main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

IMPORTANT: Regarding the upcoming Jedi Council Forums move

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AdamBertocci, Feb 1, 2012.

1. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Okay folks.

As some of you know, for a long time it's been hinted that the Jedi Council Forums will be migrating from IGN's system and server to a new home. It looks like that time is upon us, more or less.

There will be a period of transition but the idea is that all the old posts and threads will be coming with us, nothing will be lost. <b>Make sure, however, that you have a current e-mail address listed as your 'private e-mail' in your user settings. You will need that to get your password on the new board. Otherwise you will be locked out of your name.</b>

Now. There's a lot that we know and a lot that we don't know. Here are some things that we _do_ know.

<i>When is this going to happen?</i>
    IGN is planning to export our forum data at some point in the coming weeks. We have not yet decided on an exact date.

<i>What effect will it have?</i>
    The JC is about to undergo a major upgrade. After the move, all the current glitches like new user registrations and email notifications will finally work again.

<i>What will we do to entertain ourselves during the move?</i>
    We will be creating a temp board in the interim. Once the boards are officially shut down for the move, boards.theforce.net will automatically forward you to the temp board.

<i>What will the temp board be like?</i>
    Ever heard the phrase "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"? Sort of like that.
    The temp board will not be exactly like the TFN you know and love. It may or may not even have a Fan Films forum. I personally am looking forward to it in a weird way, it will give us all a chance to make some new friends, shake things up a bit.
    It will not have our old posts or usernames or anything. Nor will anything on it be transferred over to the real TFN, once said real TFN is back online.
    It will basically just be a place to hang out until the move has been completed. The temp board is going to be a brand new board - nothing from this board is going to be transferred to it, which means you will have to register a new temporary account in order to post. No threads or posts will be transferred either. After the move is completed, the temp board will be shut down, and we will all resume our regularly scheduled programming.

<i>How long will the temp board be around?</i>
    IGN will be exporting all the data from this forum and converting it into a database compatible with Xenforo. They will then mail us the data on a hard drive, which will then be imported into the new board set up on TFN's servers. We expect it to take somewhere between 1 to 3 weeks, depending on how long each step of the process takes to complete.

<i>What happens when the move is completed?</i>
    When the move has been completed and we've had the chance to verify the import process, boards.theforce.net will automatically switch over to the new board.

<i>How will the user experience of the new forums differ from the old?</i>
    I am not terribly clear on this, but it is our goal to make things as similar as we can make it. For example, we want to keep the same big lovely selection of user icons, and the same famous banner styles you're used to here at the Jedi Council. We may not be able to make that happen on Day 1 of the new board's existence. Our priority is getting the new boards set up so we can talk to each other?we will figure out the aesthetics later.

I realize you may have questions and I will try to answer them. (But be aware that I am not a techie.) You might also visit the Jedi Council's "News & Announcements" or "Communications" forum for more info.

Above all, the two takeaways should be:

(1) Bear with us. We don't always have all the information when or how we want it, we're just taking this one step at a time.

(2) Your password will not be transferred, so in order to log in for the first time, you will need to have your password emailed to you via the email associated with your account. <b>Please make sure you have a current e-mail address associated with your account. I cannot stress this enough.</b>

Rick McCallum loves you!

2. Teague

Teague Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2006
    Exciting.

3. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    I'm kind of looking forward to it now... especially since you mention the possibility of new folks during the temp board, some mingling of userbases.

4. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    [image=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11779069/cat_change.jpg]

5. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    Some point in the coming weeks? Got it, 2015.

6. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    I just looked around for a like button. This is why I don't hang out here anymore.

7. Sojourn

Sojourn Jedi Master star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    All the best with the move! Though I do find it mildly amusing that in this internet age, this is going to require physically mailing a hard drive around to protect all our information. :)

8. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    [image=http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/file_transfer.png]

9. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Sad. It's like the end of an era. This forum has more a less looked the same since I joined in 2001.

10. Sojourn

Sojourn Jedi Master star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Perfect.