main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Important Notice: SMT Dues (Due date: June 4th)

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I the past, I considered anyone who participates in either to be a member, but this is changing with the implementation of dues. We really encourage active participation, especially when it comes to attending meetings and events. So, in reality, if you're not a paying member, you're really more an associate of the club, not an "official" member. We can't charge you for using TFN. We wouldn't want to if we could. (Just don't give TFN any ideas!) But, we do want to offer perks to those who do contribute by paying dues, including special events for dues-paying members only. Hopefully, we'll be able to expand those perks, but all of that will depend on just how much we end up collecting. And, maybe as time goes on, and if paid membership does grow enough, we'll eventually be able to lower the price of dues. But, that is dependent on the classic laws of supply and demand, and on the costs of maintaining the club.

All I ask is that folks stop and think about all that we do, and ask themselves if they enjoy it enough to make a financial investment to help ensure that it continues. And if you're not ready to pay the fees to join, then do please consider making a donation at the events that you do attend and enjoy. The support, in either form, is not only necessary to make sure that these events can continue, but also are appreciated by the club.

I've heard from a couple of people who are having a problem coming up with the funds within the time frame I allotted for implementation of the dues system. I am willing to be a little more flexible in this, so I will move the date back to June 3rd- meaning that dues will be due exactly one month from the date of my announcement. Also, please remember that we are offering payments to be made in one lump sum, semiannually, and, in special cases, quarterly and monthly. Granted, you'll pay a little more if you choose to spread the payments out because, in a sense, you are financing it instead of paying the full amount on the due date.

Also, I'm also going to make it where you can pay these dues, in any of the methods I just mentioned, via Paypal with you credit card or checking account. (Please note that applicable fees will apply to cover the charges that Paypal imposes.)

2. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    *appears out of the shadows, arms crossed, behind the Emperor*

(That means "I agree" in case you didn't know. :) ) Membership dues for the SMT are cheaper than a subscription to the Star Wars Insider. Go fer it.

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    And how many events have you attended in the past 2 1/2 years that "Star Wars Insider" has presented?

Thanks for the support, Grace!

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm upping this since we've had an influx of newbies here on the boards.

5. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    Thanks for changing the date, man. With the cost of costume junk and other junk I really don't need (including McDonald's Big-n-tasty's), I couldn't pull it together in time.

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Hey, I'm not completely inflexible! :p I'm only a half tyrant.

7. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    half-tyr...!!

You mean I decided to join the Sith side of things only to follow the leadership of a half-tyrant?!

You better be glad I'm an only child and full of evil!! Bring that 'balance' to your ranks.

And trust me, I'm rank.
    whew.

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    You believed me when I said I was only a "half tyrant"? [face_devil]

It is as I have foreseen.

9. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    COOL!!!

*Pokes chest out in pride.*

My leader IS evil!!
    WOOT!

10. Schmootika

Schmootika Jedi Master star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    Ok...here's a good one. Is the dues for each person or will you try to do a special price for a family membership??

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    It's for each person. However, I don't see a need to charge for members' children under 13. (And I'd like to make that ammendment to the dues clause if no one objects. Why 13? Well, if the highest rating for a SW movie is 13, then I think that would be a good benchmark for membership.) Frankly, most people really don't bring their kids that often to events, and we're mainly an adult group, so I just don't see a need to even bother with child membership levels.

I thought about family memberships, and even couples memberships, but I knew that many of our single members would think it unfair that they're being charged more for a membership than each of their married counterparts. So, to keep things completely equal, there will only be one membership level and price,(which is exactly how the official fan club handles it.) I'll have to purchase two memberships, too, so I don't feel so bad about making that rule.

12. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Hmmmm...things are pretty tight here financially, but I'll try to smuggle some funds into the group whenever I get an available chance.

Tim (and others...you know who you are), I don't know how you've done it without dues this long. I commend you all for your dedication to what we birthed almost 4 years ago. I hate that I've been AWOL for almost 2 of those years, but some things are just beyond our control. I do miss my friends, and hope to meet all the ones that have come in since, soon.

May the Dues be with you!

Yoda says, "Shake & Bake it is...and help I did."

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Just a friendly reminder that SMT dues are due tomorrow. Also, I've set up the system so that payments can be made via PayPal. Please check out the SMT website for more info.

Also, the full set of SMT Bylaws has been posted on the SMT Message boards on our website. Be sure to check them out.

14. MisterBlunt

MisterBlunt Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    Paid by paypal. :D

15. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    I'm getting a funky error everytime I try to pay w/paypal, so I'll try once more later, and if it doesn't work then, I'll give you a check!

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Whatever works best for you, Kell.

17. Schmootika

Schmootika Jedi Master star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    Since I couldn't come by this weekend, I send my monies by Paypal. Woohoo....a dues paying geek!! I feel so special...

18. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Tim, I'm so sorry I've been so bad with the dues. To be honest, I may have to go on one of the installment plans for this year.

Some very irksome bills have got me bogged down, as well as my b*** manager refuses to give me more hours at work. Ever since I started that job, I've only gotten around $90-$100 for my paycheck every two weeks. That's around fifty dollars a week. I requested more hours, but she's given me even less. I can't even fill up my gastank with the amount I'm paid ('cause bills always get first priority). This week, I work only seven hours. If my hours problem doesn't get better, I'm quitting that worthless job.

Believe me, I'm very embarassed that I can't handle a lousy $35.00 due. I only hope that I'm not being viewed as a negligent delinquent. I apologize profusely. I'll get what I can to you ASAP.

-Grace*

19. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Considering your situation, you would certainly qualify to pay by any of the installment plans, Grace.

And don't worry about it- Only 13 members have paid so far. We're slowly getting there, and I'm not really going to harp on it until next month when certain events will go members-only. (And the biggest event of the year... the Saga Campout.... will be members-only as well.)

20. MisterBlunt

MisterBlunt Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    13, huh? I was just going to ask that. How many do you estimate were at least marginally active before the Dues?

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Of the 13 paid memberships:

1 is extremely new (around a month)
    1 is fairly new (about 2 months)
    3 have been members just under a year
    5 have been around for over 2 years
    3 are founding members

How's that for a census? :p

22. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    Sorry, I didn't phrase my question very well. I meant 13 out of how many? ...But interesting breakdown.

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Off the top of my head... 13 out of 22.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.