broke and what little money we do or will have goes to bills, gas, etc... We are both unemployed with little hope of becoming employed anytime soon. We were going to be at the midnight showing and troop until everyone went into the movie and then go home because we can't afford to even see the movie. So we will contact you when things change.

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Allow me to reiterate a few things I posted earlier:

"Also, we will implement a donation container at every SMT event for the raising of additional funds for the club. These funds, unlike dues, may be used to cover food and drinks at future SMT events, as well as maintenance costs for the continuance of our Drive-In Nights or other legitimate club expenses. An announcement will be made to all in attendence asking for a donation at every event. Non-members in attendance will be asked for a donation to help cover the costs of the event, and will also be approached regarding membership into the club.

I am willing to explore the possibility of allowing those who cannot afford to pay all at once to pay either monthly or semi-annually via PayPal, cash, or check, (at $3.50 a month or $21 semi-annually, with the additional $7 collected annually covering the cost of financing) . I would like to limit the use of this option, however, to students, members under 18 years of age, or those who can show legitimate hardship. Also, for those who do not pay dues, a donation to the club fund will be requested at each event to help defray event and club operational expenses."

As I said earlier, I have decided to go ahead with the latter half of that statement. Dues can be paid in installments for those who have legitimate financial hardship.

Chuck: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I sincerely hope that things will turn around for you soon, and I look forward to seeing you in the near future.

13. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Every Jedi is an enemy of the Republic... oh, wait. That was supposed to be a secret, wasn't it?

:p

Count me in! For whatever...

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Roo. You've been right there with me supporting this club since the very beginning. You know where I'm coming from in doing this as much as anyone else.

15. TheDarknessX

TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2002
    I applaud you Tim for taking this step in the growth of this community. The dues are a much-needed process in us becoming a more organized and constructive organization. My hopes are that this group will continue to grow and succeed in the future. I don?t see any problems with your plan and I hope that everyone will see this as a necessity in keeping this assembly as successful or even more so now and in the years to come...

Count me in as well.

16. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    I support The Idea. "good Job"

17. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    Hear, hear! (or is it here, here? :confused: )

Don't be a stranger because of this Chuck. I hope y'all get jobs soon. Hope to see you tonight.

18. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Tim: Drive-In Night maintenance (including the upcoming purchase of a new bulb for the digital projector)

Sheesh! Having researched projectors, I know this can be 'spensive. Depending on the model, it can cost from $250-$500 just for the bulb. Heck, that'll probably eat up most of the first year dues.

So, will there be a seperate bank account set up for the SMT, or a big coffee can with all of the moolah?

-Joe

19. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    i've only been around for a short time, but i understand the situation. it certainly is unfair that so few have been relied on to fund on behalf of all of us... i support the dues. thanks for being so diplomatic and understanding all of the issues at hand, Tim.

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    A big thanks to all of you who have been so supportive of this change in policy. I'm very hopeful that this change will not only help ensure the future survival of the club, but make members feel they have more of a say in what goes on and in how the club is managed because of their investment. I know that a lot of you love this group as much as I do, and the overwhelming support of what was a very difficult decision to make has really put my mind to rest.

Elliott: I really appreciate your positive response to this. It's nice to see that someone who is extremely new to the group understands the need for dues.

Joe: We may eek by this season without having to replace the bulb, but its a wait-and-see situation. The last time I checked, the bulb price was nearly $600. Meaning that it would take 20 paid memberships just to replace the bulb and pay for the website. Hopefully, our donation jar will help in this as well.

As far as the handling of the funds, I'd really like to open an SMT checking account. Kevin, (who, as the President of the MSCA, has been extremely helpful to me as I've made these changes), has hooked me up with someone at Regions bank where we can get free checking.

21. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    That's cool. I'm going to talk to Pat and Todd about the haunt kicking in on the bulb fund since we used it last year before we got one for the haunt. We told Rhonda we'd get a replacement one for her. Pat may be able to shop around and find one cheaper.

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    That's great, Lin. It would really help us out.

23. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Tim, PM me (or include in your next e-mail :p ) the brand and model of the projector and I will check with some Home Theater Forum geeks on the best place to get a replacement.

-Joe

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Joe. I appreciate the help.

25. blackdogotaku

blackdogotaku Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    question!

who is counted as a member? only ppl listed as a member on the SMT site, or everyone who reguarly attends (or tries to) SMT events and posts on the boards?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.