main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rocky M, NC Impressive, most impressive

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Lodreh, Nov 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lodreh

Lodreh Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    I read an interesting thread the other day so I decided to look for myself and lo' and behold I noticed something new in The Empire Strikes Back. In the carbonite freezing chamber Leia and Darth Vader share a moment. The general consensus is Leia and Vader sense something about the other but neither one are able to identify what it is. It is possible that Vader got a strong Force impression from Leia which starts his mind thinking... during their final confrontation, Luke provides the final piece.

More random thoughts...

Lod Reh Sajon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

2. joe-da

joe-da Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    Maybe Vader was just mocking her, saying silently "Yes, this is what happens when someone defies the Empire.:

And maybe Leia is looking at Vader in incredulity, wondering "How can someone be so cruel?"

Or maybe not.

But do we know for sure if Lucas intended on the Father/Daughter relations during the ESB production time frame? That in itself would reveal much...

Oh the questions that lead to more questions are the best.... Aren't they? (another question...)

Life can be cruel.

3. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    Though several people contend that Lucas originally had not planned on Leia being Luke's sister... I think it was set in stone by the time Empire hit the silver screen. Given that, I can see Lucas having Vader hint at the fact to Leia just before he reveals his relationship to Luke in their first confrontation. Only problem with this... Lucas would then be having a character who does not know, foreshadow one of the bigger points in Return of the Jedi. Still stranger things have happened and I would not put it past Lucas to tease the audience with this till Jedi.

Just a thought...

Lod Reh Sajon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

4. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    Adding to the carbonite scene, chew on this one....

Notice when Chewy goes berserk, that Boba Fett raises his rifle to pop him. Darth Vader immediately slaps it down, restraining him. We all know about THAT part, but the question is... why?

Was it because of all the gases in the room, and it could cause an explosion? I say no, because later, Luke and Vader battle in there, and many sparks do fly, therefore killing that notion.

Here is what I think happens... I think Vader recognizes C-3PO and keeps Boba from destroying him. C-3PO is on Chewys back, and Chewys back IS facing Fett and Vader when Fett started to shoot. Chew on that for a bit, eh? :)

5. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    Interesting call on the Boba Fett, C3-PO exchange... but I?d have to disagree. Remember the the first time we see C3-PO and R2-D2 the is a very similar droid behind C3-PO not to mention the fact there was one in tPM ( it brings refreshment to the Jedi Knights TC-14 I believe). Needless to say I doubt Vader would notice that the droid on Chewy's back is his former C3-PO.

Vader wanted the Wookie and Leia to be brought to his ship remember how he ?alters? the deal with Lando? So the question becomes why? Why does Vader want Leia and Chewy? I think it?s because Vader senses something in Leia and if Luke can not be turned to the Dark Side then he wants to train Leia and usurp the Emperor. Because of this he makes Boba Fett lower his blaster so not to hit Leia. I believe Vader thinks he can control Leia by having the Wookie prisoner and threaten to hurt Chewy if she does not cooperate. Leia may be able to take the pain but she can not seem to stand seeing other?s suffer. Think back to A New Hope when she panics at the sight of her home planet being destroyed.

So the plot thickens...

Lod Reh Sajon ~

6. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    Ah, another good idea! I like it, although I am going to have to stick to my theory. ;) I still believe he DOESNT know about leia at that point, because he seems very surprised in ROTJ when Lukes feelings give her away.

"Obi-Wan's failure is now complete"

7. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    Ah, but Luke's feelings gives away the connection to Leia NOT the fact that Vader senses great potential in her abilities. Not so much a Father/Daughter relationship I think Vader still feels that the Force is unusually strong with Leia as well. Therefore Vader is surprised that Leia is Luke's sister NOT the fact she is strong in the Force.

Just an idea :).

Lod Reh Sajon ~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.