main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Importing DV into AE...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Raptor386, Apr 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raptor386

Raptor386 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2002
    I'm having a slight problem and I'm hoping that you guys might have some ideas.

I've noticed from several of my previous projects that when I import DV into after effects, edit it, and export it, it doesn't seem nearly as smooth as the original DV footage. I didn't notice it at first until I edited all of the scenes together (edited and unedited) in Premiere and then exported it to a SVCD and played it in my dvd player. The unedited DV footage is totally smooth, but the edited version seems to be playing back at 3/4 the framerate. The timing and sound and everything is right, it just seems to have dropped frames while importing into AE. I know it's not because of exporting from AE, because my animated logos are totally smooth.

I'm importing the DV into a composition with NTSC settings (720X480, 0.9 pixel aspect, and 29.97 fps) which are identical to the origional DV files, but it still seems to drop frames. It's not extreme, but it just bugs me that it's not perfect. :)

Is it something to do with "Upper Field" and "Lower Field" settings in the interpret footage dialog? Or am I just being too picky?

2. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    not sure if I read all correctly -
    where ist the dv being caught from?

Here's my process -
    Dv caught in premeire -
    set up in a timeline for output through premeire. output the individual clips in premeire as DV to edit in AE - add effects, render back out as DV - deinterlacing the footage using pixels method. replace the footage in the premire timeline - render out the audio and video into dv format.
    I have a file i can output back to tape.

now if I output to SVCD, I render that file into divx full quality - deinterlaced. then I turn that file into an Mpeg2 using tmpegencoder ntsc lower field.

the playback i get on SVCD is usually flawless, a couple of pixels off (720X480) but I can live with that.

not sure if it helps at all.

3. JasonRJM

JasonRJM Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2001
    Is there a link to Pixels de-interlace method? I'd like to check it out.

4. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO

QUI_TIN_TARANTINO Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    here you go,
    tried it not long ago, does make a huge diffence,even with poor footage.

Pixel's site :)

5. Raptor386

Raptor386 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2002
    Ah... I see, the upper and lower fields are only half the motion blur.

Thanks for the tutorial!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.