main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***Importing ICARUS into MAYA***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by georginiou, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georginiou

georginiou Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2005
    Hey everyone, I'm at present trying to learn Icarus, seems like a cool program. My 3D application of choice is Maya 4.5 (at the moment).

Before I set out on a painful trial and error process that will no doubt leave me crying like a baby, I was just wondering if anyone knows how to import Icarus data into Maya, and if they would be willing to enlighten me...

Look forward to hearing from you.

Peace!
    Geo.

2. frodoandsam69

frodoandsam69 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2004
    Search for 'Icarus' on this forum, there was a major video tutorial put up a while back!

3. cooljack91

cooljack91 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2004
  4. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    While Colin does not specifically note that Icarus can export data for Maya, it can export as some sort of raw text format and also as MEL scripting, which both Maya can interperet. I was giving it a try some time ago, but never got too deep into it because I was having a lot of problems getting a decent set of keyframes out of Icarus and I wasn't (still am not) sure how to solve the problem. So I can't say I've done it myself, but it's allegedly possible.

5. georginiou

Jan 5, 2005
    Hey,

yeah Icarus will export data as a maya script file (.mel), so it must be compatable. I'm just unsure what method I have to use to get that data into Maya, unfortunately this isnt the kind of thing written in Maya's guide book!

If anyone can give me some leads, I'd be so grateful. I know there are others suffering with the 'icarus to maya dilema', so once we've cracked it, it can be explained on these boards.

If anyone knows of a method, let it be said...

All the best people,
    Geo.

6. gallion311

gallion311 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Just a side note about the topic, I was recently giving Icarus a try, but I use Cinema 4d, so I was puzzled as to how to export to Cinema 4D from Icarus.

I even called up Maxon (cinema developer) support to see of they had some advice. They said they didn't know, and I almost gave up. But as a last ditch effort, I exported a .lws (lightwave scene file) and Cinema was able to import the file.

So add Cinema 4d to the list of programs Icarus can work with.

7. georginiou

Jan 5, 2005
    i wonder if a lightwave file is importable into maya, I'll have to look into it.

Strange really, coz on effstops icarus video tutorials, there is definitely an option to export the 3D data into an .ma file, or in other words a maya scene file, which would be perfect. But, on the copy of Icarus I have, that option isnt there! shame.

I guess I'll have to try and have a go with maya live for camera matching, or see if anyone can get a proper copy of boujou.

I have an awesome boujou test footage to show you, can anyone tell me how to upload it into the thread?

Peace people.

8. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    To upload: You have to have your own hosting. Drop some $$$ (it's not expensive) on a host, or find some other place to host your videos. Sorenson 3 quicktime gives you probably your best compatibility/quality/size ratio, so I suggest you use that for your video codec.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.